Prospect Info: HFOil Top 20 Oilers Prospects 2018 (Poll #5)

Who is the Oilers #5 Prospect?

• Filip Berglund

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hayden Hawkey

• Philip Kemp

• Ryan Mantha

• John Marino

• Graham McPhee

• Aapeli Rasanen

• Patrick Russell

• Ostap Safin

• Dmitri Samorukov

• Tyler Vesel

• Dylan Wells

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
is Stuey and Maksimov still on the list?

hf oils.

Skinner is a long term question mark and being a goalie we may need to wait a long time to see what we have and with Kirill as I just posted--we saw two different players on the teams he has played for. Both guys are projects who are further away from the NHL then Bouchard, Yamamoto, Benson and Bear--Bear showed us a lot in his brief time last year. Ryan McLeod could be our shiney new toy in a few years. I have only seen a few high lights from the kid but a few of the Stealhead fans I know are over the moon with him and compare him to Dave Bolland

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I remember going to the rookie event when McDavid was drafted and being very impressed by Lagesson. He was one of the few defensemen who seemed to be able to at least partially control McDavid, Nurse being the other.

I remember that as well, also being impressed with the few preseason games Lagesson played.

Swedish Gator one day, I’m telling ya...

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
With Kirill I am curious to find out if he is the prospect we see with the Ice Dogs or the enigma that was with the Spirit
Why? He got much more opportunity in Niagara and its not uncommon for players to finally click in their 3rd year of CHL with more opportunity. Maksimov's stats on the Spirit should be a long distant memory.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I think a lot of people don't realize Maksimov is only ~3 months older than McLeod despite being drafted a year ahead of him.

He had a comparable 17 year old season to McLeod(and probably even better if you put more weight into Maksimov's numbers in Niagara after the trade) and definitely a better 18 year old season this year.

McLeod has some sick physical tools, but I think Maksimov's are almost on the same level and he's shown the ability and willingness to use them consistently.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Why? He got much more opportunity in Niagara and its not uncommon for players to finally click in their 3rd year of CHL with more opportunity. Maksimov's stats on the Spirit should be a long distant memory.

Some would say the rosters of Niagra is better then that of which he had with the Spirit. So the question is, is his stats based upon his ability or those who he played with

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Some would say the rosters of Niagra is better then that of which he had with the Spirit. So the question is, is his stats based upon his ability or those who he played with
Better, sure. But Niagara has not been some kind of powerhouse the last two years, and was middle of the pack offensively last year. And his breakout after the trade in his draft year left him on a very young team with not a ton of skill. Ryan Mantha was almost their leading scorer that year after all.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
McLeod vs Maksimov is basically a toss up to me. There’s no wrong answer, and they’ll go back to back here

Considering he lead the team in goals and was 1 point off the lead in points, but in 6 less games, I don’t think it really makes sense to question whether or not he’s a product of his teammates. It’s not like he put up 80 points while playing with a guy who put up 120

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara

Better, sure. But Niagara has not been some kind of powerhouse the last two years, and was middle of the pack offensively last year. And his breakout after the trade in his draft year left him on a very young team with not a ton of skill. Ryan Mantha was almost their leading scorer that year after all.

As an Ice Dogs season ticket holder, from Day 1 of acquiring Maksimov, I could not understand how his stats were so low. He started scoring right away for Niagara (who were a rebuilding team with little talent up front). Last year they even over-achieved a bit and he was a big part of that.

After his first season in Niagara (when Edmonton drafted him), I was worried that he might be one dimensional puck hog and goal scorer that couldn't translate to the big leagues. His game evolved so much last season. Much better two way play, great vision that made his line-mates better players as well.

To be honest I don't know why anyone would even bring up his stats in Saginaw? That was a young player still developing on a poorly run team. This player is getting better and better in all areas.

To me its like saying "I don't know which Bouchard we are getting. The one with 87 points this year, or the one with 44 last year and only 17 the year before that...".

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
As an Ice Dogs season ticket holder, from Day 1 of acquiring Maksimov, I could not understand how his stats were so low. He started scoring right away for Niagara (who were a rebuilding team with little talent up front). Last year they even over-achieved a bit and he was a big part of that.

After his first season in Niagara (when Edmonton drafted him), I was worried that he might be one dimensional puck hog and goal scorer that couldn't translate to the big leagues. His game evolved so much last season. Much better two way play, great vision that made his line-mates better players as well.

To be honest I don't know why anyone would even bring up his stats in Saginaw? That was a young player still developing on a poorly run team. This player is getting better and better in all areas.

To me its like saying "I don't know which Bouchard we are getting. The one with 87 points this year, or the one with 44 last year and only 17 the year before that...".
Preach brother.

Reactions: Mcnotloilersfan

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

Great post. This is exactly how I see it as well.

I must confess to not knowing anything about him in Saginaw. I discovered him by accident from watching Ryan Mantha down the stretch after the Oilers signed him. My first impression of Maksimov was quite positive. I particularly liked what I saw in the Ice Dog's short playoff run. He seemed very dangerous for a guy whose point totals were not outlandish. But the player I saw this year was much more rounded. He looked faster, more confident and with perhaps a bit more bite in his game. He really seemed to come into his own on an Ice Dog's team that was far from loaded (though I quite like Akil Thomas).

Maksimov's game suits what the Oilers need going forward. A guy that can really shot the pill and who has a nose for the net.

Reactions: Mcnotloilersfan

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Makismov or Jones for me. Junior players always seem to get a bump in this polls because they are still dominating those leagues. Where prospects just going into the AHL have the hype worn off of them because of the tough transition. Jones still looked good in the AHL later in the year by most reports, and thats massive

I do like the sounds of Makismov, but I was burnt by prospects like him before with Platzer. Platzer was buried in London and when he got playing time scored 34 goals and 81 points in his last year and alot of people (including myself) thought we had a steal. But hes kind of flamed out.

I think Jones is the closest prospect on this list to being an NHLer. And given the lower % chance any become an NHLer, thats huge for me

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Makismov or Jones for me. Junior players always seem to get a bump in this polls because they are still dominating those leagues. Where prospects just going into the AHL have the hype worn off of them because of the tough transition. Jones still looked good in the AHL later in the year by most reports, and thats massive

I do like the sounds of Makismov, but I was burnt by prospects like him before with Platzer. Platzer was buried in London and when he got playing time scored 34 goals and 81 points in his last year and alot of people (including myself) thought we had a steal. But hes kind of flamed out.

I think Jones is the closest prospect on this list to being an NHLer. And given the lower % chance any become an NHLer, thats huge for me

Its true half the guys will implode.

Member toni f***ing rajala? Jfj?

Oh dear god things must be better than that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad