HF's Team Board Mock Draft

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
I think the Flames will take the best winger available. Unless they have a D way higher than most teams do. I can't see them going with a center.

Maybe not, if they don't feel it's BPA and Brown is we could see him go there. On top of that, it's easy enough to convert centers to wingers early in a players development.

That said, I believe Calgary will end up with one of 3 dman so it shouldn't be an issue anyway.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
7OA to Montreal for 9OA and 39OA. Fair trade?

AZ picks up extra 2nd (3 total), creates flexibility and still get one of the top 3 DMen at 9.

Montreal gets Brown/Nylander at 7, still has another 2nd at 45.

It's funny you say that because I've been think 7 + 37 for 13 + 21 + 4th. I'd be fine with a move like that because I don't feel strongly enough about anyone with our pick. I honestly see pick 6 - 18 as relatively close in terms of BPA, though I do have my favorites.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
This year seems to have a wide variety/potential of who is the BPA after the top 5. Tyson Jost for example has been mentioned among the top 7 AND available for the Yotes' second 1st round pick.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
This year seems to have a wide variety/potential of who is the BPA after the top 5. Tyson Jost for example has been mentioned among the top 7 AND available for the Yotes' second 1st round pick.

Jost will go top 10 IMO. He's right in the mix w Brown and Keller.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I voted for Brown. Because hbk sold me on him. :laugh:

Big centers with some hockey skill are a huge plus playing in the Pacific Division. And as most of us know Hanzal hasn't played a complete season yet.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Interesting quote re: Brown from THN's draft guide. Not saying I fully support it, but it stood out:

From one scout: "His tools are as good as anyone's in the draft. He's got size, but he might be the weakest guy in all of the draft. Even without strength, though, guys have trouble getting the puck off him. I don't think he's bought in yet."

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Interesting quote re: Brown from THN's draft guide. Not saying I fully support it, but it stood out:

From one scout: "His tools are as good as anyone's in the draft. He's got size, but he might be the weakest guy in all of the draft. Even without strength, though, guys have trouble getting the puck off him. I don't think he's bought in yet."
Interesting. Didn't hbk post a link saying brown about half way through the season changed a bunch of stuff besides using his body more, like diet and workout stuff? If he's just figuring that stuff out but remains committed to it he could improve dramatically.

indczn

May 28, 2008

If this is true then I feel better about begrudgingly voting for Brown. He's trending in the right direction, and its not uncommon for tall players to take a while to figure themselves out.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
A couple weeks ago I thought it was a huge stretch to consider Brown at 7 but I am coming around...in part because I think we can draft a defenseman with the second pick (Fabbro or McAvoy) that may turn out as good as the top 3.

Big guys in junior are tricky. Some dominate because of their size and you have to figure out if it is ONLY their size and if they can do that against NHLers. It is why I thought players like Crouse, Tuch and Ritchie were rated too high. Other big guys look slow and awkward - is it because they haven't grown into their bodies yet?

Sounds like Brown may be the latter. Starting to "get it" and seeing how he can dominate.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
How far removed is Brown from being NHL ready? In other words, how quickly can he replace Hanzal?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
How far removed is Brown from being NHL ready? In other words, how quickly can he replace Hanzal?

He's tall and he's a center. I'm not sure he's a great candidate to replace an elite NHL shut-down center, however. He'll probably never have the same shut-down impact that Hanzal has. If you're asking how soon he can be depended on to replace Hanzal's 40ish points per season? Best-case scenario is year after next. But probably more like a year or two after that. After the draft Hanzal played in the USHL for a year and then the WHL for a year before he became an NHL player. He put up 35pts that season. I'd be surprised if Brown did a whole lot better than that on a timeline that's a whole lot shorter than that.

Brown's strength is in his size, skating, puck-protection, vision, passing and IQ, right? hbk? I don't think he's supposed to ever be the brute-force physical monster Hanzal is. I don't think he's supposed to be the puck tipping goalie-screen Hanzal is. I don't think he's supposed to be the face-off, and shut-down machine that Hanzal is. I don't think they're very similar apart from the size, and puck-protection part.

Then again, I will say that Hanzal was not Hanzal when he was drafted. I'll never forget the commentators at the draft having a laugh at his expense, saying that his plays more like Gretel than Hansel. Meaning he's girly and soft. He was criticized for being soft, and a one-dimmensional offense-only player during his draft. As he became more filled out physically, eventually becoming a big beast, his confidence grew and he developed a nasty streak. It wasn't until he became a pupil of Sutter in Red Deer that he learned the defensive side of the game. Those years after the draft really shaped what he would become in the NHL. The player we drafted is almost nothing like the player we got. Thank god for that.

So how will Brown develop? Who knows. He looks pretty good now. The sky is the limit and his old man was a damn good NHL player before his concussion issues.

Last edited:

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Brown can dominate physically. He's just learning how physically dominant he can be. He manhandled Chychrun and all Fabbro could do against him was cross check or slash after the whistle.

A year from now he could be the complete package. Size, skill, vision, hands. Mem cup next year with Windsor. Honestly he's an absolute home run.

It's scary how good he could be. Joe Thorton hands and Zdeno Chara size. Try stopping him.

I know I'd rather have him on my team than have to play against him. Who's your shutdown guy on him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad