Prospect Info: HFOilers Ranks: Top 20 Oilers Prospects #7

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I will eat my hat if Khaira becomes an NHL player, even a 4th liner. He was mediocre in the WHL and can barely cut it in the AHL.

He played 9 games in AHL as a 19yo on ATO .. not sure what you mean by "barely cut it" ..

Most of these names after Kelfbom are longshots to make the NHL... whats the point of singling one out?

Simpson will have to leap over 5 other D prospects to get a sniff at NHL action as an Oiler. Khaira has a better shot at 4th line C spot in a couple yrs based on who else plays that position in our system.

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
I will eat my hat if Khaira becomes an NHL player, even a 4th liner. He was mediocre in the WHL and can barely cut it in the AHL.

Will you youtube this? And if so, how many games does he have to play as a 4th liner to get you to eat this hat? And what kind of hat will this be?

I get that people are surprised that Khaira is getting so much love for an overager scoring at under a PPG in the WHL, but he brings a lot of determination, dedication and shows improvement every year he plays. Maybe he shouldn't have been #6 but he's still showing himself to be a very intriguing prospect in the system.

PaperDesigner

Mar 1, 2008
I have Greg Chase as Edmonton's second best forward prospect (at least if you don't include Lander), ahead of both Khaira and Yakimov, and I still voted Simpson.

...Which tells you a lot about Edmonton's defensive prospect pool versus their forwards.

Karsa Orlong

Knight of chains
May 6, 2012
Edmonton
I went with Gernat the last and this one. He may have been inconsistent in his first AHL season, but so was Marincin, and Marincin was given quite a bit more oppourtunity. I can see an argument for Simpson or Chase, but Gernat has definitely been a better prospect than Moroz up to this point.

Nuge93

Stuck in a "Rebuild"
Jun 27, 2013
How high would Slepyshev be if there was a good chance he'd come across the pond??

Aceonfire*

Gernat needs more love here. Simpson hasn't even gone pro yet. Gernat is like the offensive version of Marincin, and I expect he will take a huge leap this year as OKC finally gets some decent talent to work with.

KenLinsemanFanClub

Sorry State
Nov 26, 2003
Isle of Van

Yeah, that lovely 9 game (3 playoff games) sample size sure proved alot about his AHL ability. Other than he and Nurse, I don't think any other late season additions on the Barons played in the playoffs. Shows a lot of faith in his game from the coaching staff in OKC. I think I'll go with their opinion for now.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
How high would Slepyshev be if there was a good chance he'd come across the pond??

It's tough to say.

I'm pretty sure most of us have only seen a little of him at the World Juniors and pretty much heard nothing about his development in Russia, so it's hard to get a read on him.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Simpson for me. He had a very good NCAA season and all the praises come from his high hockey IQ. In the frozen four games I watched he was a work horse. Making great decisions with the puck and basically stopping every rush.

I see his upside as Fayne. All Simpson has to do to become an NHL D soon is work a bit on skating. I think he makes a roster push this season.

I would trade Gernat/Musil easily before him

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

I hope your shoes taste good

http://www.tendthefarm.com/nhl-bound-jujhar-khaira-right-moves/

This is a report from someone who follows the Barons exclusively

Fans in Oklahoma City had the privilege of watching Khaira play six games as a Baron during the final heaves of the regular season in 13-14. He added to that number with three games played in the postseason run. One goal and a few penalty minutes is what we see on the scoresheet, but what we watched with our eyeballs was something completely different.

And in the WHL he played on the shutdown line for a majority of the season, when he was given better linemates he scored a PPG clip.

In the AHL he played on the 4th line with Ewanyk and Comb and was generating all the chances.

I hope he is in the WHL next year playing 1c minutes to get a better read. But I have never read offense will be an issue for him. His defensive game is already pro level too

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton

I think the odds are in your favor and while I'm no scout I have been watching the prospect cycle for the Oilers for the last 10-12 years quite closely.

Usually all but the top two prospects actually do anything on the team. The rest usually fade into obscurity.

Especially forwards. I'm having a hard time thinking of a forward that spent a year or two in the AHL then came to the team and made any impact.

It's almost like if you don't make the Oilers out of Junior career you're doomed. As a forward that is.

Just an observation. Wonder how the rest of the league is like with that.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Khaira has a huge advantage in that he is privileged by our organization. If he meets his potential he fills a glaring need on our NHL club. It seems inevitable that he will get preferential treatment in OKC because of our org's focus on turning the Barons into a development team, and also that Khaira will get injury call ups even if there is a better player ahead of him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad