HF's Team Board Mock Draft

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Is Juolevi better than Olli Maata or Cody Ceci? Remember this is pick 7. Not 17. I think it's a legitimate question. It's so hard to judge that player because he plays in London.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Voted Juolevi.

If this is the way that the draft plays out, I would highly suggest moving back and looking at the tier of Bean/Fabbro/McAvoy in the 10-17 range.

Logan Brown is enticing - for those who question whether or not MacInnis or Letunov could be considered consistent enough players to replace Hanzal down the road - are we looking at that from a points perspective, games played perspective, or taking some oddball penalties perspective? I hope it is understood that while Hanzal is pretty consistent in terms of points scored, etc. - there are some inconsistencies (beginning with health) that would lend me to believe that the C depth is well enough to pass on Brown and let another team move up for him.

cactus shake

Oct 22, 2013
For those who think 7 is too early to pick a defenceman, with which pick would you first take one?

If there is huge variance in how the defencemen are ranked as Mackenzie's reports suggest, there's a chance our scouts are significantly higher on one over the others. I like the power the pick has in terms of likely getting first pick of the defencemen. Definitely seems like a year where the scouting staff really earns their paycheck. If all Dmen are considered a reach at 7, there's a fun range of skillsets in the highest ranked forwards - would love to be a fly on the wall when it comes to ranking those players. I do really like Brown's upward trajectory.

The only outcome I'm nervous for would be trying to rush someone like Chychrun to the NHL next year.

Is Juolevi better than Olli Maata or Cody Ceci? Remember this is pick 7. Not 17. I think it's a legitimate question. It's so hard to judge that player because he plays in London.
I don't have the knowledge to give any answer to that, but I was similarly looking back over previous drafts and wondered how Dougie Hamilton's draft year compared to Sergachev's. Did Hamilton look a good year ahead in terms of his development on the defensive side of the game, while being a bit behind offensively?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
For those who think 7 is too early to pick a defenceman, with which pick would you first take one?

If there is huge variance in how the defencemen are ranked as Mackenzie's reports suggest, there's a chance our scouts are significantly higher on one over the others. I like the power the pick has in terms of likely getting first pick of the defencemen. Definitely seems like a year where the scouting staff really earns their paycheck. If all Dmen are considered a reach at 7, there's a fun range of skillsets in the highest ranked forwards - would love to be a fly on the wall when it comes to ranking those players. I do really like Brown's upward trajectory.

The only outcome I'm nervous for would be trying to rush someone like Chychrun to the NHL next year.

I don't have the knowledge to give any answer to that, but I was similarly looking back over previous drafts and wondered how Dougie Hamilton's draft year compared to Sergachev's. Did Hamilton look a good year ahead in terms of his development on the defensive side of the game, while being a bit behind offensively?

Drop down to 10 and snag Fabro and pick up a extra pick or D prospect.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
The only 3 players I'd pick are Brown, Sergachev, or Juolevi. The player I feel least comfortable with is Juolevi. I really want to like this player, but every time I watch him he gets beat wide. If you watched the London Red Deer game on Friday you'd know what I'm talking about. I counted 3 separate times where he just got walked. He does bring excellent offensive instincts that are hard to ignore though.

I voted Brown because I feel we can draft a defenseman at 20 closer in skill to Sergachev than a forward to Brown.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
The only 3 players I'd pick are Brown, Sergachev, or Juolevi. The player I feel least comfortable with is Juolevi. I really want to like this player, but every time I watch him he gets beat wide. If you watched the London Red Deer game on Friday you'd know what I'm talking about. I counted 3 separate times where he just got walked. He does bring excellent offensive instincts that are hard to ignore though.

I voted Brown because I feel we can draft a defenseman at 20 closer in skill to Sergachev than a forward to Brown.

I'm glad it's not just me poking at Juolevi

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Yeah, London's forwards are outstanding on the defensive side of the ice from what I've seen, they do a lot of heavy lifting. He's a scary pick to make

The Marner Dvorak Tkachuk line is a NHL line. It could be a AHL all star line today.

You can't underplay chemistry. U also can't say that only one player benefits from it. Ridiculous.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Ended up voting Brown. Not happy about it. :)

So I guess at this point I'm thinking:

1. Matthews
2. Laine
3. Puljujarvi
4. Tkachuk
5. Dubois
6. Brown
7. 3D
8. 3D
9. 3D
10.Keller
11.Nylander

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I definitely have Brown ahead of the 3D based on my own assessments and will be happy if he's the pick. However, I also find comfort in our scouts being OHL experts and will know the 3D (and Brown and Nylander) inside-out come draft day. If they pick a D, I have faith that their scouting abilities are better than mine.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I definitely have Brown ahead of the 3D based on my own assessments and will be happy if he's the pick. However, I also find comfort in our scouts being OHL experts and will know the 3D (and Brown and Nylander) inside-out come draft day. If they pick a D, I have faith that their scouting abilities are better than mine.

Provided chayka doesn't for some reason ignore the ohl scouts I agree completely, and with their track record I doubt he does. Whoever we take our scouts have earned the benefit of the doubt.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Ended up voting Brown. Not happy about it. :)

So I guess at this point I'm thinking:

1. Matthews
2. Laine
3. Puljujarvi
4. Tkachuk
5. Dubois
6. Brown
7. 3D
8. 3D
9. 3D
10.Keller
11.Nylander

If brown goes 6 and we miss out then I take Chychurn without a doubt. Even if he ends up more of a defensive player I'm still willing to bet he'd be a top 4 guy.

rt

May 13, 2004
If brown goes 6 and we miss out then I take Chychurn without a doubt. Even if he ends up more of a defensive player I'm still willing to bet he'd be a top 4 guy.

I think the Flames will take the best winger available. Unless they have a D way higher than most teams do. I can't see them going with a center.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Wow, Nylander at 11? Is this based on need? I'm not a huge fan of his game either (Boedker 2.0) but 11th seems quite low.

Grvmnd

Apr 20, 2015
Which of Brown, Juolevi, Sergachev, Chychrun, and Keller do you pick him over?

My first reaction is all of them. What's the knock on nylanders game? Is he just going to get stapled to the bench for not being defensive enough for tippett? It looks like he scores wherever he goes. His wjc line is solid but could have been silly if his brother didnt get hurt.

rt

May 13, 2004
My first reaction is all of them. What's the knock on nylanders game? Is he just going to get stapled to the bench for not being defensive enough for tippett? It looks like he scores wherever he goes. His wjc line is solid but could have been silly if his brother didnt get hurt.

Floats. Cherry picks. Usually quite invisible until he's not. Much like Vrbata in that way (offensively) or Mueller or Boedker, for that matter. All of the skill in the world. Always leaves you wanting. Low, low motor.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I have Nylander 6th, ahead of all of us those guys. At the same time, I don't really want him. Hoping Calgary takes him to save us from ourselves.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
I'm glad it's not just me poking at Juolevi
he was quite average that night. Looked slow and lethargic, wonder if was sick?? Is that typical of him in your opinion?

rt

May 13, 2004
he was quite average that night. Looked slow and lethargic, wonder if was sick?? Is that typical of him in your opinion?

He's played a lot of hockey this year. A lot more than he's used to. More than are typically played in Europe. By a lot. That might be part of the reason why. One possible explaination anyway.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
7OA to Montreal for 9OA and 39OA. Fair trade?

AZ picks up extra 2nd (3 total), creates flexibility and still get one of the top 3 DMen at 9.

Montreal gets Brown/Nylander at 7, still has another 2nd at 45.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
7OA to Montreal for 9OA and 39OA. Fair trade?

AZ picks up extra 2nd (3 total), creates flexibility and still get one of the top 3 DMen at 9.

Montreal gets Brown/Nylander at 7, still has another 2nd at 45.

If we r going D then I'm okay with that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad