Prospect Info: HFOilers Ranks: Top 20 Oilers Prospects #3

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
I feel like I saw a different player than most. Klefbom looked completely over his head to me for most of the games he played in the big league. Marincin was much more composed imo.

Klefbom is younger yeah, but I think at their same ages Marincin was a better AHLer than Klefbom was.

Hmm I guess you did. I was very impressed with Klefbom's play at the end of the season. He looked calm and collected, not bleeding chances and moving the puck quickly and effectively out of our zone.

What did you see that makes you say he looked in over his head?

PaperDesigner

Mar 1, 2008
What's the saying about a bird in the hand being worth two in the bush?

For me, talk of upside and ceiling is pretty meaningless this far out from their draft days. Marincin could be the top pairing guy while Klefbom peaks as a depth defender, or vice versa. They both have nice tools that make them projectable as two way defenders. They both showed up in the NHL. The difference is that Klefbom lags a year due to draft dates and that Marincin has played quite well in the NHL. Either could be the better defender. But showing up well in an extended run of NHL games? At this point, that is a more reassuring sign for Marincin, and makes him the better bet.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I'm not sure what Klefbom had done that shows that he is or will be a better player than Marincin. Marincin clearly surpassed him during the 2012-2013 season. Klefbom hasn't even shown he's a great AHL player yet.

Oct 15, 2008
Klefbom will be the better player if he can stay healthy. Klefbom is effectively 2 development years behind Marincin but has already caught up to or even passed him.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Klefbom will be the better player if he can stay healthy. Klefbom is effectively 2 development years behind Marincin but has already caught up to or even passed him.

Klefbom may be the better player long term, but Marincin is quite easily the better player now.

Sethis

May 9, 2004
Voted Marincin.

My personal opinion is that with Marty having shown he's the goods at the NHL level and all LHD coming up through the system, the time is ripe to trade Klefa in the 2C package while his value's high. I love Klefbom's game, but I see him topping out as a Lydman type--valuable, but replicated from people below him.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

Everyone is untitled to their own opinion but this is straight out false. Klefbom was impericaly worse against weaker opponents.

Jejune

Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
What I liked about klefbom was his nhl game consisted of really nice, strong, smart plays in his own end that just got the job done. There was nothing too fancy but he really made some grreat reads down low and made some plays that none of our other dmen are making in their own zone. He won't get a ton of praise offensively, but I think he'll be a great complement to an offensive guy like Schultz or marincin for that matter in the future.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Hmm I guess you did. I was very impressed with Klefbom's play at the end of the season. He looked calm and collected, not bleeding chances and moving the puck quickly and effectively out of our zone.

What did you see that makes you say he looked in over his head?

Agreed. I have no idea what those guys were seeing.
What I saw was a player who struggled with the speed of the NHL game at first (had an awful first couple of games) but then adjusted quickly and was better than Marincin by the end of the season once he got more trust from the coaches. I also thought he was the Barons best Dman in the playoffs. I also think that he some untapped offensive potential, he has a good offensive skillset which has yet to be utilized.

If Klefbom stays healthy which of course is a big if, I strongly feel that he will pass Marincin on the depth chart in short order and i'll go out on a limb and say that he'll be the best Oiler Dman by '15-'16 or maybe '16'-'17 just to play it safe.
I can see why some posters would choose Marincin over Klefbom but I'm just a big believer in him and am willing to go down with the ship if he doesn't pan out.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
Most of the love for Klefbom comes from his time with the big club. He looked capable of playing a shut down role and had one of the better first passes on the D. Klefbom looked as capable as Marincin by the end of the season, and is younger. There are reasons to prefer Klefbom.

That's not what I saw. He was OK on the bottom pairing but when he got time with Schultz it wasn't effective at all.

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
This is really close. It's gonna come down to the last few votes.

I've decided to just skip #4, it's gonna be pretty obvious. Plus this one might even be a tie.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
That's not what I saw. He was OK on the bottom pairing but when he got time with Schultz it wasn't effective at all.

Interesting that people saw such different things in Klefbom.

Not by the end of the year.

I am with you. I thought Klefbom was one of the best Oilers D at the end of the season. He was using great positioning and his body to hold off forecheckers and then make quick, clean passes to forwards as they broke up the ice. I am looking forward to seeing him in TC.

Valic

BOOOOOOOOOO
Jun 12, 2007
Canada
Klefbom had the most effective first pass upon puck retrieval in the defensive zone.

Also, whoever said he looked bad with Schultz? Everyone looks bad with Schultz ;)

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I think Marincin has more range then Klefbom....and this can be better utilized offensively...

Klefbom seems to be stronger, tougher, and reads the play slightly better then Marty....if one of them could learn to play right D and fire a huge clapper they could be a 2nd pair in and of themselves.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Marincin already has an nhl spot whereas Klefbom will be going back to the AHL so Marincin should get the nod IMO

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad