Prospect Info: HFOilers Ranks: Top 20 Oilers Prospects #9

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
I voted Gernat. Had a solid season in his first year of pro. Worked his way up to become a mainstay in the AHL, and put up good numbers without the likes of a J.Schultz helping him out.

Moroz winning as an overager on a team like the Oil Kings is surprising.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I voted Gernat. Had a solid season in his first year of pro. Worked his way up to become a mainstay in the AHL, and put up good numbers without the likes of a J.Schultz helping him out.

Moroz wasn't an overage player this season. I agree about Gernat btw. I've been voting him since after Klefbom.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I voted for Roy, he got a bit of a raw deal with the injuries and in the brief times I've watched him it seems like he has a lot more to give. After that I will have to go with Broissoit, having any confidence in a goalie prospect seems like a scary endeavor given our track record, but he hasn't given us any reason to seriously doubt his ability.

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Greg Chase looks awful in that pic lol.

He has a very punch-able face... I mean that in a good way.

DisplayImage.ashx

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I think Slepyshev is getting a raw deal in these polls. He was a go to guy for the Russians at the WJC and put up not bad numbers in the KHL considering the opportunity he was getting. Easily the second most skilled prospect after Draisaitl. Also the best shot and one of the best skaters among our prospects.

Also quite possible he never signs a contract with the Oilers. He hasn't exactly lit the KHL on fire either.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Pitlick is a first rounder selected at the start of the second round. Injury plagued but still knocking on the NHL door.

Moroz, for example, is an early second round pick that probably could have slipped to the third round. Doesn't have a single pro game under his belt.

If you remember the talk on draft day, Moroz certainly wouldn't have slipped to the third. There were rumors that a lot of teams were interested in picking him in the second. It looks like a good pick now.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

If Moroz stayed back in junior this year, he would be an overager. Last year he was not.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I think people are underrating Gernat. 21 points last year as a 20 year old in the AHL. Just needs to work on his skating, but has big time upside still.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
I think people are underrating Gernat. 21 points last year as a 20 year old in the AHL. Just needs to work on his skating, but has big time upside still.

He's my vote after LB gets picked for sure.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Also quite possible he never signs a contract with the Oilers. He hasn't exactly lit the KHL on fire either.

In limited minutes/role. It's the 2nd best league in the world and he was a 19 yr old. He was ppg at the WJC. What has Khaira done in terms of numbers?

Again, the poll is who is the best prospect. Leon hasn't signed a contract yet either. Will he? Obviously, but as of today he is an unsigned prospect just like Slepyshev. Didn't stop everyone from voting him our best prospect. No one knows what Slepyshev will do, so judge him on talent and not (perceived) intentions. On talent, he's right there with Yakimov, possibly ahead.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

Slepyshev still has a year left in the KHL. So does Zharkov. Both players I'm certain will come over. It's common to see Russian prospects cash in early before settling in the NHL.

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
Slepyshev still has a year left in the KHL. So does Zharkov. Both players I'm certain will come over. It's common to see Russian prospects cash in early before settling in the NHL.

...Now I've heard that the top-end players get extraordinary salaries in the KHL, but is the same really true for guys like Slepyshev who score 8 points as 19 year olds? Ol' Teemu Hartikainen plays on his team and got 30 points!

SterlingArcher

Mar 11, 2013
For me it would go gernat, Slepshev (higher if he was already over here), Zharkov ( who I really like but not on th list), Moroz, Roy and then brossoit. I just don't trust goalie prospects till they have some real seasoning under them.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
In limited minutes/role. It's the 2nd best league in the world and he was a 19 yr old. He was ppg at the WJC. What has Khaira done in terms of numbers?

Again, the poll is who is the best prospect. Leon hasn't signed a contract yet either. Will he? Obviously, but as of today he is an unsigned prospect just like Slepyshev. Didn't stop everyone from voting him our best prospect. No one knows what Slepyshev will do, so judge him on talent and not (perceived) intentions. On talent, he's right there with Yakimov, possibly ahead.

The problem is that "best prospect" doesn't mean "most skilled prospect" to me. It means "prospect most likely to contribute to the Oilers". I don't doubt that Slepyshev is more skilled than some of the guys left on the board, but until I see that he actually has some interest in coming over here, I consider him to be a longshot at best. I do agree, that if he comes over, he should be much, much higher here.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
The problem is that "best prospect" doesn't mean "most skilled prospect" to me. It means "prospect most likely to contribute to the Oilers". I don't doubt that Slepyshev is more skilled than some of the guys left on the board, but until I see that he actually has some interest in coming over here, I consider him to be a longshot at best. I do agree, that if he comes over, he should be much, much higher here.

Then by your criteria, Marincin should be our top prospect, as he is the most likely to contribute to the Oilers.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Then by your criteria, Marincin should be our top prospect, as he is the most likely to contribute to the Oilers.

By my criteria, I don't consider him a prospect anymore at all actually, he's shown he belongs in the NHL, but that's neither here nor there. When talking about guys who I think will make an impact, then I consider upside. Our top 4 prospects I consider guaranteed NHL'ers, so they are on a completely different level than the rest of the guys. I don't consider a guys maximum upside if he's never going to cross the pond.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Roof Daddy and Man of Steel.

Marincin should have been our #1 prospect hands down no questions asked because when evaluating a prospect you have to take into consideration what he has shown against the highest level of competition as well as his potential high end projections.

Marincin has already shown elite level play in the NHL and still has an extremely high end projection. Any "blue chip" defensive prospect picked in the first couple rounds has a relative shot at becoming a bonified #1 Top pairing type D-man. Most our current #1's in the league right now were drafted deeper than Marincin was. You do not typically know how good a defenseman can get until they reach 28 or so.

But I also got to agree that Marincin should not truly be considered a prospect anymore because of his games played in the NHL and how he has excelled in the NHL.

Prospects that are projecting well in the AHL or NHL should be WAY AHEAD of prospects projecting well in Junior. Obviously some players projections are so high that even in junior they can be moved up the prospect rankings. And of course if a player is truly dominating Junior than you can do the NHLE projections and maybe put them ahead as well.

For me this list is clear as a bell with the names involved.

#1 Marincin: Success at AHL, NHL and has lofty upside to boot. But shouldn't really be on this list.
#2 Leon: Dominates Junior and forwards are easier to project at his age.
#3 Nurse: Doen't fully dominate Junior and has not showed particular well at the pro level but has an extremely high upside.
#4 Klefbom: Has not excelled in either the AHL or NHL to date. Has injury problems. But has shown against easy opposition in the NHL that he can play well and has a solid upside.
#5 Pitlick: Points have not necessarily been there but overall body of work in the AHL & NHL has been impressive. Knocking on the door of the NHL for a full time job. Highest draft pedigree of all our remaining prospects. Injuries have derailed him but he is still young and hopefully able to overcome that and get back on track.
The Rest: All the rest of our prospects have little or no success in any professional league and at this point are complete shots in the dark. Those with a legitimate but somewhat small chance to make the NHL: Kharia, Moroz, Chase, Yakimov, LB, Simpson, Davidson, Gernat, Roy, Musil. Maybe one or 2 others.

That's how this poll should have went unless you are only taking upper potential into consideration.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Marco Roy for me. Very underrated, had a tough year with a long term injury last year (wrist, I think?) but he's a great skater, Bruce McCurdy was RAVING about his shot in orientation camp, and brings a bit of everything - backchecking, hits, offense. I think he's got a much better chance atplaying in the NHL than, say, Slepyshev or Ewanyk.

I assume the person that voted for Miller did so in error :laugh:

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Roof Daddy and Man of Steel.

Marincin should have been our #1 prospect hands down no questions asked because when evaluating a prospect you have to take into consideration what he has shown against the highest level of competition as well as his potential high end projections.

Marincin has already shown elite level play in the NHL and still has an extremely high end projection. Any "blue chip" defensive prospect picked in the first couple rounds has a relative shot at becoming a bonified #1 Top pairing type D-man. Most our current #1's in the league right now were drafted deeper than Marincin was. You do not typically know how good a defenseman can get until they reach 28 or so.

But I also got to agree that Marincin should not truly be considered a prospect anymore because of his games played in the NHL and how he has excelled in the NHL.

Prospects that are projecting well in the AHL or NHL should be WAY AHEAD of prospects projecting well in Junior. Obviously some players projections are so high that even in junior they can be moved up the prospect rankings. And of course if a player is truly dominating Junior than you can do the NHLE projections and maybe put them ahead as well.

For me this list is clear as a bell with the names involved.

#1 Marincin: Success at AHL, NHL and has lofty upside to boot. But shouldn't really be on this list.
#2 Leon: Dominates Junior and forwards are easier to project at his age.
#3 Nurse: Doen't fully dominate Junior and has not showed particular well at the pro level but has an extremely high upside.
#4 Klefbom: Has not excelled in either the AHL or NHL to date. Has injury problems. But has shown against easy opposition in the NHL that he can play well and has a solid upside.
#5 Pitlick: Points have not necessarily been there but overall body of work in the AHL & NHL has been impressive. Knocking on the door of the NHL for a full time job. Highest draft pedigree of all our remaining prospects. Injuries have derailed him but he is still young and hopefully able to overcome that and get back on track.
The Rest: All the rest of our prospects have little or no success in any professional league and at this point are complete shots in the dark. Those with a legitimate but somewhat small chance to make the NHL: Kharia, Moroz, Chase, Yakimov, LB, Simpson, Davidson, Gernat, Roy, Musil. Maybe one or 2 others.

That's how this poll should have went unless you are only taking upper potential into consideration.

Give it a rest. You don't know better than everyone else, despite what you think. Marincin is not our #1 prospect

Karsa Orlong

Knight of chains
May 6, 2012
Edmonton
Gernat, who had a similar pro rookie season to Marincin (with way less opportunity), is a complete shot in the dark of ever having an NHL career.

Marincin, one year removed from that rookie pro season is our #1 prospect.

Okay then.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Gernat, who had a similar pro rookie season to Marincin (with way less opportunity), is a complete shot in the dark of ever having an NHL career.

Marincin, one year removed from that rookie pro season is our #1 prospect.

Okay then.

Marincins body of work in the NHL may be a fluke but it was nothing short of remarkable for how well he did. That puts him leagues ahead of any other Prospect. Could Gernat do the same? Maybe, but we just don't know.

I would actually have Gernat #6 on my list, but yes he still does fall more into the shot in the dark category with zero NHL games and only one respectable pro season under his belt.

As soon as Pitlick gets picked he will be the next guy I am voting for.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Give it a rest. You don't know better than everyone else, despite what you think. Marincin is not our #1 prospect

No kidding. Not to mention that he claimed Nurse didn't dominate junior. Nurse has been better in junior than Marincin, yet he claimed Marincin dominated junior. Hmm...logic gap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad