Prospect Info: HFOilers Ranks: Top 20 Oilers Prospects #7

OVOXO*

That really isn't that important. Lucic, O'Reilly wern't PPG players. Didn't stop them from being top players in the NHL. Meanwhile Locke and Schremp don't have NHL jobs.

Lucic had 30G 68P in 70GP (Regular Season) and 19P in 22GP (Playoffs).

ROR didn't play junior in his post-draft year and went to the NHL but had 66P in 69GP in his DRAFT year.

Khaira had 43P in 59GP (WAY below PPG) and only 16G in the year following his draft. Considering he's bigger than most of his peers, this should be VERY concerning.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Lucic had 30G 68P in 70GP (Regular Season) and 19P in 22GP (Playoffs).

ROR didn't play junior in his post-draft year and went to the NHL but had 66P in 69GP in his DRAFT year.

Khaira had 43P in 59GP (WAY below PPG) and only 16G in the year following his draft. Considering he's bigger than most of his peers, this should be VERY concerning.

It's all about style of play, type of player, natural abilities, you know scouting stuff. You can't simply look at a stat for a prospect and make an accurate determination of his progress or lack of progress.

In Kharira's case, 90% of us slot him as a 3rd line/bottom 6 forward. Therefore we aren't looking for him to score 100 pts. We are probably hoping he turns into a good 2 way player. Defensive play is something that can't be measured with stats.

McDreamy

Losing credibility
Feb 25, 2009
Tough to ignore Khaira's lack of production last year. Doesn't matter how solid he played otherwise. I'm not as high on him as others.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I would have Chase, Simpson, and Moroz over Khaira but that's just me

Nuge93

Stuck in a "Rebuild"
Jun 27, 2013
While this may be true, what has Simpson really done that makes him such a good prospect?

I like Simpson and all, but I don't see what he's done to make him an LOL better than anyone in the top 10 at this point.

This... Chase had an outstanding year in the dub, got an invite to world juniors, but Simpson had a good year, but not outstanding. D is crowded, will never make it in the show...

This is coming from a UND fan...

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Riley Sheahan, Joe Colbourne, Brock Nelson, Zach Smith, Brandon Sutter.

I think those are good comparisons for Khaira he is bigger than all those guys, more determined, and meaner than all, except maybe Smith, who I think is his best comparable.

I will get **** on for saying this but another more far fetched comparison is David Backes. He and Khaira play similar styles. Good leaders, strong, good down low, good on the dot, good in there own zone, and can punish opponents. I'm not saying that he will be Backes but that is his style.

Last edited:

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Pitlick.

For a lot of the same reasons Kharia won last round. Nelson talks very highly of the guy. Has showed well just needs to get healthy.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
I think the two most overrated prospects from the Oilers may be Khaira and Moroz, mainly due to size you'd think.

I think both have an outside shot at bottom six, Khaira more likely and more upside, but both are still longshots somewhat and Moroz especially doesn't strike me as anything more than a 4th liner.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
I think the two most overrated prospects from the Oilers may be Khaira and Moroz, mainly due to size you'd think.

I think both have an outside shot at bottom six, Khaira more likely and more upside, but both are still longshots somewhat and Moroz especially doesn't strike me as anything more than a 4th liner.

Totally agree with this, but I actually thin Moroz has more upside lol. Khaira had a brutal year in the WHL this year.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Surprised that Pitlick is getting so many votes.

I liked him in his call-up last season, but he's more or less been a horrible bust. His offence hasn't converted at all in the pros.

When he was in juniors I thought he'd turn into a 2nd/3rd line tweener and now it looks like he'd be lucky to make it at a 4th liner on the worst team in the league.

I'm pretty sure he'd be able to find a decent job in Europe.

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
Totally agree with this, but I actually thin Moroz has more upside lol. Khaira had a brutal year in the WHL this year.

Did he? As I understood, he was deployed in a more 2-way, checking role. He also was playing his first 'full' season in a couple years, since he did the NCAA route the year before. He also had an injury.

I think he's made progress every step of the way. Ranked too high in my opinion on this list, but I think he'll continue to progress and hasn't plateaued. Last year wasn't brutal, it was just the next step forward for him.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Whoa, Khaira won? Where does this sudden boom in his popularity come from?

I'm confused by it too, he has never scored very much at any level and he really needs to work on his skating so I'm not sure that he ever becomes an NHLer. I'd probably pick Moroz over him.
I think that Simpson is quite clearly the better prospect of this group. More proven and projectable pro skills. I would have picked Simpson over Yakimov as well.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I'm confused by it too, he has never scored very much at any level and he really needs to work on his skating so I'm not sure that he ever becomes an NHLer. I'd probably pick Moroz over him.
I think that Simpson is quite clearly the better prospect of this group. More proven and projectable pro skills. I would have picked Simpson over Yakimov as well.

One fancy shoot out move can make everyone love you, just ask Rob Schremp or Linus Omark.

CanadianSuperPromise

Aug 21, 2012

His skating is pretty good now, has also gotten a lot faster.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Didn't Simpson win or was in line for some of the prestigious NCAA awards?

There was talk of him being a candidate for the Hobey Baker, but I'm thinking he fell outside of the top 10 candidates and he was named to the NCHC First All-Star team.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
His skating is pretty good now, has also gotten a lot faster.

He still looked pretty slow to me in the AHL playoffs which was only several months ago so unless he has improved on it since then, his skating still needs work from what I've seen.

TheBusDriver

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Aug 25, 2009
Edmonton
Went Chase here and in retrospect probably should have voted for him over JarJar last time but clearly I wasnt the only one voting for him.

After Chase its gotta be Simpson.

SterlingArcher

Mar 11, 2013
Voted chase, next Simpson although I would have Slepshev over both of them if he would have come over. To what people are talking about earlier about jujhar I think it is do to his size and nastiness he apparently plays with. Added to that he apparently has untapped offensive potential in that he has great hands and vision but hasn't seemed to put it all together yet. That could be because he essentially has been in three different leagues in three years not only just playing but needing to adapt to a new style of game each time maybe that has something to do with some low numbers offensively.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008

Agreed.. I've been voting Simpson since #5. Should easily go here.

OVOXO*

I will eat my hat if Khaira becomes an NHL player, even a 4th liner. He was mediocre in the WHL and can barely cut it in the AHL.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I will eat my hat if Khaira becomes an NHL player, even a 4th liner. He was mediocre in the WHL and can barely cut it in the AHL.

I'd have to take a look back at the Oilers and other teams, but really how many of these guys should we really expect to do anything at this point in the rankings?

Is there a site that shows historical rankings of prospects?

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

Lol I use that saying as well but only reserve it for situations I am one hundred percent sure on...

How do you like your Hat? With ketchup?

Khaira seems to be improving exponentially and has received high praise from Todd Nelson. Will he be an NHL regular? Still too early but he is tracking very well at a young age.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad