HFNHL Playoff Picture Thread

The old geezer

Feb 10, 2007
Blues, Avs, or Stars remains the question for the Wings last game of the regular season.

Assuming the standings page is currently wrong and that regulation wins will indeed be the first tie breaker the Wings sit 7th atm. Therefore the possible matchups occur under the following conditions:

8th spot (meet Blues) if Detroit loses in regulation and Jackets win.
6th spot (meet Stars) Detroit gets at least one more point than the Oilers in the final game.
7th spot (meet Avs) any other combination of outcomes other than the two above.

Regardless the opponent, this GM can't believe his fortune to even be in the play-offs. No matter the play-off outcome, even if swept, having made the play-offs will be it's own reward. That said, beware the underdog team with nothing to loose.

HFNHLOilers

Dec 13, 2008
Brampton
I helped the Canadians with the conferance and jackets make the playoffs by beating the ducks and panthers next challenge for the stars is building on the miricle run that almost saw us beat the canucks in the 2nd round

DiamondJoeQuimby

Jun 3, 2005
New York State
Congrats to all the teams in the West - the 8 playoff spots have been decided (even if the BJ's lose their last game I believe they win the tie-breaker...)... heartbreakers for the Ducks and Sharks...

Still 4 teams battling it out in the East.....

7 Rangers 81 26 37 6 2 6 4 82
8 Senators 81 27 33 1 6 5 9 81
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
9 Hurricanes 81 30 38 4 2 3 4 80
10 Flyers 80 24 36 5 3 6 6 79

The Flyers can still finish with 83 points... The Rangers just need a point in the last game to get in.

The Rangers and Canes have tough tough match-ups. The Rangers play the Avalanche. The Hurricanes play the Panthers and need the Senators to lose.

Senators have the Blackhawks - can Dryden play spoiler now that his dream of ending the Blue Jacket's playoff hunt failed?

The Flyers though - they only have the Wild and the Lightning. 2 of the three worst teams in the league. Any slip-ups by the teams above them and a couple wins will see the unlikeliest of scenarios.

The Sens control their own destiny. A win and a spot is clinched. I'm pretty sure that I will get it. These last 4 games are the best this team has looked all year. Took Pittsburgh to OT in a loss, even though I lost to St. Louis we had 39 shots against them and we've looked good in our 2 victories, they were not lucky wins.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
No offense to the Sens or Flyers, but this might have been THE WORST possible outcome for the Panthers.

Sure, I beat the Canes and took home the East for the first time.

However, I'm now faced with the task of beating the Sens in the first round, a team I was 0-2 against in the regular season.

Also, their first rounder now drops from the 8th overall to the 15th overall (which is a HUGE drop point for this year's crop).

And with the Flyers making the playoffs, their 2nd rounder now drops from like 38th overall to 46th overall.

Ville Isopaa

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
No offense to the Sens or Flyers, but this might have been THE WORST possible outcome for the Panthers.

Sure, I beat the Canes and took home the East for the first time.

However, I'm now faced with the task of beating the Sens in the first round, a team I was 0-2 against in the regular season.

Also, their first rounder now drops from the 8th overall to the 15th overall (which is a HUGE drop point for this year's crop).

And with the Flyers making the playoffs, their 2nd rounder now drops from like 38th overall to 46th overall.

By beating the Canes and with the Flyers also passing them, it means that the canes pick moves up to 7th overall (and the canes 2nd rounder to 37th overall). This means I have the 4th and 7th overall picks before the lottery. :yo:

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
By beating the Canes and with the Flyers also passing them, it means that the canes pick moves up to 7th overall (and the canes 2nd rounder to 37th overall). This means I have the 4th and 7th overall picks before the lottery. :yo:

I still seriously think that we should ban you from being allowed to get better. ;)

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Well, look on the bright side. I traded my first pick this year and finished with the 3rd worst record in the league.... meaning that Alvaro now has a chance to draft 1st overall and at worst 4th overall with my pick!

*grumble*

But due to my convoluted mathematical formula my 1st round pick, John Tavares, and Jimmy Howard netted me Brett Connolly, Dmitri Orlov, Calvin de Haan, Carter Ashton, Brian Dumoulin, Zac Hamil, two 5th round picks, Jiri Tlusty, and Antro Niittymaki. Still likely a net loss for me, but the chance for redemption still exists.

But I must say, my lack of patience has exposed me in several instances to the point that dealing future picks for immediate assets isn't going to be an option for a few years. My 1st round pick for next season is going to be stapled to my page.

I just hope that Jamie McBain, Brian Dumoulin, Calvin de Haan, and Dmitri Orlov represent a Top 4 for me at some day in the future and that Connolly and Ashton can be Top 6 forwards. If not, I have severely screwed my team over for the foreseeable future.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
If only my familiarity with Carolina prospects extended into other teams. I picked up McBain, Dalpe, and Dumoulin at times when their stock wasn't, relatively speaking, as high as it could have been. I attempted it again with Shugg and Levi, so we'll see how that works. Not saying the previous GMs didn't know their value. In most cases, I paid fairly for their services... but they're all looking like solid bets.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
If only my familiarity with Carolina prospects extended into other teams. I picked up McBain, Dalpe, and Dumoulin at times when their stock wasn't, relatively speaking, as high as it could have been. I attempted it again with Shugg and Levi, so we'll see how that works. Not saying the previous GMs didn't know their value. In most cases, I paid fairly for their services... but they're all looking like solid bets.

Too bad you didn't snag Justin Faulk around mid-November. He's certainly one Carolina prospect whose stock has skyrocketed since then, between the WJC, national championship and AHL playoffs.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Too bad you didn't snag Justin Faulk around mid-November. He's certainly one Carolina prospect whose stock has skyrocketed since then, between the WJC, national championship and AHL playoffs.

Oddly enough, I am not as high on Faulk as many of my other Hurricanes contemporaries. He reminds me of Joe Corvo in many ways both good and bad. I think he'll be an NHL regular, but I see Dumoulin as the guy with more realistic Top 4 upside.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad