• Stuart Skinner

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I went with Holloway base on team need in the pass . I glad Samorukov is getting some love . With our new forwards I will have to think about it a little more .

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Good size doesn't mean much with McLeod because he doesn't use it.

If he started using it, he could be a force.

Even if he just learns to stick check very aggressively like Cirelli, he doesn’t need to bang the glass but be aggressive on pucks. I agree he needs to use his size and body position a lot better along with aggression on the forecheck. He’s really strong through the neutral zone and through the middle of the ice in the defensive zone.

His size and speed allows him to be a very rangy defender. He has good hockey IQ in the defensive zone routinely picking up the right guys in the middle of the ice and blocking passing lanes. He could become an elite defender if he added a little more physicality to his game.

As he gains confidence I’m sure he’ll improve that area of his game.

Reactions: 780il

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
This forum is quick to write-off Broberg. Victor Hedman did not exactly set the world on fire in his first 4 yrs and was near bust. Look at the amount of fans trashing Rasmus Dahlin in buffalo and elsewhere. Parayko was drafted in the 3rd round in 2012 and did absolutely nothing for 4 yrs. Does good one season and fans in this board make it sound like he was taken first overall and the Oilers should sell the franchise for Parayko.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017
This forum is quick to write-off Broberg. Victor Hedman did not exactly set the world on fire in his first 4 yrs and was near bust. Look at the amount of fans trashing Rasmus Dahlin in buffalo and elsewhere. Parayko was drafted in the 3rd round in 2012 and did absolutely nothing for 4 yrs. Does good one season and fans in this board make it sound like he was taken first overall and the Oilers should sell the franchise for Parayko.
It's an Oilers prospect ranking. We're comparing our own prospects and see where HFOil has them in order.

It has nothing to do with Hedman, Parayko, or Dahlin... they were never Oilers prospect. Those Ds are irrelevant to this thread.

Just rank the Oiler prospect based on your opinion from the above choices.

Also thinking Hedman was a near bust lol.

giphy.gif

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
It's an Oilers prospect ranking. We're comparing our own prospects and see where HFOil has them in order.

It has nothing to do with Hedman, Parayko, or Dahlin... they were never Oilers prospect. Those Ds are irrelevant to this thread.

Just rank the Oiler prospect based on your opinion from the above choices.

Also thinking Hedman was a near bust lol.

giphy.gif
You were obviously not around in his 3yr post draft and only looking at what he has done lately.

NotAVacuumSalesman

Jun 19, 2017
You were obviously not around in his 3yr post draft and only looking at what he has done lately.

His first 4 years, he was 2nd in points among Ds on his team for all 4 years, beating out vets who are in their 30s like Pavel Kubina, Sami Salo, ex-Oiler Eric Brewer while averaging 21min+ TOI. He didn't pick up his game till Jon Cooper replaced Guy Boucher. Cooper's full season was 2013-14 season, that season was Hedman's 5th year, and led all Ds on his team with 55 points. He was top 10 that season for Norris voting.

He needed time to actually learn the game at the NHL level. He was quite far from being a finished product coming into the league at 19. Your expectation that he needed to set the world on fire at a young is far from what actual defencemens need to go through at that stage in their young career.

I've been watching hockey since '91

Last edited:

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
His first 4 years, he was 2nd in points among Ds on his team for all 4 years, beating out vets who are in their 30s like Pavel Kubina, Sami Salo, ex-Oiler Eric Brewer while averaging 21min+ TOI. He didn't pick up his game till Jon Cooper replaced Guy Boucher. Cooper's full season was 2013-14 season, that season was Hedman's 5th year, and led all Ds on his team with 55 points. He was top 10 that season for Norris voting.

He needed time to actually learn the game at the NHL level. He was quite far from being a finished product coming into the league at 19. Your expectation that he needed to set the world on fire at a young is far from what actual defencemens need to go through at that stage in their young career.

I've been watching hockey since '91
What you wrote was clear and i agree. It was the same with nurse when people wanted to dump nurse and a first for ristolainen or salvage whatever we could get for nurse. It is same with broberg now. Dump him as a throw in to fix our goalie situation.

Nobody will know what broberg will turn into until 4 yrs from now. Impatient fans are probably tired of waiting.

NotAVacuumSalesman

Jun 19, 2017
What you wrote was clear and i agree. It was the same with nurse when people wanted to dump nurse and a first for ristolainen or salvage whatever we could get for nurse. It is same with broberg now. Dump him as a throw in to fix our goalie situation.

Nobody will know what broberg will turn into until 4 yrs from now. Impatient fans are probably tired of waiting.
Yes, but I like how you totally ignored your false narrative about Hedman being a near bust and I was not around to witness it. :laugh:

You're confused about Nurse's situation, so let me explain.

The narrative surrounding Nurse was that we weren't sure if he hit a wall in his progression, and not that he was a bust by any means. Will he ever be a #1 or stay stagnant as a #3 or #4? By the 3rd or 4th season we didn't know if he'd step up and be a #1 because he was prone to making mistakes/bad reads. By the 5th season it looked like he put it all together and he showed promise to be top pairing, but he needed the opportunity to do that. Fast forward to today, with the absence of Klef we were able to see and confirm Nurse was a legit #1.

TLDR, You're using the term bust for the wrong players.

Last edited:

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
Yes, but I like how you totally ignored your false narrative about Hedman being a near bust and I was not around to witness it. :laugh:

You're confused about Nurse's situation, so let me explain.

The narrative surrounding Nurse was that we weren't sure if he hit a wall in his progression, and not that he was a bust by any means. Will he ever be a #1 or stay stagnant as a #3 or #4? By the 3rd or 4th season we didn't know if he'd step up and be a #1 because he was prone to making mistakes/bad reads. By the 5th season it looked like he put it all together and he showed promise to be top pairing, but he needed the opportunity to do that. Fast forward to today, with the absence of Klef we were able to see and confirm Nurse was a legit #1.

TLDR, You're using the term bust for the wrong players.
So what's the narrative on Broberg then. Did he hit a wall also or does he really just suck? Colton Parayko was picked 86th overall. How is it a nobody picked late suddenly becomes a top pair and a high pick like Broberg is pretty much done according to 90% of oilers fan?

NotAVacuumSalesman

Jun 19, 2017
So what's the narrative on Broberg then. Did he hit a wall also or does he really just suck? Colton Parayko was picked 86th overall. How is it a nobody picked late suddenly becomes a top pair and a high pick like Broberg is pretty much done according to 90% of oilers fan?

Parayko was picked in the 3rd round of the 2012 draft that went 7 rounds deep. If being picked 86 out of 211 is late I don't know what to tell you. You're using Parayko as some sort of comparison to Broberg? Parayko was drafted 7 years before him with 418 NHL games under his belt to Broberg's 0 NHL games. There's no comparison to be made when Parayko was seasoned and developed over Broberg who has yet to play a full season in NA.

Broberg hasn't played an official NHL game yet. I've mentioned that Ds need to learn the game. It's far too early to say what he is at the moment. His floor is 2nd pairing but he could top out at #2. Until he's played professional games and see where he's progressing at the AHL/NHL level then we can't determine what he'll end up being.

You're reading too much into what fans say. Just because someone has a different opinion that doesn't make it correct or true. This upcoming season will be Broberg's first full season in NA. Why not reserve judgement until he's made it to the big show? Broberg has yet to start his pro career but to say he's 'pretty much done' is far from the truth. Just like the false narrative that Hedman was a 'near bust'. :laugh:

Have a free gif.

giphy.gif

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
Parayko was picked in the 3rd round of the 2012 draft that went 7 rounds deep. If being picked 86 out of 211 is late I don't know what to tell you. You're using Parayko as some sort of comparison to Broberg? Parayko was drafted 7 years before him with 418 NHL games under his belt to Broberg's 0 NHL games. There's no comparison to be made when Parayko was seasoned and developed over Broberg who has yet to play a full season in NA.

Broberg hasn't played an official NHL game yet. I've mentioned that Ds need to learn the game. It's far too early to say what he is at the moment. His floor is 2nd pairing but he could top out at #2. Until he's played professional games and see where he's progressing at the AHL/NHL level then we can't determine what he'll end up being.

You're reading too much into what fans say. Just because someone has a different opinion that doesn't make it correct or true. This upcoming season will be Broberg's first full season in NA. Why not reserve judgement until he's made it to the big show? Broberg has yet to start his pro career but to say he's 'pretty much done' is far from the truth. Just like the false narrative that Hedman was a 'near bust'. :laugh:

Have a free gif.

giphy.gif
Your explanation should be given to fans who thinks Broberg should be traded for immediate help. Parayko is a #1 now, how is it not possible that Broberg will not be a #1 or more? Scouting these days is far more advanced than in 2012. Look at the 20 or so D that were picked ahead of Parayko in 2012. Ryan Murray is still unsigned and can be had for free while Parayko is the man behind the Blues blueline now.

It is very hard to say who belongs at #2 here. Holloway will play a full NHL season before Broberg. But Broberg probably has a bigger impact on the game than Holloway.

NotAVacuumSalesman

Jun 19, 2017
Your explanation should be given to fans who thinks Broberg should be traded for immediate help. Parayko is a #1 now, how is it not possible that Broberg will not be a #1 or more? Scouting these days is far more advanced than in 2012. Look at the 20 or so D that were picked ahead of Parayko in 2012. Ryan Murray is still unsigned and can be had for free while Parayko is the man behind the Blues blueline now.

It is very hard to say who belongs at #2 here. Holloway will play a full NHL season before Broberg. But Broberg probably has a bigger impact on the game than Holloway.
Ryan Murray was signed yesterday by the Avs.

He's probably #5D/6D playing bottom pairing for the Avs when he's healthy. He's been dealing with an injured disk in his lower back for a few seasons now. You want a guy with reoccurring back issues?

I'm looking at the 27 Ds picked ahead of Parayko. What about them?

Scouting being advanced doesn't say much. Brayden Point was overlooked by all teams before getting scooped up by Tampa late in the 3rd round in 2014. Sebastian Aho went in the 2nd round in 2015. Anthony Cirelli was picked the 3rd round in the same draft. Adam Fox picked in the 3rd in 2016. It's all hindsight.

If you feel Broberg is a #1D, that would be your opinion and you're entitled to it.

Last edited:

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
Went with Samorukov

I went with Holloway as I think he'll have a bigger impact and higher ceiling but I do think Samorukov could be in the NHL next season. .

I really hope this team is built as such that Holloway could have a huge training camp and still find himself playing in the AHL to refine his game.

Reactions: Oilhawks

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I don't think Broberg took a step back, I just think Holloway took such an insane leap forward.

He's made a great case to go top-5 in a 2020 redraft.
Broberg was always a guy that most pundits saw as a later pick so him being lower isn't a suprise. Lots of work to show he is a top guy in his class

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
No need for the Hedman comparisons. Go look at what Klefbom did his first 2 years before coming to NA. Not many young defensemen but up great numbers in the SHL.

It’s hilarious majority of this board was cursing the Holloway pick a year ago, he didn’t have a great WJC either by any stretch, but had a good college season, and now he’s miles ahead of Broberg? It’s HF though, like I said in here before if Broberg had not been hurt in the WJC and had a great tournament the results would be the opposite.

It will be interesting to see them both in NA

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I don't think Broberg took a step back, I just think Holloway took such an insane leap forward.

I would suggest Broberg did take a step back, he was used as his team's #7 defenceman for long stretches. That being said, I don't think he was healthy either. Hopefully a summer off to rest and train gets him back to 100% and he spends the year in Bako.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
No need for the Hedman comparisons. Go look at what Klefbom did his first 2 years before coming to NA. Not many young defensemen but up great numbers in the SHL.

It’s hilarious majority of this board was cursing the Holloway pick a year ago, he didn’t have a great WJC either by any stretch, but had a good college season, and now he’s miles ahead of Broberg? It’s HF though, like I said in here before if Broberg had not been hurt in the WJC and had a great tournament the results would be the opposite.

Holloway had a great world Juniors I'd you watched, just didn't put up numbers. Coaches loved him and he did great in Uni. Broberg had a few good games in Sweden and slowly but surely lost his ice time. Fell out of favor from the looks of things.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I like how this thread is still active. #3 has been active since Sunday and Broberg is running away with it.

So no one thinks Broberg is a bust based on that and there is no hidden agenda against him.. time to move on !

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Voted for Bro. Think he’ll have a bigger impact in his prime that anyone left. Excited to see him on NA ice with Manson teaching him.

NotAVacuumSalesman

Jun 19, 2017
I like how this thread is still active. #3 has been active since Sunday and Broberg is running away with it.

So no one thinks Broberg is a bust based on that and there is no hidden agenda against him.. time to move on !
It's just 1 poster who's applying bust status on successful Ds in present day who he felt was in his word's 'did nothing' in their development time. LOL

I was explaining progression isn't linear or a straight line when it comes to prospect Ds coming into the league.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019

There's nothing to see from Broberg for another 2 years and impatient fans here will toss him with Koskinen as a throw in just to unload that contract to get the next Ben Scrivens and Broberg turns into the next Erik Karlsson. Then this board will collapse.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019

Insane leap forward without stepping on the NHL ice surface yet. That's insane to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad