HF's Team Board Mock Draft

Leafed

Jan 28, 2009
Hey everybody. There's always variations of these every year on this site. The idea is to try to reach a consensus for who each team might pick would the fans of that team be in control.

This does not take into account any previous polls before it. Only the results of this poll will affect the numbers going forward.

Here are the results of the one I set up two seasons ago http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1697411

There's around a month left until the draft, so there will be 24 hours for each pick. Obviously, we're only looking for the fans of each team to vote on their pick. This also assumes no trades will be made between picks.

Flyers fans, you have the 18th overall pick!

1. :leafs C Auston Matthews 98%

2. :jets RW Patrik Laine 98%

3. :cbj RW Jesse Puljujarvi 95%

4. :edmonton C/LW PierreLuc Dubois 47%

5. :nucks LW Matthew Tkachuk 91%

6. :flames RW/LW Alexander Nylander 58%

7. :coyotes C Logan Brown 48%

8. :sabres D Jacob Chychrun 55%

9. :habs D Olli Juolevi 36%

10. :avs C/LW Tyson Jost 53%

11. :devils C/LW Clayton Keller 85%

12. :sens D Mikhail Sergachyov 46%

13. :canes C/LW Kieffer Bellows 69%

14. :bruins D Dante Fabbro 78%

15. :wild C/RW Luke Kunin 60%

16. :wings D Charles McAvoy 40%

17. :nashville RW Julien Gauthier

18. :flyers

19. :isles

20. :coyotes

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I chose Dahlen, even though it is a slight reach, because he is the player I want. I'd love to grab Jones here and then nip back into the first for Dahlen.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Yea got to go McLeod here. Combination of speed and skill is always great to have.

Leafed

Jan 28, 2009
Thanks for running these polls. The results are very interesting.

I think so too. Thanks for appreciating them...even in your draft thread I saw a few people alluding to the polls, so thanks.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Man, really tough choice between McLeod and Max Jones.

McLeod is a takeaway and breakaway machine with his speed.

But he doesn't seem to have much of a shot. All of his goals (and he doesn't have prolific totals) come from one-on-ones, tap-ins, and goalie flubs.

I could see McLeod as a Ryan O'Reilly type NHLer, but I like Max Jones a little more. Much better shot and size; excellent physicality; and good speed, though not like McLeod's jets.

Very tough call, but when it comes down to it I'd rather have Jones.

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
Being of German ancestry is not the reason I went with a guy having the same name.
I only saw him play a few times on tv, but I liked what I saw. 200 ft game, high hockey iq. And I'm guessing hexy will favor a center over a winger.
Yah thanks for doing the poll.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Man, really tough choice between McLeod and Max Jones.

McLeod is a takeaway and breakaway machine with his speed.

But he doesn't seem to have much of a shot. All of his goals (and he doesn't have prolific totals) come from one-on-ones, tap-ins, and goalie flubs.

I could see McLeod as a Ryan O'Reilly type NHLer, but I like Max Jones a little more. Much better shot and size; excellent physicality; and good speed, though not like McLeod's jets.

Very tough call, but when it comes down to it I'd rather have Jones.

Max is only a inch taller so don't know if the size difference would be that much of a difference.

McLeod's vision with the puck seems to be alot better than Jones' so I guess it depends if one thinks the difference in their goal scoring, which I don't know is too much, really makes Jones' the better choice.

I can see why one would question this though.

pucksandpups

Feb 18, 2015
Chicago, IL
This is a tough one. If this is how things shake out I hope we trade up for a better forward. I'm kind of torn between Jones, McLeod, and Bean but I voted Bean because I think he could end up being the most valuable player long term. That being said I really really really do not want another LHD. I wish I had the draft guide I ordered so I could have read up on Rubtsov and Tufte a little more before voting though. I really don't know a ton about either of those guys.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
His star has dimmed but I'd have a tough time passing on McLeod. I'm not a Jones fan. I like Rubstov but don't think he's a Flyer pick. I could definitely see Howden or Laberge being players they would select though. Tufte if they wanted to swing for the fences.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
When we try and figure out who we want, it's a natural tendency to "like" a certain player over another due to the amount of info gained on each guy. I said it before, I have not really looked a lot into McLeod because I thought he would be a top 10 pick...since that is what things have been showing up to this point.

And for that reason, I find myself wanting Rubstov for a future C or Jones for LW. But with McLeod dropping, he seems like the logical pick. He had very similar stats to Konecny his draft year, but has size and plays C. He also had better stats than Jones. And things I am reading about him, and seeing, look good.

We have help coming on the wings and D. We really need a top 6 C prospect and reports are he is good defensively. He can come in and start on the 3rd line which by that time, we should have 3 lines that can add offense.

McLeod please.

Les Averman

Mar 3, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
When we try and figure out who we want, it's a natural tendency to "like" a certain player over another due to the amount of info gained on each guy. I said it before, I have not really looked a lot into McLeod because I thought he would be a top 10 pick...since that is what things have been showing up to this point.

And for that reason, I find myself wanting Rubstov for a future C or Jones for LW. But with McLeod dropping, he seems like the logical pick. He had very similar stats to Konecny his draft year, but has size and plays C. He also had better stats than Jones. And things I am reading about him, and seeing, look good.

We have help coming on the wings and D. We really need a top 6 C prospect and reports are he is good defensively. He can come in and start on the 3rd line which by that time, we should have 3 lines that can add offense.

McLeod please.

Pretty much agreed here. I'd also love to add a guy with his skating to the prospect pool down the middle.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Max is only a inch taller so don't know if the size difference would be that much of a difference.

McLeod's vision with the puck seems to be alot better than Jones' so I guess it depends if one thinks the difference in their goal scoring, which I don't know is too much, really makes Jones' the better choice.

I can see why one would question this though.

On video, Jones appears much more physically imposing than McLeod, regardless of listed sizes. Jones is tall, broad-shouldered and looks "big," whereas McLeod simply doesn't look small.

Jones, of course, also uses his size and strength as major elements of his game, whereas with McLeod his size is a complement rather than a difference-maker.

I agree that McLeod shows more vision with his game than Jones, as one would usually expect from a center.

So you've got:

Skating: McLeod > Jones
Goals/shot: Jones > McLeod
Vision/passing: McLeod > Jones
Size: Jones > McLeod
Physicality: Jones >> McLeod
Two-way play: McLeod = Jones

Really tough call and you probably can't go wrong either way. But I lean Jones because that toughness factor + goal scoring potential is really tough to find, and he is still a good skater.

Also, I see no argument for ever drafting Tufte over Jones if both are available. Jones' offensive numbers far eclipse Tufte's when they played on the same US development squads.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Who is an NHL comparable for McLeod - someone with speed to burn, decent two-way player, but not much creativity and not a great shot (if what you guys are saying about him is true) ?

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
I'd take McLeod or Rubstov for this poll, although I really doubt McLeod falls this far on draft day.

I'll just vote McLeod because I've actually seen him play. Rubstov seems like a great candidate, but I'm strictly going on scouting reports and YouTube, which is scary.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
On video, Jones appears much more physically imposing than McLeod, regardless of listed sizes. Jones is tall, broad-shouldered and looks "big," whereas McLeod simply doesn't look small.

Jones, of course, also uses his size and strength as major elements of his game, whereas with McLeod his size is a complement rather than a difference-maker.

I agree that McLeod shows more vision with his game than Jones, as one would usually expect from a center.

So you've got:

Really tough call and you probably can't go wrong either way. But I lean Jones because that toughness factor + goal scoring potential is really tough to find, and he is still a good skater.

Also, I see no argument for ever drafting Tufte over Jones if both are available. Jones' offensive numbers far eclipse Tufte's when they played on the same US development squads.

Agreed. It was a tough one, Jones and McLeod are both good. I took Jones just because he would look great on LW with Giroux.... We should be so lucky that Hexy has a dilemma like this on Draft Day. :)

Les Averman

Mar 3, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA

So you've got:

I think you're also leaving out puck handling and skill, which McLeod certainly has the advantage in. I think the vision & passing is a pretty big difference in the two as well. McLeod may also have the advantage in two-way play the more I think about it.

Obviously the goal scoring and shot belongs to Jones pretty easily, and it'd be nice to have a true left winger who plays with grit and has a nice shot on him. At this point, I'd just find it hard to leave a guy on the board who looks like a pretty sure bet to be a middle 6 center with a 200 foot game, especially given how depleted our corps is down the middle. The shot is a bit of a concern to me as this team desperately needs some finishers. But at the same time, we also could really use the speed, transition game and playmaking of a guy like him. It'd be a tough call but I'd go with McLeod.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Tufte played 7 games for the USDP.

2014-2015 US National U17 Team

Jones 38 games, 18 goals, 10 assists, 28 points
Tufte 7 games, 0 goals, 1 assist, 1 point

2014-2015 USA WHC-17 Tournament Team

Jones 6 games, 7 goals, 4 assists, 11 points
Tufte 6 games, 0 goals, 1 assist, 1 point

No comparison.

He Is Knocking

Jul 1, 2015
I'd like to vote McLeod. Having a moron moment or three..... How do I do it?

Disaster averted, voted McLeod

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
2014-2015 US National U17 Team

Jones 38 games, 18 goals, 10 assists, 28 points
Tufte 7 games, 0 goals, 1 assist, 1 point

2014-2015 USA WHC-17 Tournament Team

Jones 6 games, 7 goals, 4 assists, 11 points
Tufte 6 games, 0 goals, 1 assist, 1 point

No comparison.
You're posting overlapping stats.

Tufte joins the team mid-season, he's not getting thrown in on the top line. Besides, what they did at 16 has little to do with their NHL potential. Marc-Andre Gragnani was once thought to be a better player than Marc-Edouard Vlasic when they played Minor hockey together.

Compare Tufte to what other Minnesota HS players did- Blake Wheeler, Nick Bjugstad, and Brock Nelson.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I voted McLeod. I like Jones a lot too but the thought of adding McLeod's speed and versatility was too much to pass up.

Jones being just the 4th best forward and 5th best player overall on his team is a factor for me too.

Last edited:

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
You're posting overlapping stats.

Tufte joins the team mid-season, he's not getting thrown in on the top line. Besides, what they did at 16 has little to do with their NHL potential. Marc-Andre Gragnani was once thought to be a better player than Marc-Edouard Vlasic when they played Minor hockey together.

Compare Tufte to what other Minnesota HS players did- Blake Wheeler, Nick Bjugstad, and Brock Nelson.

Actually, I think you will find that -- over a large sample -- what players accomplish at 16 has a higher correlation with NHL success than what they accomplish at age 17. It's a strange observation I've noticed over many years of analyzing the draft.

Regardless, Tufte accomplished nothing on the US team, and Jones accomplished a lot. I'll give you that Tufte's sample size is small, but I just don't see the evidence for picking Tufte over Jones.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Voted Mcleod, but Jones size and natural LW is intriguing.

Wouldn't hate trading back a few spots either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad