Line Combos: HFPens Decides: Complete the First Line

Who starts with Crosby and Guentzel on the first line?

• Total voters

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Vote for what you want to see.

I did this a few summers ago after the Pens acquired Kessel. And with more changes than normal this off-season, I thought this would be a good idea to do again.

This will be a thread series. Series? Yes, series. HFPens will be selecting what they feel is the best opening day lineup. I'll be limiting this to the top two lines for the time being as I'm sure there will be roster moves.

Polls will be open for a few days unless there is an overwhelming majority vote. What defines "overwhelming majority"? I'm not sure yet.

Some assumptions, as of 7/29/2019:

1. Crosby and Malkin are our top two centers and will not play wing.
  2. Guentzel will be one of Crosby's wingers to start the season and can play either wing.
  3. Blueger will be the fourth line center.
  4. Hornqvist can only play right wing.
  5. If in the top-6, Bjugstad will only be a right wing. Otherwise, he can be a center or RW in the bottom-6.
  6. Similarly, McCann will only be a left wing in the top-6. If in the bottom-6 he can be a center or LW.
  7. As a result, Bjugstad or McCann will likely be the third line center.
  8. Rust, Galchenyuk, Simon, Kahun, Tanev, and ZAR can play either wing.
  9. Despite being listed as such on certain websites, Galchenyuk, Kahun, and ZAR are not centers.
  10. [added late] If Galchenyuk does not land on the first line, then he will be on the 2nd with Malkin.

I will add more assumptions as the HFPens lineup is decided. You don't like these assumptions? Do let me know.

We shall start with completing the first line. Who plays with Crosby and Guentzel? Vote for what you want to see.

If you vote someone who can play LW or RW, please let me know where you want them to be played.

Current HFBoards Lineup:

Guentzel/XXX-Crosby-XXX/Guentzel
XXX-Malkin-XXX
XXX-XXX-XXX
XXX-Blueger-XXX

FYI, this was the HFPens starting lineup for 2015:

Perron-Crosby-Hornqvist
Plotnikov-Malkin-Kessel
Kunitz-Bonino-Bennett
Sundqvist-Cullen-Dupuis
Wilson

Maatta-Letang
Pouliot-Cole
Dumoulin-Lovejoy
Scuderi

Fleury
Zatkoff

Last edited:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I think there are at least two very good options here and probably two other potential options on top of that that might work but I'll be going with Hornqvist even if it's unlikely (over a full season) because not only do I think that's generally a good compliment to the Crosby/Guentzel dynamic but also makes the best use of Hornqvist in this lineup.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Not that it matters but are we going with what we'd do or what we think will happen?

Because I definitely wouldn't have gone with Hornqvist if it's what we think will happen.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I am going with Kahun as a blend between what I want and what I think is best. He has potential to be a really nice fit there and I would like to see how it works out to start the year.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I picked Simon but might change my vote to Hornqvist if its tight between him and Kahun and Simon's nowhere near; think those have been the two best with Sid and am reluctant to give somebody a place on L1 in their first day in the org. Call me a dinosaur, but I want to see someone work for that.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I picked Simon but might change my vote to Hornqvist if its tight between him and Kahun and Simon's nowhere near; think those have been the two best with Sid and am reluctant to give somebody a place on L1 in their first day in the org. Call me a dinosaur, but I want to see someone work for that.

I'm in the same boat FWIW. I have a feeling Kahun could be a pretty great fit there but I'm not really cool with simply handing him that big a role right off the cut... not just for the team's sake but his.

Honestly I'm pretty lukewarm re: Simon but I understand why people seem to like him there.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I picked Horny because that's what I want to start with. I think Kahun will be a fixture there by the end of the season.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
I'd like to see Kahun there but I predict Sully will make him earn it on the 4th line for the foreseeable future.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Horny all the way. Sid seems to hate playing with him, but he has looked the best consistently with Jake and Sid. Only reason not to do this is if you think horny is ready to fall off a cliff from a concussion standpoint.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
want - Kahun
think - Horny (and hoping he delivers a big "F U" to the critics who wrote him off after his last post concussion performance, irrespective of his line)

Dangles78

Oct 14, 2012
Pittsburgh
I really want to see what the Simon-Bjugstad-Hornqvist line can do some more. So that leaves Rust or Kahun. Although I think Sully tries Rust on L1, I don't think his tunnel vision will last with Sid. So gimme Kahun.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I really want to see what the Simon-Bjugstad-Hornqvist line can do some more. So that leaves Rust or Kahun. Although I think Sully tries Rust on L1, I don't think his tunnel vision will last with Sid. So gimme Kahun.

Guentzel - Sid - Kahun
Galchenyuk - Malkin - Hornqvist
Tanev - McCann - Rust
ZAR - Teddy - Simon

Is what I think we see opening night given cap considerations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad