Line Combos: HFPens Decides - Marino's Partner

Who do you want to be John Marino's partner?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I don't think Matheson's ever going to reach his potential plodding alongside someone like Ceci or Ruhwedel. I know Schultz got sheltered minutes alongside weaker guys when he first got here, but my gut feeling is that anyone but Marino as Matheson's partner is setting him up for failure. Can't gamble like that on a guy who makes that much money and is on that shaky ground.

Put him in the best position to succeed. If Marino can make JJ look like more than an ECHL-level guy, he's perfect for insulating Matheson and allowing him the creative and offensive freedom to utilize his physical tools and talent.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
I'm torn. I like the idea of having one really good skating defenseman on each pairing, which would mean Matheson goes on the bottom pairing, but I think we insulate our weaknesses better if Matheson and Ceci aren't on the same pairing.
You know what’s better than having 1 good skating dman on each pairing?

I think the league has changed so much over the last decade that even 1 plodding dman is going to hurt you. We all saw the damage that JJ could do to, even on games where they would by and large outplay the other team. I would love be to have all 4 lines having the mindset of attacking, and having 6 dmen who can skate is only going to help.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
You know what’s better than having 1 good skating dman on each pairing?

I think the league has changed so much over the last decade that even 1 plodding dman is going to hurt you. We all saw the damage that JJ could do to, even on games where they would by and large outplay the other team. I would love be to have all 4 lines having the mindset of attacking, and having 6 dmen who can skate is only going to help.

Tampa just won with Luke Schenn and Bogosian and Dallas had a broken down Sekera.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
EZJ7GXo.jpg
:laugh:

kladorf2005

Apr 20, 2018
Am I the only one who thinks Marino should be on top pair? This isn't 2017 anymore. Letang's days as a top pairing D-man are behind him. And that's an easier pill to swallow with how Marino looked last year.

Letang drops to 2nd pairing. Marino moves up to top pair. And for that reason, my vote is Dumolin.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
It would be wise to have Marino babysit Matheson, even though the latter is the veteran. Sigh...

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Am I the only one who thinks Marino should be on top pair? This isn't 2017 anymore. Letang's days as a top pairing D-man are behind him. And that's an easier pill to swallow with how Marino looked last year.

Letang drops to 2nd pairing. Marino moves up to top pair. And for that reason, my vote is Dumolin.

You and @SouthGeorge

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Voted for Dumo bc that pairing was absurdly good last year. Surprised at the lack of votes there. But totally get it won’t happen, and you do have to break up one of the best pairings in the league to do it.

If not Dumo prob Petts, but had to think hard about Matheson.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Honestly do not like the idea of Petts-Ceci/Ruh too much. I think that pair would massively struggle to move the puck.

But idk if I want Matheson there either, especially if it’s Ceci as 3RD.

Jobeycool

Jun 20, 2019
Don't like are pairing defense at all anyways...not good enough. Except for Matheson brings more speed.....voted for Domoulin.. not much you can do but draft some defenseman..

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Probably. Letang looked a 1D to me until he lost Dumo and got JJ, and Marino still has a bit to prove before he should be logging as many minutes as Letang. Even if he does prove it - that just means two 1Ds, and limited time for the third pairing. 1A and 1B.

Honestly do not like the idea of Petts-Ceci/Ruh too much. I think that pair would massively struggle to move the puck.

But idk if I want Matheson there either, especially if it’s Ceci as 3RD.

I think Pettersson's best puck moving - and play - has come when the onus has been on him to be the outlet. It's when he's asked to be the more steady guy with someone like Schultz (or to an extent Marino) he seems to have struggled to the eye test.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Dumoulin - Marino would be a good shut down pair, but that leaves you with Pettersson - Letang which still gives you Matheson - Ceci or Matheson - Letang which I think is a bad fit.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Probably. Letang looked a 1D to me until he lost Dumo and got JJ, and Marino still has a bit to prove before he should be logging as many minutes as Letang. Even if he does prove it - that just means two 1Ds, and limited time for the third pairing. 1A and 1B.

I think Pettersson's best puck moving - and play - has come when the onus has been on him to be the outlet. It's when he's asked to be the more steady guy with someone like Schultz (or to an extent Marino) he seems to have struggled to the eye test.

I think Pettersson was fine with Marino but I believe Matheson could take off with Marino. I also saw how well Pettersson was able to play with JJ. JJ was moved to his off side and that pairing still looked decent while playing 2nd pairing minutes. If Pettersson could do that for JJ then he could definitely help Ceci. I think with Pettersson as his partner Ceci will be fine. I don't have that faith if it is Matheson. Matheson will do well though for the Pens.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad