HF's Team Board Mock Draft

Leafed

Jan 28, 2009
Hey everybody. There's always variations of these every year on this site. The idea is to try to reach a consensus for who each team might pick would the fans of that team be in control.

This does not take into account any previous polls before it. Only the results of this poll will affect the numbers going forward.

Here's the results of the one I set up two seasons ago http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1697411

There's just over a month left until the draft, so there will be 24 hours for each pick. Obviously, we're only looking for the fans of each team to vote on their pick. This also assumes no trades will be made between picks.

Coyotes fans, you have the seventh overall pick!

1. :leafs C Auston Matthews 98%

2. :jets RW Patrik Laine 98%

3. :cbj RW Jesse Puljujarvi 95%

4. :edmonton C/LW PierreLuc Dubois 47%

5. :nucks LW Matthew Tkachuk 91%

6. :flames RW/LW Alexander Nylander 58%

7. :coyotes

8. :sabres

9. :habs

10. :avs

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Logan Brown.

Upside is Zeno Chara as a skilled power forward. Needs to grow into his 6'6-6'7" inch frame and use to learn how to use it effectively but he can and will be a dominant player when he does.

You can't ignore this player. Unique unique talent.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
It is a bit of a reach to take Brown at 7. He is the fast riser though and the team will have a good book on him since he plays in Windsor.

I really haven't decided between the 3 Dmen. Something tells me it is a mistake to not take Chychrun but then Gormley.

6 - 12 are pretty much toss ups.

Interesting to see how it goes in June.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
The 3 D are just a bad option given how much better the forwards are.

I think given the selection that the best choice would be between Keller & Brown.

I chose Keller, but I'd be happy w/Brown

Decoyote

Nov 20, 2014
Norfolk, VA
Logan Brown is my choice as I think he'll be the biggest impact player and a Hanzal replacement.

Juolevi, Sergachev and Chychrun next in that order. I'd be glad to see management trade down a few spots but I don't think anyone in that range will bite.

I hope one of the d is available at 20.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
So difficult. This is one of the hardest draft choices in recent memory for me.

Biting the bullet and going Logan Brown though.

Draft Brown with the 7th, go defense heavy with the rest of the picks. Haha

Tad Mikowski

Hail to the King Baby
Sponsor
May 31, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I voted Olli J. But I would be so tempted to take brown. At 7 it's a bit of a reach and I'd rather trade back a spot or two and pick up another semi small asset if we target Brown

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
4 votes from people who never post in this forum, including both Chychrun votes. :shakehead:
This is impossible. Brown or one of the big three D (Juolevi, Sergachev, or Chychrun). I can't decide.
Voted Juolevi, but I'd be happy with any of the four.

I'd love to know if at any point during this process, Tim Bernhardt or maybe Steve Sullivan makes a phone call to Dylan Strome, Ryan MacInnis, Chris Fischer, Brendan Perlini or Chris Dvorak. All four of these guys play in the OHL, and if it was my job to make this pick for real, I'd be curious what Perlini and Fischer think of these three defensemen. They've played against them. Or to hear Strome's opinion of Brown vs McLeod. These kids aren't scouts, but it would be an interesting data point.

samabam

May 3, 2006
Munich
I think we could get a pretty enticing D prospect at #20, so it's just too tantalizing to get Brown.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
I chose brown but only because I think we can get the same quality dman (though lower odds) at 20 as we can with 7. Brown however seems to be a more unique player and could make for an absolute hell of a top 6

Domi - Strome - Duclair
Perlini - Brown - Merkley
Rieder - Dvorak - Garland/Fisher
Dauphin - MacInnis - Letunov

His pick puts our forwards over the top, even with half of the non NHL guys busting we have a legit looking top 6. Spend the rest of the picks on dman, and hope for 1-2 top 2 pairing guys. If we can manage to grab Fabbro at 20 and Hajek at 37 then I'd be unbelievably happy with our top 3 picks.

RedBeard

Aug 16, 2005
Phoenix
4 votes from people who never post in this forum, including both Chychrun votes. :shakehead:Voted Juolevi, but I'd be happy with any of the four.

I'd love to know if at any point during this process, Tim Bernhardt or maybe Steve Sullivan makes a phone call to Dylan Strome, Ryan MacInnis, Chris Fischer, Brendan Perlini or Chris Dvorak. All four of these guys play in the OHL, and if it was my job to make this pick for real, I'd be curious what Perlini and Fischer think of these three defensemen. They've played against them. Or to hear Strome's opinion of Brown vs McLeod. These kids aren't scouts, but it would be an interesting data point.

Long-time member, rarely a poster. Voted Brown. Second consideration was Bean. Too much risk at 7 and could be had by trading down, but love the potential.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Voted Brown as well; seems like the BPA (given the other picks) and fills a future need.

There may be a few others worth the pick, but I figure D will mostly be filled with UFAs and/or trades for the next 3 years, so Juolevi/Sergachev/Chychurn may not be picked.

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
I chose Olli J, but i wanted to choose Logan Brown. I was stupid and went based off of need rather than BPA.

I'd wager he needs about 2 years development.
Draft Brown, then trade Hanzal at this season's deadline or next years draft while his value is still high. Roll without Hanzal for a year or so by relying on Dylan Strome, and a combination of some of our current centers, free agents, and minor league guys like Gaudet until Brown is ready to come up.

It'll be like Hanzal never left. Except hopefully this time around we'll have a brick **** house 6'6 centerman.

Grvmnd

Apr 20, 2015
If we go brown, are we betting letunov / MacInnis dont become impactful nhl centers? Any way you slice it wed be set up to roll monster center one after the other for a long time. I'm ok with that.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
If we go brown, are we betting letunov / MacInnis dont become impactful nhl centers?

Those guys are nice prospects, but yeah I'd never in a million years bet on them to be impactful NHL players.

I haven't decided between Brown/Juolevi/Sergachyov. I probably just won't vote since the only one I've seen more than a game or two of is Juolevi.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
If we go brown, are we betting letunov / MacInnis dont become impactful nhl centers? Any way you slice it wed be set up to roll monster center one after the other for a long time. I'm ok with that.

Not expecting either of those two to be consistent NHL players. Could happen but doubt it

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
I have high hopes for both, but there are worse things in this world than "to roll monster center one after the other for a long time." Until Getzlaf, Thornton, Carter, Kopitar, Draisaitl, McDavid, Monahan, Sedin and Horvat all get the hell out of our division, we'll need size and skill and depth at center.

Last edited:

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site

Letunov unsigned. Will he sign or go UFA. I'm concerned.

MacInnis doesn't project in top 6.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
I'll be pretty stoked if we get Brown the more I think about it.

The player we draft won't be on the squad for a few years.

6-12 is a toss up between players. Yeah our defensive depth is pretty bad, but the player we draft won't be playing with us for a few years.

Go get Brown and continue to get bigger in size.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Brown was tied for 20th in scoring this year and he's still catching up to his body. There's more offense upside there than you might at first expect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad