HFNHL Opening Round Free Agency Results

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
I noticed another mistake Kyle Lawson is one of my Top priority hes number one on a seperate list not sure why he got classified as a number two

He is probably #2 for Vancouver. If Vancouver wins other lottery, you get him. If not, second round of bidding for Dallas and Vancouver.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
What happend to this Ladd guy?

T"here was also a few players that received offers but will hold out for more after the opening phase of FA is finished. The best offers received are listed below."

I thought Ladd would wait until this opening phase was over and see what other offers he would get or was that 2.8 offer missed earlier? Oh, well now that I miss out on Niemi its time to go chasing someone else :)

The NYI offer was missed.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
He is probably #2 for Vancouver. If Vancouver wins other lottery, you get him. If not, second round of bidding for Dallas and Vancouver.

That's exactly it (but not for this particular bid) - Jeff's keeping the group together. See his note below.

My advice to the teams in that list (re-quoted below) is that you treat these like any other 2nd round bid - and increase your offers if you feel it's worth it -

Ilari Filppula - $1,600,000 x 4 NYI, TBL
Niklas Persson - $1,500,000 x 4 DET, NYI, SJS, TBL
Evgeni Skachkov - $1,200,000 x 3 DET, MTL
Kyle Lawson - $750,000 x 2 DAL, VAN
Tony DeHart - $550,000 x 3 NJD, PHX

Last edited:

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
I noticed another mistake Kyle Lawson is one of my Top priority hes number one on a seperate list not sure why he got classified as a number two

He hasn't been listed as a #2 for either of you, his signing isn't contingent on any of the lotteries, it's just easier to save all the 2nd round UDFA players until after the lottery is done as some of them may change.

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
I've had a few people ask about this now...

Right now we're only taking 2nd round offers on the listed players/teams in this thread. After all these have been resolved we will then go to Phase 2 of FA and start the process all over again with the remaining unsigned players.

So for now, offers on these guys only, others will come later.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Question...as I'm a little bit confused...

The Islanders have RFA offer sheets out to both Matt Moulson and Andrew Ladd with a 2nd round pick as compensation. How is this possible?

I thought all RFA compensation had to be paid with your own draft picks...UNLESS you didn't have your own draft pick in that round, in that case you could use one from another team that you held possession of.

In this case, the Islanders have two 2nd round picks, but how would it be decided who gets which draft pick if both Josh and I fail to match the offers? I was under the impression that in this case, you couldn't bid on two RFA's that require the same compensation for this reason.

Dryden

Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
Wouldn't it be in order of finish. lower of Hasnain's picks goes to the lower of the two teams.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
In the NHL, you're right - you have to use your own. In the HFNHL, you can use any picks you have to hand, which is how this scenario comes up -- if Hasnain had 8 2nd round picks he could have made $3 million offers to 8 different RFAs. You're right, though, that the wrinkle is in determining who gets what pick. Dryden's suggestion isn't bad - are there others?

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I like Dryden's idea, but I also like the idea of the team that loses the player offered the most money get the better pick.

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
I like Dryden's idea, but I also like the idea of the team that loses the player offered the most money get the better pick.

This is my thoughts as well. The team who's player received the higher offer get's first dibs on the picks.

Moulson was also "higher" on Hasnains list so we could use that as order of offers receved as well.

Dryden

Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
What about whomever finishes higher in the standings gets the higher pick. Worse record you get the better pick. So the two 2nd's he has now obviously can't be traded.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
In the NHL, you're right - you have to use your own. In the HFNHL, you can use any picks you have to hand, which is how this scenario comes up -- if Hasnain had 8 2nd round picks he could have made $3 million offers to 8 different RFAs. You're right, though, that the wrinkle is in determining who gets what pick. Dryden's suggestion isn't bad - are there others?

Here's my problem with that though. It sets a dangerous and complicated precedent.

What happens if only one person matches? Then they get his actual pick? Hypothetically speaking, what if I was only NOT going to match if I got Washington's pick because it's likely to be a mid 2nd and not a late 2nd? Then I'd have to wait until Josh matched in order to find out if that was indeed the pick I got. Well what if Josh matched at 11:59 of the deadline, leaving me no time to decide. It would be like a game of cat and mouse.

If we allow this, in the future we'll have a situation of teams trying to decide which draft picks they get from a team, instead of making it cut and dry.

Obviously it's too late this year to put in place some sort of rule, but in the future, I think it only makes sense to change the RFA compensation to only being your own draft pick. Or at the very LEAST, change it so teams can only put ONE bid in per compensation level. The reason the NHL has a rule in place like this is obviously to prevent a confusing situation like we have currently. It only makes sense that we would follow them in this like we do with every other rule.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
I think in the past the reason we went with this rule was to encourage more RFA activity. But I'd be open to adopting the strict NHL rule, in keeping wiht our overall approach.

HFNHL Commish

Feb 28, 2002
Well, for now, the discussion over who would get what 2nd is a moot point, because...

For violating the 80-man roster threshold during the first round of bidding, the New York Islanders have been removed from the second round of bidding on any UFAs, as well as any opening round lottery draws on UDFAs for which the team would have been eligible. In addition, the team will be forced to withdraw one of its two offer sheets to RFAs Andrew Ladd and Matt Moulson. Should the team manage to clear roster space in the coming days, it will be eligible to participate in Phase Two of free agency.

If anyone was unclear as to whether or not we're counting players, here's your answer.

HFNHLOilers

Dec 13, 2008
Brampton
For violating the 80-man roster threshold during the first round of bidding, the New York Islanders have been removed from the second round of bidding on any UFAs, as well as any opening round lottery draws on UDFAs for which the team would have been eligible. In addition, the team will be forced to withdraw one of its two offer sheets to RFAs Andrew Ladd and Matt Moulson. Should the team manage to clear roster space in the coming days, it will be eligible to participate in Phase Two of free agency.

Yikes for NYI they just completed a trade to move 10players out only to get the boot

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site

Lawson was behind two players who signed max offers (which I did not offer), therefore if Dallas already had Lawson as a #1 priority, the lotteries have no bearing on him. He has already slid up to #1 on my priority.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Lawson was behind two players who signed max offers (which I did not offer), therefore if Dallas already had Lawson as a #1 priority, the lotteries have no bearing on him. He has already slid up to #1 on my priority.

Keogh. Go back to polishing your Stanley Cup.

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
Have I understood it correctly that no penalty will be given as long as Islanders mange to trade some players so his roster limit is under 80?

This is from the Commish a few posts up...

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
Because the Islanders have been penalized with the removal of all UDFA lottery bids and 2nd round offers on UFA/UDFA players there were a number of updates made to the main post. These updates have resulted in a few changes to signings and lotteries, here are the changes being made below.

RFA
Andrew Ladd - his offer sheet has been revoked so now he goes back to being unsigned. His remaining offer of $2,000,000 is yet again deemed to be too low to sign and he will take offers during Phase 2 of FA.

UFA 2nd Round Players
Andreas Lilja - $1,000,000 x 4 BUF, FLA, TOR, VAN

UDFA Signed Players
Ilari Filppula - $1,560,000 x 4 TBL
Mattias Olimb - $900,00 x 1 STL
David Dziurzynski - $900,000 x 3 DET
Eric Selleck - $900,000 x 2 CBS

UDFA 2nd Round Players
Niklas Persson - $1,500,000 x 4 DET, SJS, TBL

UDFA Lotteries
Casey Wellman - $900,000 x 2 ANA, CGY, CAR, CHI, COL, CBS, DET, EDM, FLA, LAK, MTL, NSH, NYR, PHI, SJS, STL, VAN
Ben Scrivens - $900,000 x 1 ANA, CGY, COL, CBS, DET, EDM, LAK, NJD, NYR, SJS, STL, VAN
Erik Gustafson - $900,000 x 3 ANA, CGY, CHI, COL, CBS, DET, EDM, FLA, LAK, MTL, NJD, NYR, PHI, SJS, STL, TBL, VAN, WSH
Bobby Butler - $900,000 x 2 ANA, CGY, CAR, CHI, COL, CBS, EDM, FLA, LAK, NYR, PHX, SJS, STL, VAN, WSH
James Marcou - $900,000 x 2 CAR, CBS, NYR, PHI
Jarod Palmer - $900,000 x 1 ANA, CGY, CHI, CBS, DET, FLA, LAK, NYR, PHI, VAN, WSH
Mike Testwuide - $900,000 x 2 ANA, CGY, CHI, CBS, EDM, MTL, NYR, SJS
Jussi Rynnas - $900,000 x 2 ANA, CGY, CAR, COL, CBS, DET, EDM, LAK, MTL, NJD, SJS, STL, TBL, VAN, WSH
Chris Tanev - $900,000 x 3 ANA, CGY, DET, EDM, FLA, MTL, NSH, PIT, SJS
Mark Olver - $900,000 x 2 ANA, CGY, MTL, VAN
Nate Prosser - $900,000 x 1 ANA, CGY, COL, CBS, DAL, DET, FLA, SJS, VAN
Cameron Talbot - $900,000 x 2 CGY, CHI, LAK, SJS
Cam MacIntyre - $900,000 x 1 ANA, CAR, CHI, CBS, MTL, NYR, VAN
Nikita Niktin - $900,000 x 1 COL, NTL, PHI, WSH
Linus Klasen - $900,000 x 1 ANA, PHI, TBL, VAN
Matt Irwin - $900,000 x 2 MTL, SJS
Hunter Bishop - $900,000 x 2 CHI, DET, VAN

Last edited:

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Erik Selleck - $900,000 x 2 CBS

Having signed Eric-with-a-c (call me Tom) Selleck, the Columbus Blue Jackets withdraw from the second round of bidding on Kyle Greentree. That leaves Pittsburgh the only bidder for Greentree's services. Enjoy, Robb!

(If I'm not technically permitted to withdraw, I'll simply reiterate my previous bid and let the chips fall where they may.)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad