Line Combos: HFPens Decides: Complete the First Line

Who starts with Crosby and Guentzel on the first line?

• Total voters

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
How many people have actually watched Kahun enough to make a strong opinion of him?

No one. Demonstrable highest production and best GF% w/ Simon vs magic beans.

My favourite thing here is that almost every scouting report and highlights video makes it pretty clear that Kahun is a very similar player to Simon. So it seems like a lot of people want a Simon-esque player with Crosby, just that they don't want the Simon-esque guy who's been there working very well there. Equal measures amusing and baffling.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
No one. Demonstrable highest production and best GF% w/ Simon vs magic beans.

I wouldn't mind any of the players, with the one exclusion, that have received any votes. The thought of Kahun with C&G is an interesting one just based on his stats last season, scouting reports and articles, and highlight videos (and he's a new, shiny toy, as people say). But I went with Hornqvist because I'd love for him to return to form and provide a unique element to that line.

Reactions: Peat

RSPens

May 25, 2015
Just for fun (maybe fun isn't the right word here) I went with Tanev. I know its not a popular opinion and I know that he has no chance of winning this pole. Opening night if Rust is still here, it will be him, if not it will be Simon or Horny. I am saying Tanev, because I like to think that JR wouldn't spend that kind of money and that kind of term on a guy he plans to have on the 4th line. Crosby seems to like to have hard working grinders that potentially have some skill. Tanev will fight for the puck and he has the speed to keep up. I'm sure he will likely get a chance in the preseason (no guarantees, see Sprong/Malkin) and if things work out, he will see some regular season on the top 2 lines. The only options that really have any grit are Tanev and Horny. If what we have heard about them wanting to add some muscle to the first line is true, it has to be one of these two. We know Sid doesn't like to play with Horny on a regular basis. So I voted Tanev...eventhough HF seems to have him stapled to the 3rd or 4th lines.

Last edited:

gopens66

Hop in the Cordoba, Baby, we're goin' bowlin!
May 25, 2006
Altoona,Pa
When the Pens landed Kessel, literally everyone assumed he would be Crosby's right wing. He was fast enough to keep up/push the play, and has elite play-making and shot. We saw that happen a total of what, like three times? I think, at this point, it is safe to assume that the rumors of Crosby picking his wingers are true. If that is true, I don't think we'll see Horny on line one. Now, Sully can play the "coach card" and just make it so, but we have all seen this team's play when they tune out a coach. (At this point, no one can say it doesn't happen.) Given all of this, after the trade deadline this spring, I thought McCann with Sid and Jake made the 1st line the most dangerous against the opposition.

Also, I really want to see a Tanev-Bjugstad-Hornqvist 3rd line. I really think it has the potential to be more dominating than the Cooke-Staal-Kennedy line(best-3rd line-in-the-league).

Reactions: StaalForOne

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Just for fun (maybe fun isn't the right word here) I went with Tanev. I know its not a popular opinion and I know that he has no chance of winning this pole. Opening night if Rust is still here, it will be him, if not it will be Simon or Horny. I am saying Tanev, because I like to think that JR wouldn't spend that kind of money and that kind of term on a guy he plans to have on the 4th line. Crosby seems to like to have hard working grinders that potentially have some skill. Tanev will fight for the puck and he has the speed to keep up. I'm sure he will likely get a chance in the preseason (no guarantees, see Sprong/Malkin) and if things work out, he will see some regular season on the top 2 lines. The only options that really have any grit are Tanev and Horny. If what we have heard about them wanting to add some muscle to the first line is true, it has to be one of these two. We know Sid doesn't like to play with Horny on a regular basis. So I voted Tanev...eventhough HF seems to have him stapled to the 3rd or 4th lines.

I’ve definitely been consistent in saying that I believe Tanev will get a shot in the top 6...I think he’s more likely to get a shot with Geno and Gally because of their defensive shortcomings...but he will get a shot there...I don’t think he’ll stick with Sid though...if he doesn’t work in the top 6 consistently, he’ll be tried on L3...the reason they got him and what they paid for him indicate he’ll definitely be played in the top 9...unless he really blows, he will not be on L4 as many people think...

Reactions: Pens and Flames

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
When the Pens landed Kessel, literally everyone assumed he would be Crosby's right wing. He was fast enough to keep up/push the play, and has elite play-making and shot. We saw that happen a total of what, like three times? I think, at this point, it is safe to assume that the rumors of Crosby picking his wingers are true. If that is true, I don't think we'll see Horny on line one. Now, Sully can play the "coach card" and just make it so, but we have all seen this team's play when they tune out a coach. (At this point, no one can say it doesn't happen.) Given all of this, after the trade deadline this spring, I thought McCann with Sid and Jake made the 1st line the most dangerous against the opposition.

Also, I really want to see a Tanev-Bjugstad-Hornqvist 3rd line. I really think it has the potential to be more dominating than the Cooke-Staal-Kennedy line(best-3rd line-in-the-league).

Tanev and Horny together is puke worthy to me.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
Count me as another Simon vote, and fortunately I have a feeling that Sully feels the same way.

gopens66

Hop in the Cordoba, Baby, we're goin' bowlin!
May 25, 2006
Altoona,Pa

Unless they are deployed to hem the opposition's top line in their own end all game. (Cooke-Staal-Kennedy) They're tenacious and gritty. If they can forecheck(which they can) and defensively neuter any team's top line, it makes things a lot easier for Sid and Geno.

RSPens

May 25, 2015
I’ve definitely been consistent in saying that I believe Tanev will get a shot in the top 6...I think he’s more likely to get a shot with Geno and Gally because of their defensive shortcomings...but he will get a shot there...I don’t think he’ll stick with Sid though...if he doesn’t work in the top 6 consistently, he’ll be tried on L3...the reason they got him and what they paid for him indicate he’ll definitely be played in the top 9...unless he really blows, he will not be on L4 as many people think...

I do agree somewhat, but even if they don't exactly use their size both Geno (more so) and Gally (a little less) are decent size guys. They don't necessarily need another big body on their line, so I think Rust is the better option for them. Of course if Rust is traded then everything changes. I wish JR would just get his final trade done so that we have a better idea of what the lines will be. As much as I think McCann will be a top 6 Wing, that only happens if Bjugstad is still here. So I think it would be fun to see this for at least one game.

Jake - Sid - Tanev
Rust/McCann - Geno - Gally
Kahun - McCann/Bjugstad - Horny
Simon - Bleuger - ZAR

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

Yeah...I’m a fan of having someone with some offensive skill on each line and rolling four lines as opposed to having one “shut down” line....for that reason I’d prefer to see
Jake-Sid-Kahun
Tanev-G-Gally
McCann-Bjug-Horny
Simon/ZAR-Blueger-Rust

Reactions: Pens and Flames

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

I somewhat agree with this but at the same time, they've got 8 forwards paid Tanev money and above, and the 4 forwards below them includes two guys that we're repeatedly told the org views as top 6 guys (McCann and ZAR), a guy Crosby and Sully clearly love (Simon), and a guy who was a successful top 6 forward on a high flying offensive team all last season (Kahun).

Something has to give there in terms of players they really like vs Top 9 roles, and it's almost certainly going to regularly include someone paid a decent chunk of change.

Reactions: Andy99

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
any of the above, plus some not on the list could do very well. that's what the pre/regular is for, finding the best match. imo…...so let's wait and see.:nod:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad