Line Combos: HFPens Decides - Marino's Partner

Who do you want to be John Marino's partner?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Poll #3 - Who do you want to play with Marino?

Poll will be open for a few days, unless it is a blowout.

I am doing Marino instead of Letang as the first defense poll as I think it'd be more interesting conversation. Also, as per the rules below, he'll only be paired with a LHD.

Current lineup:

aaa-Crosby-bbb
Guentzel (66%)-Malkin-ddd
eee-Blueger (67%)-ggg
hhh-iii-jjj
lll

mmm-Letang
nnn-Marino
ooo-ppp
qqq-rrr

Jarry-DeSmith

Some assumptions and rules:
  1. You are to vote for what you want to see -- not what you expect the coaches to do. This is for the opening day lineup. Yes, it'll change throughout the season.
  2. Crosby and Malkin are the top two centers.
  3. Jarry is the starter and DeSmith is the backup.
  4. ZAR will be on the IR to start the season. This means he will not be listed as an option in any of the polls.
  5. In the top 4, defenseman will not play on their "off" side.
  6. I will not be listing players for positions they have not played at the NHL level. For example, I will not be listing Tanev as an option for the third line center.
  7. Due to the amount of one-way contracts, I will not be including Poulin and POJ (or other prospects) as voting options. Feel free to write them in as a vote, though.
  8. A majority vote is not needed to win. But we may have runoff polls if I deem the numbers to be too close.
Let me know of questions or concerns.

Previous threads:

Line Combos: - HFPens Decides - 20/21 Version
Line Combos: - HFPens Decides - Jake Guentzel
Line Combos: - HFPens Decides - Third Line Center

Last edited:

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Pettersson. They were good together. A strong 2nd pair is important.

Give Matheson the Schultz treatment when he first got here. Bottom pair and build him back up. We’ve got time (6 years worth ;)).

Mr. T

Feb 15, 2003
I'd like to see Matheson get a shot. If he has issues, drop him down to the third pairing.

Reactions: Factorial

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
Matheson for a decent look. It's not like the lines can (or will) stay the same all season long.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Matheson should be tried first. His skillset is intriguing and Marino could forge a terrific pairing if they find chemistry.

He brings a offensive acumen that's worth viewing. If he struggles poorly you have ole Petts to slide in. But the potential ceiling is higher with Matheson.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Pettersson. They were good together. A strong 2nd pair is important.

Give Matheson the Schultz treatment when he first got here. Bottom pair and build him back up. We’ve got time (6 years worth ;)).

Schultz got a good partner when he first got here with that treatment. Give Matheson that treatment and he probably get Ceci, and that's an issue. I'd also point out that when Schultz got here, if he didn't work out we could chuck him out, but if Matheson doesn't work we've got a bit of trouble.

In terms of merit it should be Pettersson-Marino. That's pretty cut and dry to me. But Matheson-Ceci is nightmare fuel. Maybe they'll get some time together and surprise me but I'm not putting much money on it. The skillsets look mismatched to go along with not being great players. Obviously they could go Matheson-Ruhwedel... and there could be a great chance to buy a bridge.

I don't know if Matheson-Marino will work. But if Marino can control play, Matheson has the attacking skills to profit (and more so than Pettersson). I don't hate it so much I won't give it a chance.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Schultz got a good partner when he first got here with that treatment. Give Matheson that treatment and he probably get Ceci, and that's an issue. I'd also point out that when Schultz got here, if he didn't work out we could chuck him out, but if Matheson doesn't work we've got a bit of trouble.

In terms of merit it should be Pettersson-Marino. That's pretty cut and dry to me. But Matheson-Ceci is nightmare fuel. Maybe they'll get some time together and surprise me but I'm not putting much money on it. The skillsets look mismatched to go along with not being great players. Obviously they could go Matheson-Ruhwedel... and there could be a great chance to buy a bridge.

I don't know if Matheson-Marino will work. But if Marino can control play, Matheson has the attacking skills to profit (and more so than Pettersson). I don't hate it so much I won't give it a chance.

I agree with most of what you said. The premise is what I want to see though. So Ceci is a healthy scratch :laugh:. Preference is to get a better D man, then either Riikola or Ruhwedel over Ceci.

Reactions: Peat

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Let me reframe this question:

"Which partner gives Matheson the best chance of being a 4.9m dman and not a big ol' pile of crap?"

This was a part of my thought process. I said, I think Matheson needs a good partner like Marino more so than Pettersson. The benefits of Matheson regaining his tough on the 2nd pairing with Marino would yield higher returns than than Pettersson. I think Pettersson will be great as 3LD and will strengthen the pairing to 2B pairing levels.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I'm torn. I like the idea of having one really good skating defenseman on each pairing, which would mean Matheson goes on the bottom pairing, but I think we insulate our weaknesses better if Matheson and Ceci aren't on the same pairing.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Jack Johnson.

EZJ7GXo.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad