6) Jujhar Khaira - C - Everett Silvertips - WHL - 29.05%
7) Dillon Simpson - D - UND Fighting Sioux - NCAA - 32.67%
8) Greg Chase - RW - Calgary Hitmen - WHL - 37.90%
*Poll #3 was a tie

On to Poll #9:

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Slepyshev for me. But he won't be in the NHL until Oilers are ready to contend or at least until his contract with the KHL is over. Which is perfect. Oilers will need blue chip prospects to be on ELC in 2-3 years time.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Pitlick is a first rounder selected at the start of the second round. Injury plagued but still knocking on the NHL door.

Moroz, for example, is an early second round pick that probably could have slipped to the third round. Doesn't have a single pro game under his belt.

McGlassbangers

Jul 13, 2009
McFinland
I don't have any problems with Chase over Gernat, potential 3rd liner vs potential #4/#5 d-man but guy like Moroz shouldn't be ahead of Gernat IMO.

2nd poll where I voted for Marty.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Pitlick is a first rounder selected at the start of the second round. Injury plagued but still knocking on the NHL door.

Moroz, for example, is an early second round pick that probably could have slipped to the third round. Doesn't have a single pro game under his belt.

Meh. Pitlick might not even be part of this organization come training camp if he fails to make the team and gets waived.

At least with a guy like Moroz there is a chance he might be more than a 4th line tweener. Even if he busted outright there is still a glimmer of hope, all Pitlick ever will be is a 4th line tweener with zero upside.

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
Voted Roy last time, but should've voted for Chase. Considering Chase won anyway, no harm done.

I voted for Roy again, but this time I mean it.

In an injury plagued season, Roy scored at the same rate as Moroz and has a better history of production. Moroz has the size, and produced better in the playoffs, but I still like Roy's upside more.

Then again, I'm starting to get tired of our prospects named Roy breaking my heart in their development. I had high hopes for both Olivier and Mathieu.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
I think Slepyshev is getting a raw deal in these polls. He was a go to guy for the Russians at the WJC and put up not bad numbers in the KHL considering the opportunity he was getting. Easily the second most skilled prospect after Draisaitl. Also the best shot and one of the best skaters among our prospects.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I think Slepyshev is getting a raw deal in these polls. He was a go to guy for the Russians at the WJC and put up not bad numbers in the KHL considering the opportunity he was getting. Easily the second most skilled prospect after Draisaitl. Also the best shot and one of the best skaters among our prospects.

I've been ignoring Slepyshev. Mostly because of the KHL thing....If he acknowledged the NHL or if everything I've ever read suggested that he has zero plans on transitioning to the NHL....then maybe I'd vote him around Bogdan....

I also think Bogdan got a decent bump in the polls for coming over.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I voted Moroz. Don't know allot about him right now, but I think I'll follow him a bit closer this year.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
I've been ignoring Slepyshev. Mostly because of the KHL thing....If he acknowledged the NHL or if everything I've ever read suggested that he has zero plans on transitioning to the NHL....then maybe I'd vote him around Bogdan....

I also think Bogdan got a decent bump in the polls for coming over.

I don't see why that should affect how he's viewed in terms of prospect quality. Kuznetsov kept Washington in limbo for years, that didn't alter their view of him (nor HF's as he was always regarded as a top 10 prospect in the entire NHL). It also took Tarasenko 2 years before he decided to come over. These guys have contracts to fulfill over there, as well as a realistic sense of opportunity. Slepyshev knows he can't get an NHL job right now, and will make more money (and play in his home country) by staying in the KHL.

If he has no interest in coming over by this time next year, then we start to worry, but he really should be somewhere in the 5-7 range, but I get the feeling he drops out of the top 10 based entirely on opinions like yours.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada

I guess that would have to be on Coburn-Myers and Scrivens...

All he did was skate around Turris...or someone...and take a pass 4 on 4....so there should probably be 3 or 4 guys before Iiro...but still...dat snipe.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

If he'd come over with Yakimov I think he'd have gone by now. But who knows if he'll come over or not.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Meh. Pitlick might not even be part of this organization come training camp if he fails to make the team and gets waived.

At least with a guy like Moroz there is a chance he might be more than a 4th line tweener. Even if he busted outright there is still a glimmer of hope, all Pitlick ever will be is a 4th line tweener with zero upside.

Is his deal a one way deal? I would have thought it would be two way.

Because of his injuries his development has been hampered fore sure, but at 22 years old he has a lot of time before we label him a bust. Guy was a much higher ranked draft choice with way more potential than Moroz AND has received a ton of praise from Todd Nelson.

By your logic Klefbom will be lucky to be a bottom pairing type moving forward. He hasn't shown much more than Pitlick at the pro level. I am sure there will be those that disagree but that is pretty hard to argue seen as he is slated to be sent down to the AHL next year where he has had little to no success and last I heard was injured again.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I don't see why that should affect how he's viewed in terms of prospect quality. Kuznetsov kept Washington in limbo for years, that didn't alter their view of him (nor HF's as he was always regarded as a top 10 prospect in the entire NHL). It also took Tarasenko 2 years before he decided to come over. These guys have contracts to fulfill over there, as well as a realistic sense of opportunity. Slepyshev knows he can't get an NHL job right now, and will make more money (and play in his home country) by staying in the KHL.

If he has no interest in coming over by this time next year, then we start to worry, but he really should be somewhere in the 5-7 range, but I get the feeling he drops out of the top 10 based entirely on opinions like yours.

I don't really think of it as how good the players are....but how well they can contribute in the NHL or AHL.

Not having a contract is something to consider. I'm not suggesting he won't ever get a contract....but I havn't heard anything about it either....which is fine....it's not really a big deal.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Is his deal a one way deal? I would have thought it would be two way.

Because of his injuries his development has been hampered fore sure, but at 22 years old he has a lot of time before we label him a bust. Guy was a much higher ranked draft choice with way more potential than Moroz AND has received a ton of praise from Todd Nelson.

By your logic Klefbom will be lucky to be a bottom pairing type moving forward. He hasn't shown much more than Pitlick at the pro level. I am sure there will be those that disagree but that is pretty hard to argue seen as he is slated to be sent down to the AHL next year where he has had little to no success and last I heard was injured again.

It being a one or two way deal is irrelevant. For Pitlick the only thing about a two-way deal that matters is he makes one salary in the NHL and one in the AHL. He's played 3 pro-seasons and was considered a 20 year old for his first season.
http://capgeek.com/waiver-calculator/?player_id=1988&NHL_games=10&pro_games_radio=1&Calculate=
He either makes the team out of camp, or will need to clear waivers in order to be sent down. Truthfully, I don't even think that would be an issue. Better players with more potential than Pitlick get waived every year and almost always clear. If Pitlick doesn't crack the Oilers lineup no team will waste a roster spot on him on theirs.

As for the Klefbom comparison... Klefbom just turned 20 a week ago and has 1 season of NA pro experience. He and Pitlick were drafted a year apart, but Pitlick is effectively 2 years older in terms of hockey experience. Klefbom is the same age now, as Pitlick was for the majority of his first pro year. So if in 2 years Klefbom still hasn't cracked the lineup, you can put him in the same boat as Pitlick.

With that said, I think Klefbom's upside is that of a stay at home #4 with zero offense. I've made the frequent comparison to Ladislav Smid. Bottom pairing honestly isn't all that far off.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Marty Gernat for me. He had a pretty good AHL season which holds a lot of weight for me as I thought he had high bust potential. If he can develop like Marincin I would be over the moon

Next is Roy, who I think got the raw deal with all the injuries. IMO hell be the biggest riser next year. I see him being ranked the 2nd best forward next season (1 of Khaira/Yakimov/Moroz will be biggest fallers)

After is Moroz

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Gernat. Has the size and the offensive abilities to be a top 4 Dman at the NHL level. Just needs to put on a lot of muscle and work on his defensive awareness. I took him ahead of Pitlick because I think Gernat has a much higher ceiling than Pitlick

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
It being a one or two way deal is irrelevant. For Pitlick the only thing about a two-way deal that matters is he makes one salary in the NHL and one in the AHL. He's played 3 pro-seasons and was considered a 20 year old for his first season.
http://capgeek.com/waiver-calculator/?player_id=1988&NHL_games=10&pro_games_radio=1&Calculate=
He either makes the team out of camp, or will need to clear waivers in order to be sent down. Truthfully, I don't even think that would be an issue. Better players with more potential than Pitlick get waived every year and almost always clear. If Pitlick doesn't crack the Oilers lineup no team will waste a roster spot on him on theirs.

As for the Klefbom comparison... Klefbom just turned 20 a week ago and has 1 season of NA pro experience. He and Pitlick were drafted a year apart, but Pitlick is effectively 2 years older in terms of hockey experience. Klefbom is the same age now, as Pitlick was for the majority of his first pro year. So if in 2 years Klefbom still hasn't cracked the lineup, you can put him in the same boat as Pitlick.

With that said, I think Klefbom's upside is that of a stay at home #4 with zero offense. I've made the frequent comparison to Ladislav Smid. Bottom pairing honestly isn't all that far off.

Damn that sucks. With Pitlicks skill set and pre draft ranking I am sure someone will scoop him up quickly on waivers. As this kind of player goes there are very few with his upside IMO. Sure he is a project... but all prospects are and by Todd Nelsons account he is very close to making the NHL permanently.

-Still young (22), development has been hampered by injuries but still enough time to over come that.
-NHL size
-NHL shot
-NHL IQ/Solid 2 way player
-NHL Skating
-Hits

Barring more injury set back (a big if with his track record) I see him being at least a 50/50 chance of being a full time NHLer.

No other prospect left on this list has even close to a 50/50 chance of being an NHLer.

Refreshing to see someone with a objectionable view of Klefbom. I also see a lot of Smid in Klefbom at this age but I think Klefbom is just a little bit better in every way. Smid also picked a direction as being a physical stay at home D-man which really surprised me to be honest.

I hate it when people say Smid has poor skating, IQ, or puck moving skills. Its hilarious because as a prospect his whole thing was skating and puck movement. His weakness was being physical enough. Crazy how much a prospect can change from their original projections.

oilwave

Jan 15, 2011
Edmonton

I think there's a certain point where your draft ranking stops mattering and for me 4 years out is a pretty clear point for that. I think if that draft could be redone today Pitlick would be a 3rd round pick at best and probably would be a 4th rounder in my opinion. Similarly after Moroz's last season I don't think anyone would complain about him being a 2nd round pick. The draft position is just a snapshot of where the kids were at 18, ignoring all the development that has happened since then. I get a lot of Pitlick's issues stem from his injuries, but that doesn't mean his development just gets set back 2 years, there's a good chance that development just never happens instead.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
right now they can all make the team.

hall-rnh-ebs
perron-arco-purcell
pouliot-draisaitl-yakupov
hendricks-gordon-pitlick
lander, gazdic

marincin-petry
nikitin-fayne
ference-schultz
aulie

They could even add a couple players and send draisaitl and marincin down...or do that and and pilfer someone elses waiver wire. Not that i think marincin needs a year in the AHL.

From what I can tell they don't have to loose anyone unless they want to....

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
right now they can all make the team.

hall-rnh-ebs
perron-arco-purcell
pouliot-draisaitl-yakupov
hendricks-gordon-pitlick
lander, gazdic

marincin-petry
nikitin-fayne
ference-schultz
aulie

They could even add a couple players and send draisaitl and marincin down...or do that and and pilfer someone elses waiver wire. Not that i think marincin needs a year in the AHL.

From what I can tell they don't have to loose anyone unless they want to....

Joensuu still has a contract. Not sure Pitlick beats him out. We'll see. Joensuu looked great in last year's training camp. I don't think he's good enough to be a full time guy, but I think he's a guy that knows what he needs to show in training camp to make the team. Not sure the same can be said about Pitlick.

We'll see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad