HFNHL pending deals

HFNHL blogger

Jul 28, 2010
thehfnhlnews.blogspot.com
Word out of Winnipeg this afternoon is that the Jets have traded Drew Doughty and Marian Gaborik in two separate deals. It is expected that the Flyers have landed the young Doughty for a package of prospects, which could include the 3rd overall pick from this past summer draft Gabriel Landeskog as well as young defender Ryan Ellis.

Gaborik is expected to land in Carolina where the Hurricanes continue to try and stack the offensive side of the ice. Word is that the Hurricanes dealt a young forward and first round pick to acquire the talented scorer.

Other players that are currently being shopped around the league are Alex Semin, Ray Whitney, Pavel Datsyuk, Vinny Lecavalier, Matt Carle, and Ed Joanovski to name a few of the better guys that are currently being shopped.

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
Those are a couple of huge deals if true! It looks like the Hurricanes are serious about staying the best team in the HFNHL this season. And the Flyers finally got their young star defenseman to compliment the core forwards of Stamkos and Hall.

Fooladelfia

Nov 11, 2007
not true this blogger suck...Shut -up Eklund.....lol.....Ellis yes it's true.....

Word out of Winnipeg this afternoon is that the Jets have traded Drew Doughty and Marian Gaborik in two separate deals. It is expected that the Flyers have landed the young Doughty for a package of prospects, which could include the 3rd overall pick from this past summer draft Gabriel Landeskog as well as young defender Ryan Ellis. .

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
Rumour has the Panthers acquiring a big name top 6 forward in the vain of those listed above. However, the person Florida is acquiring is not one of those listed above. Follow? ;)

Looks like deal with Pittsburg or Tampa to me for either Brad Richard or Teemu

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
Rumour has the Panthers acquiring a big name top 6 forward in the vain of those listed above. However, the person Florida is acquiring is not one of those listed above. Follow? ;)

Looks like deal with Pittsburg or Tampa to me for either Brad Richard or Teemu

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
Two deals out of Carolina maybe. Looks like the Canes might have pulled the trigger on a deal with the Flames for Datsyuk and Berglund :yo:
How is Mr. Sundin, I mean Mr. Kershaw planning to pay for Datsyuk penalty since he just signed him for extension.

DiamondJoeQuimby

Jun 3, 2005
New York State
Both those trades are awful.

Andrei Kostitsyn, CAR 1st 2012, John McFarland, and Brooks Macek gets Gaborik?

Cody Franson, Nino Niederreiter, Ryan Ellis, Christian Engstrand gets Drew Doughty?

Those trades are so bad that I'm quitting as Ottawa GM effective immediately. I don't see any point in playing if deals like that are going through now.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002

Cody Franson, Nino Niederreiter, Ryan Ellis, Christian Engstrand gets Drew Doughty?

Those trades are so bad that I'm quitting as Ottawa GM effective immediately. I don't see any point in playing if deals like that are going through now.

so you are saying I get another crack at Kesler?

seriously, dont quit, still the best league in the world.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North

We've had a GM or two quit because their trades were rejected... We even had one guy quit because he failed to match offers to his key RFAs. But I think this would be the first time someone quit because of what happened in somebody *else's* trade. Interesting - over a decade in, this league can still surprise me!

Aside from the fact that both players had been mentioned in trade talks, giving all GMs an opportunity to bring their best deals forward, the deals themselves a) are by veteran GMs, who do get the benefit of the doubt, and b) don't seem that unreasonable to me.

Kostitsyn and two late firsts seems fairly reasonable for Gaborik who, although a star scorer, is both injury prone and an incomplete player in sim terms.

Franson, Niedereiter and Ellis for Doughty is a tough one, but those are two very early draft picks with high ceilings...

The thing to remember is that deals in the NHL aren't always balanced, and also that the winners aren't always immediately apparent - it can take some time, but the real results of a trade can take time to pan out.

Montreal's trade for Gomez was bad, but it's far worse now that we see just how bad Gomez has become, and how good McDonagh is becoming. Nobody could have predicted the Phaneuf trade going down at all. Nobody knew just how lopsided the Beauchemin trade would turn out for Gardiner and Lupul.

I bet other GMs in the NHL were pissed off at the Rangers or the Leafs in those deals. But it happens, and you deal with it and move on.

You don't take your puck and go home.

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
We've had a GM or two quit because their trades were rejected... We even had one guy quit because he failed to match offers to his key RFAs. But I think this would be the first time someone quit because of what happened in somebody *else's* trade. Interesting - over a decade in, this league can still surprise me!

Aside from the fact that both players had been mentioned in trade talks, giving all GMs an opportunity to bring their best deals forward, the deals themselves a) are by veteran GMs, who do get the benefit of the doubt, and b) don't seem that unreasonable to me.

Kostitsyn and two late firsts seems fairly reasonable for Gaborik who, although a star scorer, is both injury prone and an incomplete player in sim terms.

Franson, Niedereiter and Ellis for Doughty is a tough one, but those are two very early draft picks with high ceilings...

The thing to remember is that deals in the NHL aren't always balanced, and also that the winners aren't always immediately apparent - it can take some time, but the real results of a trade can take time to pan out.

Montreal's trade for Gomez was bad, but it's far worse now that we see just how bad Gomez has become, and how good McDonagh is becoming. Nobody could have predicted the Phaneuf trade going down at all. Nobody knew just how lopsided the Beauchemin trade would turn out for Gardiner and Lupul.

I bet other GMs in the NHL were pissed off at the Rangers or the Leafs in those deals. But it happens, and you deal with it and move on.

You don't take your puck and go home.

Don't forget the salary considerations when judging these trades either. Doughty is a $7M+ re-sign, which limits the team that can realistically make an offer.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Don't forget the salary considerations when judging these trades either. Doughty is a $7M+ re-sign, which limits the team that can realistically make an offer.

Yep, very few pure hockey deals in either league (NHL or HFNHL) any more, almost all have a significant business/cap aspect.

That said, I'd argue that of you can get a Doughty, you add him and sort out your cap and cash issues after.

More to the point, very few teams have the number of high quality young assets in han to fetch a Doughty in return. Say what you will about Alvaro's style, he'd managed to put together a collection of very early picks and prospects that let him out together an offer like this.

Toronto_AGM_Adil

Apr 9, 2006

This isn't the nhl, gm's are here for the long haul and subsequently trade with the long view in mind. Those are actually pretty decent trades.

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
Well I guess we're due for a little HFNHL controversy... just glad I'm not in the middle of it this time. ;)

I agree that these deals are pretty lopsided (not quite sure what the Jets are thinking), but not enough to quit the league over.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Well I guess we're due for a little HFNHL controversy... just glad I'm not in the middle of it this time. ;)

I agree that these deals are pretty lopsided (not quite sure what the Jets are thinking), but not enough to quit the league over.

Speaking as a GM (ie. not as DoPP), I think the difficulty with blockbuster trades where you sell off stars is that they always look a bit lopsided. It's very rare for a team to sell a top talent, whether they're in their prime or not, and get back a package where the general consensus is that the team getting the best player paid too much.

This is certainly true in the NHL. When the "selling" team ends up winning the trade, it's usually because the young players acquired in return exceed their projected potential. I'm thinking of the Yashin trade where nobody anticipated Chara becoming what he is now. If you take the Kovalchuk, Bure, Phaneuf, Pronger or Thornton trades, the package was lukewarm at best.

But if you're in a position where for salary or depth or planning reasons it's the right move to deal those stars, then you just try to do the best you can. The Thrashers/Jets franchise in the HFNHL and NHL have both proven that having a couple of star players can't make a team of 20 players win on their own, so you have to build depth one way or another.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad