Prospect Info: HFOil Top 20 Oilers Prospects 2018 (Poll #11)

Who is the Oilers #11 Prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
yeah too true.

But I think the goal should be 3/4 players panning out.....and you'd be doing pretty (very) good there (including JP).

It seems likely or at least plausible that they could hit that.

But I get the sentiment that we've been here before.....JF Jacques ....Alex Plante .....and all that.....these guys seem more proven and further along than most of the past crop though.

I certainly agree with that, this crop has a more diverse skillset and a higher ceiling than the previous groups and as flawed as Mclellan is, I have more faith in him and his staff than the previous coaches to get the most out of these youngsters. I just think praise should be reserved for when some of these guys actually pan out at the NHL level.

@MoneyGuy Gretzky should get credit if these prospects pan out but Chia should also get credit for hiring Gretzky.

Reactions: Aerrol

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
I see a lot of this sentiment around here and I personally can't get on board with giving him credit for drafting when not one draftee has been a successful pro yet, even at the AHL level and even his top pick is struggling while others drafted after him are succeeding so IMO, it's way too early to give him credit for his drafting until even one of these prospects succeeds as a pro. There's some promising prospects to be sure but it's all promise as of now.

While I agree somewhat, we also can see what these prospects are doing relative to their age group and draft position. Pre Chia our prospects were shit compared to their age group, even 2nd and 3rd rounders. When was the last time we had 4th and 5th rounders perform like Maksimov and Bear? Both of those guys go wayyyy earlier then they did on draft day.

I realize most of them haven't done anything at the professional level but lets not forget most of them are not even eligible to be at those levels either. I don't think anyone is expecting a 5th rounder to step in to the NHL in their D+1.

Reactions: MikeFLB

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I certainly agree with that, this crop has a more diverse skillset and a higher ceiling than the previous groups and as flawed as Mclellan is, I have more faith in him and his staff than the previous coaches to get the most out of these youngsters. I just think praise should be reserved for when some of these guys actually pan out at the NHL level.

@MoneyGuy Gretzky should get credit if these prospects pan out but Chia should also get credit for hiring Gretzky.

and for signing FA prospects....no? and trading for a few too.

he's definitly been relying on Gretzky a ton....but he's also managed to not get his tie caught on the fax machine or send a contract stained with honey mustard over to Cooper Marody's ex girlfriends house.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
True but this low in your prospect tiers getting a serviceable NHL player is rare enough. Imo the other guys left aren't even seeing much NHL time, nevermind a high ceiling.

I think Berglund has a good chance to be the Klefbom to Lagesson's Larsson.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I see a lot of this sentiment around here and I personally can't get on board with giving him credit for drafting when not one draftee has been a successful pro yet, even at the AHL level and even his top pick is struggling while others drafted after him are succeeding so IMO, it's way too early to give him credit for his drafting until even one of these prospects succeeds as a pro. There's some promising prospects to be sure but it's all promise as of now.

Personally. I believe it's a credit where credit is due because all prospects are basically gambles. Even if non graduate that really doesn't change that the picks selected to date have met or exceeded expectations.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I think Berglund has a good chance to be the Klefbom to Lagesson's Larsson.

That's fair. I should have clarified that I was explaining my Lagesson vote here (and previously). I'm definitely not an expert on any of the prospects left at this point so I'm open to being convinced otherwise.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada

-hes already wearing oiler colours
-a lot of stuff from the point.....a lot of sauces to inexplicably wide open pettersen one timers. filthy one-timers.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I wouldn't even put Persson in this list, he is an outsider who has gone a different path, amazing as it may have been these last years. That upwards trajectory/development curve of his is something for the history books in SWE. That said I won't be voting for him here because he is such an unknown despite that, for me he's a joker.

This is Lagesson all the way imho. I had him at 5, so not so much to add. I think at worst he'll be a force in the AHL (although stats won't show much since he is not a point getting D-man) and at best a good option for our 3rd pair. I also agree that Berglund has a strong case, but I would like to see how he performs this season before pegging him into this tier of prospects. He had some really good stretches of play last season, especially in the playoffs, and if he builds on that he'll take a huge leap in these rankings I think, but he is not there yet and his skating is still a bit of an issue (albeit less than it was last year).

Last edited:
Reactions: Aerrol

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Pettersson will likely be a Matthews/Eichel level of NHL player. Could quite easily see him getting a point per game as a rookie. Persson benefits a lot with someone of that caliber on his team.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Philly Kemp making strides and getting slept on by oil nation here.

He'll be suiting up at the world junior tournament come December.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Pettersson will likely be a Matthews/Eichel level of NHL player. Could quite easily see him getting a point per game as a rookie. Persson benefits a lot with someone of that caliber on his team.
I am not sure about that level for Pettersson, but in any case Persson definitely benefited from playing with Pettersson and also playing on an excellent team. It will be interesting to see how he does this season. Apart from Pettersson the team also lost their 1C Rosen, who will be replaced by Horak. So despite having probably the strongest back-end (GKs, Ds) their FWDs this year is a bit of a question-mark, Horak . Persson will most likely be 4D playing on PP1.

One note about Persson is that in the 7 GP when Pettersson was away (U20s) he scored 2 PP goals and added EQ 2 assists. Sample size is minimal (so is the one season to be fair) but that is the same pace he was on playing with Pettersson. The only difference is that he was the one scoring the PP goals instead of Pettersson. I wonder if they'll try to use him more as the trigger-man on that PP this season.

Edit: Still a joker though. Would be awesome if he picks up where he left off last season, but I could just as likely see a significant drop off.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Pretty damn solid top 10 list of prospects we have, IMO. More solid than most years in the past. Maybe we say/think that every year, but I do objectively think this is a good group of prospects regardless of that. Laggeson is a fine prospect and he doesn't even crack the top-10 (which I agree with, and I'm pretty high on him). And there's still prospects left that I like quite a bit, even if they are probably long shots. Future looks pretty good as long as Chia doesn't squander it.

Reactions: LemmyUlanov55

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad