Prospect Info: HFOil Top 20 Oilers Prospects 2018 (Poll #5)

Who is the Oilers #5 Prospect?

• Filip Berglund

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hayden Hawkey

• Philip Kemp

• Ryan Mantha

• John Marino

• Graham McPhee

• Aapeli Rasanen

• Patrick Russell

• Ostap Safin

• Dmitri Samorukov

• Tyler Vesel

• Dylan Wells

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Congratulations to poll #4 winner:

f39mJnp.png

Tyler Benson

HFOil Top 20 Oilers Prospects 2018
1) Evan Bouchard - RD - London Knights - OHL - 74%
2) Kailer Yamamoto - RW - Spokane Chiefs - WHL - 93%
3) Ethan Bear - RD - Bakersfield Condors - AHL - 49%
4) Tyler Benson - LW - Vancouver Giants - WHL - 36%

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Now the fun begins.

In my eye, not a lot seperates Lagesson, Jones, and even Samorukov as the top defenceman. Of those 3 I like Lagesson the most, but I think you'll see a lot of devided opinions.

Upfront Maksimov, Safin, and McLeod are the best forward remaining. Though the closeness of Vesel and maybe Marody to being NHL ready might/should push them into the conversation.

Plus you've still got Skinner in net.

My guess...

5) Maksimov
6) Lagesson
7) Jones
8) Skinner (voodoo pick...)
9) McLeod
10) Safin

Samorukov, and Vesel just missing my top 10 cut.

Add... Gambardella? Seems like we're hitting the bottom of the barrel for names. Maybe Currie, as he just signed?

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
1) Bouchard
2) Yamamoto
3) Bear
4) Benson
5) Skinner
6) Mcleod
7) Maksimov
8) Jones
9) Samorukov
10) Safin
11) Lagesson
12) Marody
13) Berglund
14) Kemp
15) Vesel
16) McPhee
17) Kesselring
18) Rodrigue
19) Rasanen
20) Marinho

HM : Mantha, Hawkey, Wells, Persson

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I voted Lagesson last time and voted him again. He may not be the sexy pick amongst the players but I think he can be a solid player in this league.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I voted Lagesson last time and voted him again. He may not be the sexy pick amongst the players but I think he can be a solid player in this league.
I voted him higher than before as well. I hope Berglund signs with us and comes over. If he does, look out

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Didn't get a chance to vote on 4 but McLeod would've been my pick so he's my pick at 5. IMO people are really sleeping on this kid, he's big, has wheels and skill. Still lots of talent to like to round out the top 10. Looking forward to some of these guys turning pro to give us a better read on their potential. I really like Benson as well but IMO McLeod's speed give him the edge for me.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Also, maybe it's just me but I'm not that high on Lagesson. Maybe it's because he's been a prospect of ours for awhile or maybe because he doesn't have much offensive flair. Hoping that he proves me wrong.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I don't trust goalie prospects. Went with McLeod due to skating and tools, even if I wasn't a huge fan. After that it's Jones then Maksimov for me. I don't fully believe in Maksimov until I can see him do it in the pros

Reactions: A91

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Also, maybe it's just me but I'm not that high on Lagesson. Maybe it's because he's been a prospect of ours for awhile or maybe because he doesn't have much offensive flair. Hoping that he proves me wrong.

I don't see this kid play much at all but the few I did I really liked his game. To the extent it's hard to not see him in the nhl for a good long time. Strikes me as a depth defender that really helps a team win despite not putting up many points.

However. His upside is a #5 at best right now. I think he has a much higher floor than most but also a pretty low ceiling.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I think Marody is actually pretty underrated. He'll likely surprise to the upside in Bakersfield this season and I bet he even gets a cup of coffee at the NHL level on an injury call-up.

After the big two of Bouchard/Yamamoto it's a fair step down... but Benson isn't way above Marody imo.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I think Marody is actually pretty underrated. He'll likely surprise to the upside in Bakersfield this season and I bet he even gets a cup of coffee at the NHL level on an injury call-up.

After the big two of Bouchard/Yamamoto it's a fair step down... but Benson isn't way above Marody imo.

Agreed.

"Coop" and benson are interchangeable at 4.

Then skinnsy and max for me. Then mcleod.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Went Maksimov. He will be an NHLer on his shot alone. Whether he’s a 3rd liner or a first liner will depend on the progression of the rest of his game. Could easily have been McLeod, Skinner, Jones or Lagesson as well.

I’m really just happy we have legitimate prospects all the way through pick 13-15 or so.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

I think once people get a better look at him in North America your mind will change. He was playing top pairing in one of the best leagues in the world at 21.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I don't see this kid play much at all but the few I did I really liked his game. To the extent it's hard to not see him in the nhl for a good long time. Strikes me as a depth defender that really helps a team win despite not putting up many points.

However. His upside is a #5 at best right now. I think he has a much higher floor than most but also a pretty low ceiling.

He reminded me of a less skilled and poorer skating LH Larsson. I'm pulling for him, just not as high on him as some others.

Marody IMO needs to get faster and stronger. The skill is definitely there.

Went Maksimov. He will be an NHLer on his shot alone. Whether he’s a 3rd liner or a first liner will depend on the progression of the rest of his game. Could easily have been McLeod, Skinner, Jones or Lagesson as well.

I’m really just happy we have legitimate prospects all the way through pick 13-15 or so.

I really like Maximov as well. So far under Keith Gretzky there haven't been many what the?!?! picks.

I think once people get a better look at him in North America your mind will change. He was playing top pairing in one of the best leagues in the world at 21.

We'll see, I hope that he pushes his way up the depth chart.

Reactions: Aerchon

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
Didn't get a chance to vote on 4 but McLeod would've been my pick so he's my pick at 5. IMO people are really sleeping on this kid, he's big, has wheels and skill. Still lots of talent to like to round out the top 10. Looking forward to some of these guys turning pro to give us a better read on their potential. I really like Benson as well but IMO McLeod's speed give him the edge for me.

From his scouting reports he seems to be a case of all the tools, no determination to use them or inconsistent determination.

Sounds like he could end up being a damn good player or one of those guys who ends up in Europe for a bit and everyone wonders why he never made it.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Toss up between Maksimov and McLeod. Just took Maksimov based on his shot that seems NHL quality, but I think McLeod it a great prospect too. Have a little bit better of a 'gut' feeling about Maksimov for some reason, and that he could perhaps be a good RWer for us based on his size, speed and shot. Good insurance winger prospect who might blossom in case Pulju and/or Yamo can't take the next step on the RW (though I do have faith in them). However, Benson, McLeod and Maksimov are my easy 4-5-6 rankings, and I value all 3 so closely that they could really be in any order for me at this time. After that is the tougher part: still good prospects I like, but tougher to rank them.

Last edited:

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

I remember going to the rookie event when McDavid was drafted and being very impressed by Lagesson. He was one of the few defensemen who seemed to be able to at least partially control McDavid, Nurse being the other.

Reactions: Aerrol

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I remember going to the rookie event when McDavid was drafted and being very impressed by Lagesson. He was one of the few defensemen who seemed to be able to at least partially control McDavid, Nurse being the other.

He's payed at the NCAA level so getting used to NA ice won't be that big of a deal for him this season. Looking forward to seeing what he and the other young players in Bako have this year.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I went with McLeod as well because speed kills and this guys got great speed with good hands, good vision, and an underrated shot. I think he has a high ceiling and a high floor (I believe he can carve out a bottom 6/pk role easily if he doesn't reach his potential).

Others that I considered were:
Maksimov - hardest one for me to pick between, that wrister and one-timer are lethal, good hands, good lateral movement, needs to work on top end speed and acceleration
Marody - excellent playmaker, high IQ, great hands, needs to engage in puck battles more and continue to work on his skating
Skinner - love what he brings. Big, athletic, efficient, and never gives up on a save. Has a swagger or confidence about him that I really like in a goalie. Left him off at 5 for two reasons though. 1. His play was inconsistent throughout the last two years (likely partially due to playing in Lethbridge) despite an incredible finish. 2. I'd like to see him in the AHL first before I give him a true ranking among the prospects as that tends to be the biggest hurdle for goalies going from playing against kids to playing against guys with NHL level shots and playmaking (aka the league where highly skilled guys who can't skate are stars).

Reactions: Mcnotloilersfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->