Prospect Info: HFOilers Ranks: Top 20 Oilers Prospects Tie-Breaker #1

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
That's if you are of the belief that klefbom has a higher ceiling. I don't think klefbom is ever anything more than a 4/5. Marincin could be a 3 imo

I believe both will be top 4 while Kelfbom could be a 3 (no such thing as a 3 but...)

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
This tie will never be broken haha, maybe they truly should just be 2A and 2B.

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
Marincin had a decent half a season, how does that make it not close? :huh:
Marincin is a bit further ahead in his development and it's certainly close with Marincin getting the nod as of now. In fact, I think Klefbom was better towards the end of the season but it's such a small sample size.

I have a feeling that this poll will look a lot different in a couple of years. I'll make a bold prediction and say that Klefbom will be the Oilers best Dman by '16-'17. I just hope that he can stay healthy. Please stay healthy. :crossfing

I think that Klefbom becomes better than Marincin, and transforms into a legit #2/3 defenseman Marincin I think becomes a steady #3 or excellent #4, but I believe (and hope) that Nurse will be our best defenseman eventually. If it all pans out, a top four of Nurse, Klefbom, Marincin and Schultz would finally turn us into the contender we always hoped our young guns would turn us into on their own. Doesn't happen without a lot of good young prospects reaching their potential, though...

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
I really like both players, and Marincin is definitely ahead in his development.

But I voted Klefbom. He didn't stand out in camp or in the AHL by by the end of the season he was looking calm and collected as he squeezed NHL players out of scoring positions. He was using his body positioning and skating to shut down options for players with the puck and was often taking it from them. And his first pass was remarkably good as well. He looked like the player I saw before the injury in the SEL.

I think he still needs a bit more time in the AHL, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if Klefbom locked down a roster spot midway through the season during an injury recall.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Marincin had a decent half a season, how does that make it not close? :huh:
Marincin is a bit further ahead in his development and it's certainly close with Marincin getting the nod as of now. In fact, I think Klefbom was better towards the end of the season but it's such a small sample size.

I have a feeling that this poll will look a lot different in a couple of years. I'll make a bold prediction and say that Klefbom will be the Oilers best Dman by '16-'17. I just hope that he can stay healthy. Please stay healthy. :crossfing

ya, Marincin has played 44 games in the NHL and Klef 17, yet Marincin is proven????

very odd indeed. Any way, I have always said I like Marincin, but to me he just ins't in the same league as Klef. Marincin is a year and a half older, I think just in that time it wont' be close. Klef will be a legit top 4 guy in a year and a half.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
It's good that Klef has the edge. I'm convinced he'll be the better player in two years, but our defence looks very promising in a couple of years with Klef, Marincin, Nurse et al. Klef may pass Marincin by the end of this coming season. His upside is very high.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
we put Drasaitl over Nurse just because of a higher cieling but Nurse is arguably the better player right now (because he's had an extra year of development) then Klefbom should be higher than Marincin. no?

You have to think about defensive prospects versus forward prospects.

Nurse has one extra year of development but is further away from being able to impact the NHL regularly than Leon. I just takes longer for D-men to develop.

As talented as Leon is he shouldn't be an impact player until 21-25. With proper development.

As talented as Nurse is he shouldn't be an impact player until 23-28. With proper development.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
ya, Marincin has played 44 games in the NHL and Klef 17, yet Marincin is proven????

very odd indeed. Any way, I have always said I like Marincin, but to me he just ins't in the same league as Klef. Marincin is a year and a half older, I think just in that time it wont' be close. Klef will be a legit top 4 guy in a year and a half.

I am not sure who said Marincin is proven. I myself used the term small sample size.

Marincin play in the AHL/NHL is significantly better than Klefboms AHL/NHL play against tougher opposition and he has played more games. So Marincin is more proven than Klefbom... but is not a "proven" player. Not sure if people are purposely making this mistake just to argue.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Klefbom has higher potential, Marincin is safer bet to hit his ceiling. Imo potential #2 vs potential #3. I went with Marincin because of Klefbom's injuries.

Up until this year, Marincin has never been considered a "safe bet". He has always been a "boom or bust" kind of prospect. He's booming, and has shown much more than Klefbom has so far. Kleffa will become a steady stay at home defenseman, but Marincin is looking like a young star out there. Marincin for sure.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Haha wow. "Marincin" and "proven" don't belong in the same sentence. Our best defenseman? Holy ****. Puff puff pass.

People need to remember how good Smid looked next to Petry. And that Belov looked okay next to Petry. Marincin played with Petry and looked amazing because of it. He's a great young player, but anyone suggesting he was our best blueliner needs to give their head a shake.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
People need to remember how good Smid looked next to Petry. And that Belov looked okay next to Petry. Marincin played with Petry and looked amazing because of it. He's a great young player, but anyone suggesting he was our best blueliner needs to give their head a shake.

He was definitely our #2 last season. I think that would be hard to argue. Whether or not it was due to Petry, he was still our second best d-man.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

True, Klefbom never got that chance too. I don't think Petry is an amazing D, but he's better than Schultz and Ference.

I think Marincin will pass him soon tho

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
I'm guessing that at least 80% of poll respondents disagree with you.

Klefbom is the Paajarvi of d-men. Marincin has been an impact player in every league he has played in. He had about .8 PPG as a d-man in the WHL. A lot of people say "he wasnt even on the radar before last season", but he was always at or near the top of the D prospect list for us since he was drafted (especially considering his size and hockey iq). All this belittling of Marincin's junior career is revisionist history, or people just being surprised by his impact because they haven't been paying attention. I don't think Klefbom would have scored at that pace in the WHL. Marincin may have been lanky and a mediocre skater when drafted but he had all the potential in the world and some of us were very excited to see him in Oilers silks.

Klefbom was always recommended by "saw him good" reports from random unnamed individuals. He has always looked like a smooth and efficient skater but other than 1 outlier WJC tournament (a la Paajarvi) I have never seen anything suggesting an impact player.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Klefbom was always recommended by "saw him good" reports from random unnamed individuals. He has always looked like a smooth and efficient skater but other than 1 outlier WJC tournament (a la Paajarvi) I have never seen anything suggesting an impact player.

2 seasons in the SEL. Albeit a short 18 game stint, but in that stint, people that follow the SEL says he was one of the top D in the league.

Plus in his NHL games he was pretty good, and was better than Marincin the last 5 games (fwiw).

Its not one tourny

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
True, Klefbom never got that chance too. I don't think Petry is an amazing D, but he's better than Schultz and Ference.

I think Marincin will pass him soon tho

Playing devil's advocate (voted Klefbom for upside and because in his NHL time he looked very steady for a rookie), but while Marincin got a good partner, Klefbom got sheltered minutes. His average TOI was 15:27, while Marincin played 19:09. Only Mark Fraser and Potter got less minutes out of the defensive 'regulars'.

Interestingly, Schultz, the player a lot on this board loves to say doesn't know how to play defense, led the team with 23:20 average TOI. I'm still really high on that guy. He's way too young to be saddled with the minutes he's getting, and needs to be protected a bit more. If that could happen, people would start loving him here again.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I am not sure who said Marincin is proven. I myself used the term small sample size.

Marincin play in the AHL/NHL is significantly better than Klefboms AHL/NHL play against tougher opposition and he has played more games. So Marincin is more proven than Klefbom... but is not a "proven" player. Not sure if people are purposely making this mistake just to argue.

I think some one said proven, they said this board loves potential while Marincin is proven.. I have to go back and look. Any I think it is really important to also note that Marincin's stats really got inflated when he played half the year with schulz, Ebs, nuge and Hall in the AHL. You can't compare WHL points to SEL, totally differnt. So I don't think you can really say Marincin has had better performances in any of those leagues.

ps. I agree Marincin is more prove, but he is also a year and a half older. so, Klef has time to catch up. I think Klef did more this year than Marincin did two years ago.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
I think some one said proven, they said this board loves potential while Marincin is proven.. I have to go back and look. Any I think it is really important to also note that Marincin's stats really got inflated when he played half the year with schulz, Ebs, nuge and Hall in the AHL. You can't compare WHL points to SEL, totally differnt. So I don't think you can really say Marincin has had better performances in any of those leagues.

ps. I agree Marincin is more prove, but he is also a year and a half older. so, Klef has time to catch up. I think Klef did more this year than Marincin did two years ago.

I just re read the whole thread, and the argument of potential became proven somehow. Just people taking things out of context.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad