HFNHL Playoff Picture Thread

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
THE EASTERN CONFERENCE

Once again, proving beyond a shadow of a doubt that the Western Conference is more competitive, 5 teams from the East qualified for the playoffs today.

1 XCanadiens 72 34 24 4 2 5 3 91
2 XPanthers 71 34 24 3 1 5 4 89
3 XPenguins 71 30 25 5 0 7 4 88
4 XSabres 71 31 25 2 1 7 5 86
5 XDevils 71 31 24 1 3 7 5 86

Congrats to those teams.

The only real question is the battle between the Pens and the Devils for the Atlantic division title. The Sabres have faltered and the trade for Ovechkin has done little, so the Canadiens are in the drivers seat for the North-East.

And why even talk about the South-East. That's the easiest bet in all of fantasy sports. The real question of course is why can't the Panthers win the Presidents Trophy out of this division?

The 6 seed looks almost set for the Islanders - and after that, 7 through 12 all have a chance at making the playoffs.

6 Islanders 71 31 27 2 4 5 2 82

The Hurricanes and Senators hold the last two playoff spots but they're over 12 points behind the 5th placed Devils.

7 Hurricanes 72 29 32 2 2 3 4 74
8 Senators 70 23 28 1 5 5 8 71

The 9th spot today, by tie-breaker only belongs to the Bruins. But the Bruins have played as many as 4 or 5 games more than the teams around it in the Standings and must be outsiders for a playoff spot.

9 Bruins 75 23 33 2 5 4 8 71

It seems more likely that a challenge will arise, whoever likely it may have seemed at points in this season, from the Flyers, Thrashers and the Rangers. If the Rangers could win a few more games on the road it would go a long way to improving their chances.

10 Flyers 70 21 32 5 3 4 5 68
11 Thrashers 70 20 30 1 5 7 7 68
12 Rangers 71 23 35 4 2 4 3 67

The rest of the East is out of it.

THE WESTERN CONFERENCE

It's a two horse race for the Presidents Trophy. Once again, the Blues have risen from the ashes and ridden away from the field. They've suffered a small dip in form, but have once again found a winning streak just when it matters. It's their to lose.

The Avalanche have overcome a so-so start to the season and restored their rightful place at the top of the NW division after a difficult season last year. With the Flames average form of late, the division crown is theirs to lose.

1 Blues 70 40 15 3 2 5 5 103
2 Avalanche 73 36 21 5 2 5 4 98

The Stars have had a great season. New GM Zac Niece can gloat about back-to-back wins over the two Western Conference finalists, the Flames and Canucks.

3 Stars 71 33 23 5 1 2 7 88

The wheels almost came off for the Flames, under the controversy of financial irregularities, and a quick turn-around of form. Three big additions at the deadline had steadied the ship, but the Canucks look poised to push ahead of them in the standings. A re-match of the West finals in the first round anyone?

4 Flames 71 37 24 3 1 4 2 91
5 Canucks 72 28 25 3 2 8 6 86

The Red Wings have surprised everyone this season and continue to be steady. They should hang onto a playoff spot without a problem, the real question then becomes, who's gonna win in a Niece-Niece playoff series?

6 Red Wings 71 29 24 2 2 7 7 85

Can 4 out of the 5 NW division teams make it into the playoffs? The Oilers hope so. Despite some rebuilding moves, they're playing the best of the teams in the hunt for the last two playoff spots.

7 Oilers 70 32 23 1 3 3 8 83

The Blue Jackets, Sharks, Predators and Ducks are not out of it yet either. All are within 3 points of that last playoff spot in what will be an epic battle, and one that will come down to the wire.

8 Blue Jackets 70 31 25 1 5 5 3 82
9 Sharks 71 29 27 2 2 6 5 81
10 Predators 71 31 26 3 3 2 6 81
11 Ducks 70 31 28 1 4 5 1 79

It's all about form at this point in the year, which favors the Blue Jackets. If the Preds can find a few more goals, they could challenge. The Sharks have had a lot of ties and have been less convincing than the teams around them. The Ducks are poised to upset - They've got the ability to score and keep the puck out - they just need a little better luck.

HFNHLOilers

Dec 13, 2008
Brampton
There shouldn't be any question as to who should win in a playoff series vs me and my dad i mean come on Ive got the young hockey mind as apposed to my dad whose aging and losing his touch :p

Dryden

Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
well if you can't make the playoffs be a spoiler i say. round 1 to the Hawks. sheesh 4 games in a row against the BJ's. bah

Fan.At

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2002
HFNHL Preds
great, i love to get the "if ... they could" - tag at this point of the season.

sometimes i hate my team, i really do

Ville Isopaa

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
THE EASTERN CONFERENCE

The Hurricanes and Senators hold the last two playoff spots but they're over 12 points behind the 5th placed Devils.

7 Hurricanes 72 29 32 2 2 3 4 74
8 Senators 70 23 28 1 5 5 8 71

C'mon Canes! Lose Lose Lose! Here's to a 0-10-0 record for the last 10 games! :cheers:

THE WESTERN CONFERENCE

It's a two horse race for the Presidents Trophy. Once again, the Blues have risen from the ashes and ridden away from the field. They've suffered a small dip in form, but have once again found a winning streak just when it matters. It's their to lose.

The Avalanche have overcome a so-so start to the season and restored their rightful place at the top of the NW division after a difficult season last year. With the Flames average form of late, the division crown is theirs to lose.

1 Blues 70 40 15 3 2 5 5 103
2 Avalanche 73 36 21 5 2 5 4 98

If a 10-1 or 15-3 start, is so-so, what's a good start? :huh:

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
The Canucks have been pretty dominant on home ice in the second half, winning 21 of the last 23 at GM Place. Those two losses came to the Panthers and Habs (and both started three game losing streaks oddly).

Five home games remain, with road matchups also scheduled for Toronto, New Jersey, Florida and Los Angeles.

The old geezer

Feb 10, 2007
The Wings are in tough to hold onto a play-off spot to be honest and actually end with what could be a 'play-in' 4 game series vs. the Preds to end the regular season. I started looking awhile back and determined I have one of the tougher schedules to close the season. It saw me play back to back with the Canucks (was a split) then 3 consecutive games against the conference leaders (2 vs Blues and 1 vs Habs which I'm 0-2 so far) then a game against the division leading Stars and throw in 5 games against teams close to passing me.

Not a fun closing schedule that could yet see me drop out. Conversely some chasing teams (like Columbus) on paper had an easy closing schedule ... thanks Dryden for winning those 2 vs. CBJ - keep it up ;)

It would be fun if it was a Niece vs. Niece first round match-up ... young Tiger vs. old Lion thing ... the kid needs to be taught some respect with a good old smackdown :P

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
make that 2 victories against the Jackets!

If Doug gets knocked out and it was my 2 wins that did it i'll be a happy guy ;)

Oddly, my line settings weren't used (not the lines themselves, but the checking/defence/offence settings) - but I don't appear to have had any injuries or other reasons for the lines file to change. So I'll assume that's why I lost those games. It couldn't be for any other reason... like, say, my apparent inability to stop Pavelski on the powerplay...

Anyway, despite those two losses I'm still the 8th seed, so you'll have to do better than that, Dry. ;)

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
I'm hoping my relatively easy schedule helps me hold onto a playoff spot.

7 of my final 10 games are against teams with less points than I have right now. Even better, outside of the Sharks, the other 6 games are against teams at least 12 or more points back.

If I can't lock up a spot then I need :help:.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Better?

3 wins baby and out of the playoff spot!

... and again, the line settings being used are not the ones I submitted. No guarantees I would have performed any better, of course, but I was 8-1-1 using my settings prior to these games...

Unfortunately, I got back too late last night (this morning, technically) to fire up the laptop in windows mode and resubmit the lines file, but I've done it now, so we'll see how you fare against the real Blue Jackets.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
... and again, the line settings being used are not the ones I submitted. No guarantees I would have performed any better, of course, but I was 8-1-1 using my settings prior to these games...

I wonder if you hadn't "copied all lines" for a while? In other words after ten games the settings would be default.....

And also - there is no lines file from you in the Files folder....????????

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
I wonder if you hadn't "copied all lines" for a while? In other words after ten games the settings would be default.....

And also - there is no lines file from you in the Files folder....????????

The files I loaded prior to going away were copied for 10 games' worth of action, but no worries. The losses just make the season's finish more exciting - and the inevitable victory of Columbus all the more gratifying! ;)

I posted the above too soon -- my windows partition is not meeting the security standards of my workplace, so I'll have to wait to get home to complete and upload the file.

Dryden

Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
I think I'm going to hop on GarageBand on my iPad 2 and make a song called "Dryden just knocked me out" as a tribute to LL Cool J

That's 6 points you'll never get back and 4 teams that owe me one.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
The race for the Eastern Conference title is definitely proving to be intriguing since neither myself, Montreal, or Pittsburgh can seem to lose right now.

The game between the Panthers and Canadiens on GD 145 should be damn interesting.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
I think I'm going to hop on GarageBand on my iPad 2 and make a song called "Dryden just knocked me out" as a tribute to LL Cool J

That's 6 points you'll never get back and 4 teams that owe me one.

... And when I run my lines as intended you lose 3-1, which is what it should be. (Still can't keep Pavelski off the scoresheet, though - that guy is kryptonite to this team!). The three losses were certainly regrettable, as it seems they should have been preventable had I not been traveling, and they've dumped me right back in the thick of things with the Sharks, Preds and Ducks. The next 9 games will be interesting, no doubt! Just my luck that after you, I now have to face the Blues and Avs. Tough sleddin'...

Last edited:

PasiK

Jun 11, 2007
Paimio, Finland
SJ sharks lost key defenseman Jeff Schultz for the rest of season. Jeff sprained his right finger and doctor judge him out for two month. Sharks GM was angry for Noah Welch whose tackle was gratuitous, Sean O´Donnell tried to punish Welch couple minutes later, but were beaten up.

Sharks are back fighting for last playoffs spots in west after beating Stars and Wild.

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
I'm hoping my relatively easy schedule helps me hold onto a playoff spot.

7 of my final 10 games are against teams with less points than I have right now. Even better, outside of the Sharks, the other 6 games are against teams at least 12 or more points back.

If I can't lock up a spot then I need :help:.

Karma FTW!!

I haven't won since I posted this and am now tied with the Sharks at 87 points for the last playoff spot in the West! :shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad