HFNHL Playoff Picture Thread

HFNHLOilers

Dec 13, 2008
Brampton
Looks like the season is going to be down to the wire between the 3rd seed and all the way to the 11th spot preds unless a monumental collapse by the ducks and sharks I could be fighting for the pacific division title till game 82

The old geezer

Feb 10, 2007
The Wings are in tough to hold onto a play-off spot to be honest and actually end with what could be a 'play-in' 4 game series vs. the Preds to end the regular season. I started looking awhile back and determined I have one of the tougher schedules to close the season. It saw me play back to back with the Canucks (was a split) then 3 consecutive games against the conference leaders (2 vs Blues and 1 vs Habs which I'm 0-2 so far) then a game against the division leading Stars and throw in 5 games against teams close to passing me.

Not a fun closing schedule that could yet see me drop out.

Wings collapse in full effect

-> Lost 5 straight. Now only 1 point separating 4 teams for spots 6 through 9

-> Wings recently lost their top point producer/top faceoff guy/top PK guy in Martin Hanzal for the remainder of the regular season. If nothing else the Wings will hold the title of most injury plagued team this year as they've had multiple players out most of the season and will end the year having played only 6 games with a full roster

-> I've thought at several points a particular trade or injury would be the coupe de grace for the season and it hasn't yet so who knows ... but losing your most complete forward is tough to absorb

Vaive-Alive

Mar 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
After going 1-9 in the 10 games after the trade deadline ( which proves my theory that the SIM has had it out for the Bruins since day one - the team is better now than it was before but is performing worse ) the Bruins might still have a glimmer of hope of making the playoffs if they can finish the season strong with wins, and have a few of the teams close by in the standings experience some of the rotten luck with the SIM the Bruins have had all season long. Time for another team to go on a losing streak! Good grief.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Well, between the three losses to the Blackhawks and today's 6-2 drubbing in a critical match against the Ducks, who we were chasing for the 8th seed in the West, it seems the Blue Jackets' hopes for a playoff berth are receeding faster than Dryden's hairline. :-p

The most glaring issue for this team continues to be incompetent special team's play at both ends... And near as I can tell, there's no reason for it. With only four games left and two teams to vault over, the opportunities to dove this puzzle are running out. It ain't over yet, but the fat lady is definitely warming up her pipes. Missing the playoffs will definitely amount to an utter failure, notwithstanding the incredibly deep and difficult competition in the West. Everyone's job will be up for review, with GM Emerson topping the list since he vitrrtually gutted the farm over the past two years in order to assemble this roster, and hinged the team's financial future on strong playoff performances that have yet to appear. Head Coach Mike Babcock will also face increased scrutiny, as he has struggled all season to coax performance out of arguably one of the top five rosters in the West. When special team's fail consistently, one has to look to the coaching staff...

Of course, all of thi assumes the Jackets don't pull a Philly and sneak into the playoffs on a shooting in the 82nd game (not likely: we suck in shootouts, too) and namely all the way to the SCF...

Why, yes, these are powerful drugs I'm smoking, why do you ask?

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Well, between the three losses to the Blackhawks and today's 6-2 drubbing in a critical match against the Ducks, who we were chasing for the 8th seed in the West, it seems the Blue Jackets' hopes for a playoff berth are receeding faster than Dryden's hairline. :-p

Of course, all of thi assumes the Jackets don't pull a Philly and sneak into the playoffs on a shooting in the 82nd game (not likely: we suck in shootouts, too) and namely all the way to the SCF...

Why, yes, these are powerful drugs I'm smoking, why do you ask?

I feel for ya Douglas. Anyway it slices the rest of the way, a couple of deserving teams in the West will end up on the outside looking in.

It could be worse though. This could be the AL East and we could all be the Jays.

HFNHLOilers

Dec 13, 2008
Brampton
I could be holding the key to the final playoff spot with 5 games remaining I play the ducks and sharks in pivotal games for both of them and for me. The Coyotes will be desperate tomorrow to beat me and keep there slim hope alive and then I could also hold the key to the top seed in the east with games against the Canadians and Panthers

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
My hairline is the same as Kershaws.

Nerdier don't steal 6 critical points from me. Not to worry, though - I'm catching up to both of you, and have a spare tire to boot.

EDIT: apparently iPhone's text correcter thinks Kershaw is nerdier. Interesting.

Last edited:

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Well I did my part today in beating the Habs 5-2. Tied for first in the Eastern Conference. Both of us have two games left. I play the Stars and Canes. Habs play the Thrashers and Sabres.

DiamondJoeQuimby

Jun 3, 2005
New York State
Beat the Canes when you play them please.

I'm not sure that I'll make it anyway. 4 games left, @ANA, STL, @NJ, @CHI.

Just waiting for things to end so I can get to work on really cleaning this team up.

Got the win over the Ducks. Can the Blues sit their first line? I'd still like some playoff experience even if our team is made up of 5 forwards, 2 defenders and Luongo.

Last edited:

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
So after karma kicked my ass for a few games my boys got it together long enough to lock up a playoff spot, putting 4 teams from the toughest division in the league into the playoffs..

Just before the trade deadline I figured if I could get 95-96 points I'd have a very good chance at getting in and made that my target. Now with 2 games left I finally clinch a spot with 96 points, pretty good guess.

HFNHL Commish

Feb 28, 2002
Ducks are down to the wire and have no one to blame but themselves...

In other news, the top 13 teams in the West would all have qualified for the playoffs in the East. Zing! ;-)

Dryden

Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
Ducks are down to the wire and have no one to blame but themselves...

In other news, the top 13 teams in the West would all have qualified for the playoffs in the East. Zing! ;-)

Don't let Krueger hear that. He will argue with Doug about which conference is better and the posts will need an audible.com account or take days to read and a dictionary to comprehend.

HFNHL Commish

Feb 28, 2002
Don't let Krueger hear that. He will argue with Doug about which conference is better and the posts will need an audible.com account or take days to read and a dictionary to comprehend.

In that case, I'll fire another shot across the bow!

The last place team in the West has a better goal differential than a playoff team in the East. ;-)

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Congrats to all the teams in the West - the 8 playoff spots have been decided (even if the BJ's lose their last game I believe they win the tie-breaker...)... heartbreakers for the Ducks and Sharks...

Still 4 teams battling it out in the East.....

7 Rangers 81 26 37 6 2 6 4 82
8 Senators 81 27 33 1 6 5 9 81
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
9 Hurricanes 81 30 38 4 2 3 4 80
10 Flyers 80 24 36 5 3 6 6 79

The Flyers can still finish with 83 points... The Rangers just need a point in the last game to get in.

The Rangers and Canes have tough tough match-ups. The Rangers play the Avalanche. The Hurricanes play the Panthers and need the Senators to lose.

Senators have the Blackhawks - can Dryden play spoiler now that his dream of ending the Blue Jacket's playoff hunt failed?

The Flyers though - they only have the Wild and the Lightning. 2 of the three worst teams in the league. Any slip-ups by the teams above them and a couple wins will see the unlikeliest of scenarios.

HFNHL Commish

Feb 28, 2002
The Ducks would like to congratulate the Blue Jackets on sealing the deal. After beating Doug's boys in a head-to-head match, I thought I had it made. Wrong-o!

In the end, my lack of OT and SO loss points was my undoing. The Ducks are FOURTH in the West in regulation wins, yet out of the playoffs. Crazy.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
The Rangers and Canes have tough tough match-ups. The Rangers play the Avalanche. The Hurricanes play the Panthers and need the Senators to lose.

And unfortunately for Jon, if I win I take the Eastern Conference. If Montreal won both games to close the season, I would have started Manny Legace to give Jon Quick a rest before the playoffs. But with the top seed in the East on the line, this game is equally important to me.

It's funny though, the predicament I'm faced with.

I also have the Senators first round pick. If I lose to the Canes, it gives me a chance of having a lottery pick (in the top 10). If I beat the Canes, I gain the East crown, but I also fall in the draft to the mid first round.

This is obviously an easy decision (since I've yet to win the regular season Eastern title in my tenure as Panthers GM, despite the success of my team the last few years), but it sucks to have things on the line, win or lose.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
The Ducks would like to congratulate the Blue Jackets on sealing the deal. After beating Doug's boys in a head-to-head match, I thought I had it made. Wrong-o!

In the end, my lack of OT and SO loss points was my undoing. The Ducks are FOURTH in the West in regulation wins, yet out of the playoffs. Crazy.

I thought you had it made, too - your team held on far longer than I expected, and Pasi's last-season surge was very worrying. Definitely one of the tightest races in recent memory, and it took a 3-game win streak to make it in. Some very good teams not in the playoffs this year.

Brock: consider the draft position a reward if your boys stumble tonight. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad