HFNHL 2010 Entry Draft

Default101

Just Curious. When is the draft. The NHL draft is the 25th/26th

So would that make ours Saturday June 19th? With the 4th-7th Round being announced Thursday June 24th?

If Brock needs any help with this I can contribute as the Entry Draft i guess could be somewhat of a specialty and i'd like to get involved a little extra if possible.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Tradition would dictate it is on the 19th of June at 10:00AM EST (Rounds 1-3). The Commish will confirm, but I believe this has already been discussed. Not sure on the later rounds - that sounds about right.

HFNHL Commish

Feb 28, 2002
The Draft will indeed be held on Saturday, June 19th beginning at 10 AM EST (GMT -5). Lists for Rounds 4-7 will most likely be due in by midnight on Thursday, June 24th.

Details will be sorted out in the days to come. The last two years, it's been my intent to handle Rounds 4-7...then I've decided my concussed brain can't handle the organizational task fast enough and I've passed the job off to Brock's willing hands. Considering I bashed my brain yet again the other day, and that I now have an additional set of willing hands in Ryan, I think I'm just going to elect to punt from the get-go. :)

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
The Draft will indeed be held on Saturday, June 19th beginning at 10 AM EST (GMT -5). Lists for Rounds 4-7 will most likely be due in by midnight on Thursday, June 24th.

Details will be sorted out in the days to come. The last two years, it's been my intent to handle Rounds 4-7...then I've decided my concussed brain can't handle the organizational task fast enough and I've passed the job off to Brock's willing hands. Considering I bashed my brain yet again the other day, and that I now have an additional set of willing hands in Ryan, I think I'm just going to elect to punt from the get-go. :)

Again? I think it may be time to invest on one of these helmets, Matt:

Dark-Helmet.jpg

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I'm not sure. I'm mainly curious about the tiebreakers. Particularly the NYR/DET one.

Eyeballing it, I'd say the Rangers win the tie breaker (meaning they are higher ranked), because of their better record in regulation. I believe the NHL uses that as the next tiebreaker if wins are the same. This of course, would mean the Wings are a spot lower, and actually draft ahead of the Rangers. This should obviously be confirmed, as perhaps there is another tie breaker that comes before this, but after points and wins.

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
Eyeballing it, I'd say the Rangers win the tie breaker (meaning they are higher ranked), because of their better record in regulation. I believe the NHL uses that as the next tiebreaker if wins are the same. This of course, would mean the Wings are a spot lower, and actually draft ahead of the Rangers. This should obviously be confirmed, as perhaps there is another tie breaker that comes before this, but after points and wins.

This is what I was wondering. In all the more obvious tie breakers, the sim has it correct and they have the Rangers at #18 and the Wings at #19. Hopefully someone can provide a definitive answer. Not really a huge deal, but if I discuss trades (which apparently some teams are doing now), it would be good to know what # that pick is. I'm already cringing at the thought of Drew snagging whoever I'm looking at for that pick on draft day if I keep the choice. :)

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
The Draft will indeed be held on Saturday, June 19th beginning at 7 AM PST

Early Early for us West Coasters. I'm gonna miss some traditions again this year, like those of years past which included making Robb breakfast with a rainstorm pouring in on us mid-way through the draft..

Considering I bashed my brain yet again the other day, and that I now have an additional set of willing hands in Ryan, I think I'm just going to elect to punt from the get-go. :)

Thanks Ryan for stepping up! And take it easy on the noggin Matt!

SPG said:
I'm not sure. I'm mainly curious about the tiebreakers. Particularly the NYR/DET one.

Here is the NHL tiebreaker rules.

attachment.php

From what I see the Wings (47) won more games (including OT & SO), so the Rangers (45) actually pick first.

Last edited:

HFNHL Canadiens

Aug 12, 2004
Guelph
This is what I was wondering. In all the more obvious tie breakers, the sim has it correct and they have the Rangers at #18 and the Wings at #19. Hopefully someone can provide a definitive answer. Not really a huge deal, but if I discuss trades (which apparently some teams are doing now), it would be good to know what # that pick is. I'm already cringing at the thought of Drew snagging whoever I'm looking at for that pick on draft day if I keep the choice. :)

Don't worry, Drew's pick is in good hands.

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
Early Early for us West Coasters. I'm gonna miss some traditions again this year, like those of years past which included making Robb breakfast with a rainstorm pouring in on us mid-way through the draft..

Thanks Ryan for stepping up! And take it easy on the noggin Matt!

Here is the NHL tiebreaker rules.

attachment.php

From what I see the Wings (47) won more games (including OT & SO), so the Rangers (45) actually pick first.

Thanks. I believe that settles it. Even if you jump down to tiebreaker #3, Rangers should pick first. Wings won both games against the Rangers this season (one in SO)

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Is the draft order all set except for the final spot which goes to the cup champion? Or is the final four picks that go to all the conference finalists?

Final four....from the rulebook:

Beginning in 2007, the final four teams that make it to the Conference Finals
will get the final four picks in the draft order, regardless of where they
finished in the regular season. The Cup champion will pick 30th, the other
finalist 29th and the two losers from Conference Championships will pick 28th
and 27th. Whichever of those two teams finished lower in the regular season
standings will get the 27th pick.

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
Final four....from the rulebook:

If we go by the NHL rules (which I believe we do), it's

* 1-14: non-playoff teams
* non-division winning playoff teams (excluding teams that make conf. finals)
* division winning teams (excluding teams that make conf. finals)
* 27-28: conference final runners up seeded by regular season results
* 29: cup runner up
* 30: cup champion

EDIT: After looking it over, the division winners seeding won't really apply to us this season as all 6 division winners were the 1-6 best teams in the league.

Last edited:

Default101

Well the good news is in terms of midnight ET submission of lists on the Thursday, I start work at 11:30PM that night, so i would probably be done all my paperwork by 12:30AM or so, and could get right to work on the 4-7 list so it could likely be done that morning as long as everything was explained to me, but thats still a while away, thats assuming the league wants to put that particular task in my hands. Just throwing ideas out there :)

Default101

If we go by the NHL rules (which I believe we do), it's

* 1-14: non-playoff teams
* non-division winning playoff teams (excluding teams that make conf. finals)
* division winning teams (excluding teams that make conf. finals)
* 27-28: conference final runners up seeded by regular season results
* 29: cup runner up
* 30: cup champion

EDIT: After looking it over, the division winners seeding won't really apply to us this season as all 6 division winners were the 1-6 best teams in the league.

1. Philadelphia
2. Atlanta
3. Philadelphia (from Carolina)
4. Montreal
5. Minnesota
6. Los Angeles
7. Chicago
8. Phoenix
9. San Jose (from Washington)
10. Edmonton
11. Philadelphia (from Tampa Bay)
12. Pittsburgh
13. Colorado
14. Nashville
15. Toronto
16. Dallas**
17. Colorado (from St. Louis)
18. NY Rangers
19. Montreal (from Detroit)
20. New Jersey
21. Ottawa
22. Ottawa (from Calgary**)
23. Toronto (from San Jose)
24. Boston**
25. Columbus**
26. Florida**
27. Vancouver**
28. Anaheim
29. Carolina (from Buffalo**)
30. New Jersey (from NY Islanders**)

**- Denotes still active and can move down depending on performance.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Well the good news is in terms of midnight ET submission of lists on the Thursday, I start work at 11:30PM that night, so i would probably be done all my paperwork by 12:30AM or so, and could get right to work on the 4-7 list so it could likely be done that morning as long as everything was explained to me, but thats still a while away, thats assuming the league wants to put that particular task in my hands. Just throwing ideas out there :)

What I'm going to say is this...

For rounds 4-7, I don't require any help. This is a task that has to be done by one person. It can't be split up because of consistency. It's just easier if I do that entire part. I've gotten fairly good at it now and can actually get all of it done within a like 3-4 hour stretch.

For the live draft, Matt has still been doing that, with my assistance to track as well (things like CSS list, recording, etc). If he requires any help there, I think that's where you'd come in.

HFNHL Commish

Feb 28, 2002
Yeah, Rounds 4-7 really need to be done by one person (or by two people who can arrange to work together simultaneously). About an hour per round is what it takes if you get on a roll, but a lot of that depends on the quality of the formatting of everyone's lists...

Nothing sucks worse than getting to the end of the 6th round and realizing you skipped someone on somebody's list. Funny part about that, though, is sometimes it results in little or no changes.

Default101

Updated to reflect the Conference Finals

1. Philadelphia
2. Atlanta
3. Philadelphia (from Carolina)
4. Montreal
5. Minnesota
6. Los Angeles
7. Chicago
8. Phoenix
9. San Jose (from Washington)
10. Edmonton
11. Philadelphia (from Tampa Bay)
12. Pittsburgh
13. Colorado
14. Nashville
15. Toronto
16. Dallas
17. Colorado (from St. Louis)
18. NY Rangers
19. Montreal (from Detroit)
20. New Jersey
21. Ottawa
22. Toronto (from San Jose)
23. Columbus
24. Anaheim
25. Carolina (from Buffalo)
26. New Jersey (from NY Islanders)
27. Ottawa (from Calgary)
28. Boston
29. Florida**
30. Vancouver**

Last edited by a moderator:

Default101

if anyone can PM me the trades that are unofficially official, i'm starting to work on my mock draft for the HFNHL and it would really help me out in making this as accurate as I can. Thanks.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
An up to date draft order has been posted to the yahoo group in the 2010 Entry Draft folder.

Double check to make sure everything is correct for your team.

By the way, Ryan your mock draft order is incorrect, you have the 7th pick and Montreal is behind you in the order.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad