Prospect Info: HFOil Top 20 Oilers Prospects 2018 (Poll #11)

Who is the Oilers #11 Prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Congratulations to poll #10 winner:

WiDOkKC.png

Ostap Safin

HFOil Top 20 Oilers Prospects 2018
1) Evan Bouchard - RD - London Knights - OHL - 74%
2) Kailer Yamamoto - RW - Spokane Chiefs - WHL - 93%
3) Ethan Bear - RD - Bakersfield Condors - AHL - 49%
4) Tyler Benson - LW - Vancouver Giants - WHL - 36%
5) Ryan McLeod - C - Mississauga Steelheads - OHL - 37%
6) Kirill Maksimov - RW - Niagara IceDogs - OHL - 48%
7) Caleb Jones - LD - Bakersfield Condors - AHL - 35%
8) Stuart Skinner - G - Swift Current Broncos - WHL - 30%
9) Cooper Marody - C - Michigan Wolverines - NCAA - 42%
10) Ostap Safin - RW - Saint John Sea Dogs - QMJHL - 25%

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Persson for me. If he takes yet another step forward after a very good season last year he could be a guy that surprises us in '19-20 in the NHL.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Wow not one post about Lagesson? Still think he sees more nhl time than all of the above lol.

Reactions: Aerchon

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Holy crap this pool is deep, I don't expect all of these guys to live up to potential but damnnn Lagesson, Berglund, Samarukov, Rodrigue, Kemp, and Persson all still there after 10.

Even vesel, mantha and starrett as well

Maybe gambardella and russell lowe as role players.....

Hebig.....Hawkey.....McPhee

Basically everyone but vesey and marino.

Reactions: McNuge

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
We have a legitimately deep and all around balanced prospect group. No more leftorium of prospects all competing for the same ice time. A full group that can hopefully develop as a group as well as individuals. Would love to see the AHL group put together a good playoff run.

We have had good prospect groups before, but this one really "should" produce a solid number of nhl players. I personally don't have this group being an incredibly talented group in terms of true blue top 6/3 + elite #1 starters. But for cheap complimentary pieces we look really good... And imo thats exactly what we need.

One or two wingers/forwards that fall into the top 9 or middle 6 category.

A top 4 PP RD.

A goalie that becomes a splitter or good backup.

A bunch of solid but unspectacular nhl level 5, 6, 7, & 8's

Really would be exactly what the doctor ordered.

Maybe, finally, 1... ONE guy drafted outside the first round that becomes that extremely rare and valuable true top 6/3 or elite goalie for the Oilers. Statistically/probability speaking the Oilers are due for one of these guys.... Right?

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
Even vesel, mantha and starrett as well

Maybe gambardella and russell lowe as role players.....

Hebig.....Hawkey.....McPhee

Basically everyone but vesey and marino.

Yup, and even Marino is looking pretty good too. I'm not a big Starrett fan but if he can end up as an AHL starter or NHL back up it would be a success for him IMO.

Regardless, credit where credit is due Chia has done an awesome job drafting. I remember looking at the prospect list in 2014 and just thinking about how this bad of a team could still have such a shit prospect pool. Even with our top picks graduating this pool is so deep.

Reactions: Aerchon

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Yup, and even Marino is looking pretty good too. I'm not a big Starrett fan but if he can end up as an AHL starter or NHL back up it would be a success for him IMO.

Regardless, credit where credit is due Chia has done an awesome job drafting. I remember looking at the prospect list in 2014 and just thinking about how this bad of a team could still have such a **** prospect pool. Even with our top picks graduating this pool is so deep.

I forgot about brindamour too. I love that guy.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada

Regardless, credit where credit is due Chia has done an awesome job drafting. I remember looking at the prospect list in 2014 and just thinking about how this bad of a team could still have such a **** prospect pool. Even with our top picks graduating this pool is so deep.

I thought marino would show some numbers i guess i hate that he was quickly usurped by a flames prospect.

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
I thought marino would show some numbers i guess i hate that he was quickly usurped by a flames prospect.

Fox was always a better prospect, but for a guy who was a 6th rounder I don't think he has done too bad at all. From what I've read on him he seems more of a 2-way/ shut down guy, and his stats seem pretty good for that type of d man.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

I see a lot of this sentiment around here and I personally can't get on board with giving him credit for drafting when not one draftee has been a successful pro yet, even at the AHL level and even his top pick is struggling while others drafted after him are succeeding so IMO, it's way too early to give him credit for his drafting until even one of these prospects succeeds as a pro. There's some promising prospects to be sure but it's all promise as of now.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Is it Chia or Keith Gretzky. If it’s Gretz and these players pan out we may have to dub him the Great One (Scouting).

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I see a lot of this sentiment around here and I personally can't get on board with giving him credit for drafting when not one draftee has been a successful pro yet, even at the AHL level and even his top pick is struggling while others drafted after him are succeeding so IMO, it's way too early to give him credit for his drafting until even one of these prospects succeeds as a pro. There's some promising prospects to be sure but it's all promise as of now.

yeah too true.

But I think the goal should be 3/4 players panning out.....and you'd be doing pretty (very) good there (including JP).

It seems likely or at least plausible that they could hit that.

But I get the sentiment that we've been here before.....JF Jacques ....Alex Plante .....and all that.....these guys seem more proven and further along than most of the past crop though.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Not a very high ceiling though.

True but this low in your prospect tiers getting a serviceable NHL player is rare enough. Imo the other guys left aren't even seeing much NHL time, nevermind a high ceiling.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad