Prospect Info: HFOilers Ranks: Top 20 Oilers Prospects #3

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Very close but Marincin after last season. Both of them raised their stock though.

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Eat **** Riley Nash.

Haha. That worked out very well for us.

Damn this poll is close... As expected.

I just want to go back to Nurse for a sec. I have been reading quite a bit about looking back on the 2013 draft. Most list have the Oilers passing on Nurse and have him re-ranked between 8-17 (THN says that if the draft was held again Nurse would go 17th :help: ). I think this is ridiculous, but it is interesting. Would any of you guys trade nurse straight up for anyone taken after him?

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I think Klefbom is the better prospect, but it is close, either way, whoever is 2nd in this poll is the 4th best prospect, so we can just go to 5 next

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010

I just want to go back to Nurse for a sec. I have been reading quite a bit about looking back on the 2013 draft. Most list have the Oilers passing on Nurse and have him re-ranked between 8-17 (THN says that if the draft was held again Nurse would go 17th :help: ). I think this is ridiculous, but it is interesting. Would any of you guys trade nurse straight up for anyone taken after him?
I'm thinking Ristolainen will be better and he's a RD so the fit would of been better as well, although I can see Nurse establishing himself as one of the leaders on the club and I think when you factor the kind of effect he is going to have overall on the club, he's probably the best bet but possibly not the best player. Nichushkin is someone who should be right up there with Nurse I have to say I wasn't very high on him at the time of the draft though and I still think once defenders key in on him he will have a tougher time succeeding since he's a bit predictable, but when you are playing with two dynamic players like Benn and Seguin you can often get away with being predictable cause the focus isn't on him.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

ha, I just googled that list and it was brutal to say the least:

1-6. Six NHLers
7. Jonathan Drouin, C (actually taken third by Tampa Bay)
8. Rasmus Ristolainen, D, (taken 8th by Buffalo)
9. Nikita Zadorov, D (taken 16th by Buffalo)
10. Alexander Wennberg, C (taken 14th by Columbus)
11. Anthony Mantha, RW (taken 20th by Detroit)
12. Bo Horvat, C, (taken 9th by Vancouver)
13. Curtis Lazar, C (taken 17th by Ottawa)
14. Mirco Mueller, D (taken 18th by San Jose)
15. Max Domi, C (taken 12th by Phoenix)
16. Andre Burakovsky, LW (taken 23rd by Washington)
17. Darnell Nurse, D (taken 7th by Edmonton)

Seems to me that they put a little too much stock in NHL play, and I don't see how any selection after #11 could possibly be worth more than Nurse.

edit: and for some reason they had Fucale actually climbing the rankings by 16 spots, for what reason I'm not sure

McGlassbangers

Jul 13, 2009
McFinland
I'm thinking Ristolainen will be better and he's a RD so the fit would of been better as well, although I can see Nurse establishing himself as one of the leaders on the club and I think when you factor the kind of effect he is going to have overall on the club, he's probably the best bet but possibly not the best player.

As a Finn who has seen a whole lot of Ristolainen, his hockey IQ is alarming. He has a knack for making the stupidest mistakes I've ever seen on my life. His tools are amazing but his toolbox is questionable IMO.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Marincin vs. Klefbom is very tough for me, it's basically a dead heat which seems to be reflected in the vote. They both have attributes I like a lot and I think I've flip flopped a couple times on which one I like best.

Edit: Went with Klefbom, I usually like the more established talents and I like players with mean streaks which Marincin has a bit of, but I almost always prioritize hockey smarts over everything and I just see Klefbom playing a smarter game and his smart little passes that relieve pressure just make me think he has more potential, let's just hope he stays healthy enough to realize it.

Last edited:

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
As a Finn who has seen a whole lot of Ristolainen, his hockey IQ is alarming. He has a knack for making the stupidest mistakes I've ever seen on my life. His tools are amazing but his toolbox is questionable IMO.

I don't know I was pretty impressed with his play in the WJC and while he wasn't quite NHL ready he did a pretty good job in the AHL, which isn't an easy gig for most 19 year old defensemen. If you watch enough of Nurse you can watch him make some stupid mistakes as well, it's very rare to have a d-man under 23 who doesn't make some stupid mistakes from time to time, the ones that don't are typically stay at home guys who play simple games or the absolute cream of the crop defensemen which usually get selected in the top 3.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Voted Klebom but didn't see Marincin on the list as I didn't think he'd still meet the criteria of a 'prospect'.
So I'd change it to Marincin if I could.

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
I'm thinking Ristolainen will be better and he's a RD so the fit would of been better as well, although I can see Nurse establishing himself as one of the leaders on the club and I think when you factor the kind of effect he is going to have overall on the club, he's probably the best bet but possibly not the best player. Nichushkin is someone who should be right up there with Nurse I have to say I wasn't very high on him at the time of the draft though and I still think once defenders key in on him he will have a tougher time succeeding since he's a bit predictable, but when you are playing with two dynamic players like Benn and Seguin you can often get away with being predictable cause the focus isn't on him.

I think what Nurse will bring that is hard to find aside from his talent, size and athleticism is that he plays with the kind of edge and malice that made people love Phenuef before he slowed down.

The kind of guy that puts everything into a check and rips your helmet off in a headlock during a puck battle (saw phenuef do that last year and see that style in Nurse)

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
I think Klefbom is the better prospect, but it is close, either way, whoever is 2nd in this poll is the 4th best prospect, so we can just go to 5 next

I think poll #4 will be just as pointless as poll #2

It is interesting to get the percentages but if people want to skip to 5 we can.

After that though, I can't foresee us needing to skip any more.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
There have been Klefbom versus Marincin polls before and its good to see that gap closing. Last one had Klefbom by a decent margin.

I really don't understand the extent of the Klefbom love.

He is injury prone and has lost some very crucial development.

He didn't show well against quality competition in the NHL, only really looked good when he was son the bottom pairing.

Struggled in the AHL.

Most the love for this guy comes from a great WJC from 3 years ago?

Marincin's first NHL season was out of this world against the highest competition in the NHL. Plus he has a ton of untapped potential. People forget he was drafted for his offensive upside and many figured he would struggle defensively. If he grows into that hulking 6' 4" frame wowsa. Klefbom has a loooong way to go to get to where Marincin is now.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
There have been Klefbom versus Marincin polls before and its good to see that gap closing. Last one had Klefbom by a decent margin.

I really don't understand the extent of the Klefbom love.

He is injury prone and has lost some very crucial development.

He didn't show well against quality competition in the NHL, only really looked good when he was son the bottom pairing.

Struggled in the AHL.

Most the love for this guy comes from a great WJC from 3 years ago?

Marincin's first NHL season was out of this world against the highest competition in the NHL. Plus he has a ton of untapped potential. People forget he was drafted for his offensive upside and many figured he would struggle defensively. If he grows into that hulking 6' 4" frame wowsa. Klefbom has a loooong way to go to get to where Marincin is now.

Most of the love for Klefbom comes from his time with the big club. He looked capable of playing a shut down role and had one of the better first passes on the D. Klefbom looked as capable as Marincin by the end of the season, and is younger. There are reasons to prefer Klefbom.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Most of the love for Klefbom comes from his time with the big club. He looked capable of playing a shut down role and had one of the better first passes on the D. Klefbom looked as capable as Marincin by the end of the season, and is younger. There are reasons to prefer Klefbom.

I feel like I saw a different player than most. Klefbom looked completely over his head to me for most of the games he played in the big league. Marincin was much more composed imo.

Klefbom is younger yeah, but I think at their same ages Marincin was a better AHLer than Klefbom was.

OVOXO*

I don't know if it's just me, but I don't see the defensive stud people see in Nurse, nor do I see him as an offensive threat. He skates well, but he doesn't have a strong slap-shot, nor an elite outlet pass. I really wish we got Nichushkin, but it is what it is. Aside from Nich, I'd take Nurse over Risto because atleast Nurse has some offensive flair and is mean, whereas I see as a stronger Marincin. Won't put up many points, isn't mean, but plays a strong positional game.

Jamie

Mar 2, 2002
Victoria, BC
Visit site
I don't know if it's just me, but I don't see the defensive stud people see in Nurse, nor do I see him as an offensive threat. He skates well, but he doesn't have a strong slap-shot, nor an elite outlet pass. I really wish we got Nichushkin, but it is what it is. Aside from Nich, I'd take Nurse over Risto because atleast Nurse has some offensive flair and is mean, whereas I see as a stronger Marincin. Won't put up many points, isn't mean, but plays a strong positional game.
From my understanding it's Nurse's physical game that has many so excited for him. He's apparently right ripped already and could probably play 40 minutes a game and still have energy while throwing every forward away from his net and throwing big hits and skating with ease to get back into his own end. He's extremely dedicated to being an NHLer and going to the gym to provide him the best chance he has to make it. Hopefully will be a rich mans Willie Mitchell for us (I personally think both realistic and likely, based on what I know of him/his ability).

McGlassbangers

Jul 13, 2009
McFinland

When Nurse was drafted, he was "rock-solid defensive defenceman who delivers punishing open ice hits" and he got compared to Johnny Boychuk. Now he has developed great offensive game, too. He is pretty much the complete package, he does everything well. Hard shot (was 2nd in the hardest shot voting last year IIRC), great skater, very physical, good offensively and good defensively. Hard not to be excited.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad