HFNYR Armchair Fantasy GM League

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
There was a poster, DarkPassenger who I believe was a blues fan that loved this last time you did it. Unfortunately I think he changed his name and I have no idea who he is now. But if anyone knows... he is another one.

New York RKY

Let's Go Rangers!
Sep 6, 2009
Arizona
There was a poster, DarkPassenger who I believe was a blues fan that loved this last time you did it. Unfortunately I think he changed his name and I have no idea who he is now. But if anyone knows... he is another one.

Way ahead of you, I messaged him already :laugh:

New York RKY

Let's Go Rangers!
Sep 6, 2009
Arizona
If you need more people there are probably tons of people who support other teams that wanna join.

I messaged some of my real good friends from previous games I did under the fantasy section (those are some of the names you see in here) but if anyone has friends from other teams feel free to message them.

If we can get this up to 30 teams I'll run it on NHL 18.

New York RKY

Let's Go Rangers!
Sep 6, 2009
Arizona
After a bit of work I found Fantasy Hockey Manager 2. Looks like it fits the bill. Not sure if the rosters are current though

I did some research on this and this is what I found:

Once launched, the title offers two main game modes: “Path to Gloryâ€, a standard career mode lasting on average 25 to 30 years where you start unknown and build your way up; and “Sandboxâ€, which offers you the choice of playing a completely made up league from scratch or play historical matches going back all the way to 1931.

This is the part that bothers me though:

Franchise Hockey Manager 3 is licensed by the NHL, a majorly important feature which allows the league’s team names and logos to be used in the game and gives players the ability to control said real teams. Weirdly, though, the game does not follow proper NHL rules -- roster sizes, trade limits, and draft lotteries are all wrong, and that is unforgivably jarring in a title that aims to be a hockey simulator.

New York RKY

Let's Go Rangers!
Sep 6, 2009
Arizona
Alright guys, so here's the deal:

This is probably going to be the longest, but most important post, in this thread.

I don't want to run this game as a dictatorship, I want you guys to have a say in how the game goes because then I feel like you'll be more invested.

I'm using this thread to get the GM's figured out and work through all the issues before we move to the main thread.

At the end of the day this post comes down to whether you want this to be a simulator league versus a more real life league.

PLEASE, I would very much appreciate that you read the below options and pick which one you feel is best

I will lay out the pros and cons for each choice as far as the research I've done. I'm 95% sure I know my choice but I'll refrain from posting:

NHL 18 - Simulator:
+ I will have full control over the entire league in the simulation.
+ We can do quicker seasons
- You won't be able to see all the details of the sim all the time, I would be continuously posting league updates in here.
- We would be required to do a 30 team league (one workaround I thought of would be to have teams not used filled with players that are 40 and 50 overalls so they won't impact the league)
- There is no player progression--meaning overalls are what they are until either EA updates the game or they move to the next year of the game.

Eastside Hockey Manager - Simulator:
+ The league is extremely thorough.
- You won't be able to see all the details of the sim all the time, I would need to be continuously posting league updates in here.
- We would be required to do a 30 team league (the only workaround would be maybe something similar to the NHL 18 option). Additionally, I can only control 1 team so the only thing I think I could do would be to create a roster file and use that to start the league. I don't know if I'd be able to do trades in the season then.

Fantrax - Fantasy Hockey:
+ It's a keeper league so it will carry over
+ Player progession obviously mimics NHL
+ You'd be able to view the league at any time, I wouldn't need to post updates. You can edit lines as well.
- Slower seasons since we are mirroring the NHL schedule

Let me know if I missed and pros and cons or if I'm incorrect on something. Also let me know if there are any other options.

Please make a choice!

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Alright guys, so here's the deal:

This is probably going to be the longest, but most important post, in this thread.

I don't want to run this game as a dictatorship, I want you guys to have a say in how the game goes because then I feel like you'll be more invested.

I'm using this thread to get the GM's figured out and work through all the issues before we move to the main thread.

At the end of the day this post comes down to whether you want this to be a simulator league versus a more real life league.

PLEASE, I would very much appreciate that you read the below options and pick which one you feel is best

I will lay out the pros and cons for each choice as far as the research I've done. I'm 95% sure I know my choice but I'll refrain from posting:

NHL 18 - Simulator:
+ I will have full control over the entire league in the simulation.
- You won't be able to see all the details of the sim all the time, I would be continuously posting league updates in here.
- We would be required to do a 30 team league (one workaround I thought of would be to have teams not used filled with players that are 40 and 50 overalls so they won't impact the league)
- There is no player progression--meaning overalls are what they are until either EA updates the game or they move to the next year of the game.

Eastside Hockey Manager - Simulator:
+ The league is extremely thorough.
- You won't be able to see all the details of the sim all the time, I would need to be continuously posting league updates in here.
- We would be required to do a 30 team league (the only workaround would be maybe something similar to the NHL 18 option). Additionally, I can only control 1 team so the only thing I think I could do would be to create a roster file and use that to start the league. I don't know if I'd be able to do trades in the season then.

Fantrax - Fantasy Hockey:
+ It's a keeper league so it will carry over
+ Player progession obviously mimics NHL
+ You'd be able to view the league at any time, I wouldn't need to post updates. You can edit lines as well.
- Slower seasons since we are mirroring the NHL schedule

Let me know if I missed and pros and cons or if I'm incorrect on something. Also let me know if there are any other options.

Please make a choice!

I believe with EHM you have the ability to limit the number of teams in the league you create. Also if we all had EHM on our computers we can join your created league so we can see the results and edit lines/make trade offers etc.

I already have the program but I believe is only like $9.99 or something like that in Steam.

We couldn't go too far a head of the current NHL season though because we wouldn't get the patch with the new NHL prospects until they get a good idea of what those players are going to look like.

New York RKY

Let's Go Rangers!
Sep 6, 2009
Arizona
I wanted to bump is thread for two reasons

1) In case more people want to sign up

And

2) To let everyone know that I have given teams to roughly half the people that have signed up so far.

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC

Well in terms of teams you can control, if you create multiple GM's you can control more than one team, however it takes absolutely forever to sim that way and may not be worth the time, but you could set one gm up for every team

You could also have a smaller league by choosing a playable league that isn't the NHL, or by creating your own, but again that's time consuming and you'd have to use the db editor

New York RKY

Let's Go Rangers!
Sep 6, 2009
Arizona
Alright everyone, I appreciate the feedback and providing me information about EHM that I wasn't aware about.

Most people said that they had no preference. While I do have more time lately I don't think I would have the time to invest in EHM like JP explained about.

With that said I think we are going to go with Fantrax for the first season. From all the research I've done it is one of the best simulators. I figured by the time we are done with our drafts (more info to follow) it will be close to October anyways.

After the first season we can reevaluate. I hope no one hasn't a problem with my choice, it really seemed like the best option with the least amount of work for me.

Let me know if you have any questions. I'm going to let his thread run for a couple of more days before I open up the main thread.

New York RKY

Let's Go Rangers!
Sep 6, 2009
Arizona
I'd like to sign up. Sounds like fun :yo:

I have one more person that said they were interested previously but I'm waiting for them to confirm they are playing. If he confirms he's playing then that would put us at 14 and that would probably be the max for this first season.

If you want you could start out as a player agent this offseason and take an expansion team next year.

CincyRanger24

Feb 25, 2015
Bummer, I missed this. I definitely want to play in this next year since this year is already capped off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad