HFLV Poster Introductions

Jett Jagaar

Finally!
Nov 15, 2013
Name: Dave (@DaveRymer on Twitter. May not be my real name)
Where are you from/hometown?: Canada
Season Ticket Section (if applicable): P6 but locked in long term and put our deposit down on day 1. Hoping for a dam good seat selection.
Favorite Team (assuming Vegas wasn't around): Edmonton Oilers
Vegas' Position on the favorite team scale: I will always be an Oilers fan but I can see Las Vegas moving into my top spot. Maybe not immediately but once the team is established and has some history, ya.
How did you get into hockey: Did I mention I'm Canadian?
Favorite Hockey Possession: I still have a ticket stub from the winning game when the Oilers won their third cup. I also have a bunch of Oiler rookie cards from the 80's including a Gretzky. Mine aren't in great condition though so probably not worth $400,000.
Favorite Music: EBM, Synth. VNV Nation? Anyone?
How did you pick your name: I am a huge MST3K fan and Jet Jagaar is from one of their best episodes.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
25 of us have introduced ourselves, so I thought I'd reply to all fellow HfVegas posters.

BattleBorn: Hey Dude, I love Big Buff as well. As a Hawks fan from near Chicago, what have you been thinking about all the "Hawks" for Vegas name talk?

KenSinBin: Is Flamingo really a name of a neighbourhood/part of Vegas?

sabresfan65: Buffalo is your top team, so who on the Sabres would you like to see in Vegas, your self-proclaimed "1B" team?

Puckstop40: C'mon Jared, fess up, you're a Californian boy at UNLV in part because you watched CSI growing up.;) And, one wonders, if Colorado and now Vegas are your top-2 teams, then how do you feel about your native Californian trio of teams?

The Duck Knight: You explain how your username defines your NHL priorities. Will you change your username at HfBoards if a "Knight" themed nickname isn't adopted?

Zalapshot: First of all, why the heck is Zarley Zalapski your fav player and username tribute? Second, are you really a member of an onsite broadcast crew?

...okay, gotta suddenly go, will finish another day. G'day.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I made the joke that I wouldn't have to change much of anything when it came to participating in fan chants or tweeting game commentary. As a fan, I didn't mind much.

As a guy that really hopes for my new favorite team to have as much success as possible and as a businessperson with a real interest in marketing and branding, I freaking hated the idea.

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas

sabresfan65: Buffalo is your top team, so who on the Sabres would you like to see in Vegas, your self-proclaimed "1B" team?

Good question. Due to the high number of exept players, there isn't a great deal of people available.

If the Sabres go 7/3/1, it will leave the following available:

Matt Moulson 33 with 2 years remaining at $5 million
Brian Gionta 38 UFA
Nicolas Deslauriers 26 with 1 year $775,000 then UFA
William Carrier 23 with 1 year $681,000 then RFA

Dmitry Kulikov 26 UFA
Josh Gorges 32 with 1 year $3.9 million

Linus Ullmark 24 RFA

Plus a few options which are too insignificant to talk about.

If they decide to go 8/1, that will open up the choices to the above minus Dmitry Kulikov and will put 3 of these 5 up for grabs as well:

Evander Kane 26 with 1 year $5.25 million
Tyler Ennis 27 with 2 years $4.6 million
Marcus Foligno 26 RFA
Johan Larsson 25 RFA
Zemgus Girgensons 23 Currently RFA

If they go 7/3/1, Kulikov is the best choice if Vegas can get him to sign. If not, then going with William Carrier (middle 6 upside winger) or Linus Ullmark (young upside potential starting goalie) would be the other best choices.

If they go 8/1, whichever of the 3 of 5 that aren't protected from the above list.
Not sure Kane will have the character the Vegas management wants but he would be the most talented player available. Second would probably be Tyler Ennis depending on how he bounces back this year from his season ending concussion last year. Girgensons is the next most talented. He is a all around glue guy and unless he falls of a cliff this season, I doubt you would see him exposed. Next would be Larsson and Foligno.

My guess would be Kane or Ennis, depending on availability followed by Larsson or Foligno depending on if you want a young 3/4 defensive center or a young 3/4 power winger.

The third possibility with a 7/3/1 would be a trade to take Matt Moulson, the Sabres could offer a couple of picks/prospects for them to take the last 2 years of Matt Moulson. Since the best pick under the 7/3/1 is an UFA, I can see Buffalo being one of the teams they would take a package to take a "bad" but not horrible contract (only 2 years) especially if Moulson has a little bit of a bounce back year this year. The people availible on an 8/1 protection list are too good to make a trade like this viable for Las Vegas.

My guess: Matt Moulson plus pick and prospects
2nd Choice : Evander Kane or Tyler Ennis

LetsGetThis

Sep 30, 2013
Did you go to Thunder/Wrangler Games?: I went to one Wrangler game. They were in the conference finals while I was on a trip out there.
Where are you from/hometown?: Chesapeake,Oh
Season Ticket Section (if applicable): N/A
Favorite Team (assuming Vegas wasn't around): Preds
Vegas' Position on the favorite team scale: #2
How did you get into hockey: Minor league team in WV sucked me in 20 years ago
Favorite Player(s): Roman Josi
Favorite Hockey Possession (Pucks, Sweaters, Autographs): Patrick Roy signed jersey
Favorite Music: Something upbeat. Slow stuff puts me to sleep
Favorite Movies: Grease and Mystery, Alaska
How did you pick your name: Everything else I'd normally use was taken

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
25 of us have introduced ourselves, so I thought I'd reply to all fellow HfVegas posters.

[

The Duck Knight: You explain how your username defines your NHL priorities. Will you change your username at HfBoards if a "Knight" themed nickname isn't adopted?

Depends what the name ends up being, but I'll have to wait a year if I do. Still holding out hope for something Knights related.

Last edited:

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Diverse and cool group, hope everyone is having an OKAY Monday..

Name: Troy
Where are you from/hometown?: Orlando, FL
Favorite Team: Pittsburgh Penguins
Vegas' Position on the favorite team scale: There can only be one, but I'll follow the franchise as much as I can. There's a real possibility that I'll land a job in Vegas.
How did you get into hockey: My family lived in Pittsburgh during the active 66 years and I was in a Penguins sweater before I knew about life.
Favorite Player(s): Sid and Mario - both on and off the ice. They're tied for first, tied for second would be Geno and Hornqvist.
Favorite Hockey Possession: Have a personal note from Mario given to my dad when I was in diapers with some well-wishes to my future. It's signed and in a frame.
Favorite Music: Rise Against or 30 Seconds to Mars
Favorite Movies: "Too soon, Junior."
How did you pick your name: I hate politics and would rather not get into them, but to say I'm an avid supporter of the rights of citizens being able to arm themselves would be the most proper way of putting things...

Puckstop40

Aug 23, 2009
Las Vegas, NV

BattleBorn: Hey Dude, I love Big Buff as well. As a Hawks fan from near Chicago, what have you been thinking about all the "Hawks" for Vegas name talk?

KenSinBin: Is Flamingo really a name of a neighbourhood/part of Vegas?

Puckstop40: C'mon Jared, fess up, you're a Californian boy at UNLV in part because you watched CSI growing up.;) And, one wonders, if Colorado and now Vegas are your top-2 teams, then how do you feel about your native Californian trio of teams?

Zalapshot: First of all, why the heck is Zarley Zalapski your fav player and username tribute? Second, are you really a member of an onsite broadcast crew?

...okay, gotta suddenly go, will finish another day. G'day.

:laugh: Actually I have never watched CSI before but after researching IMDB for a bit, I see why you posted that.

I actually have the Ducks as 2a/2b tandem with Vegas. Growing up in Southern California, I have been involved with the Ducks hockey programs for many years and played for the Jr. Ducks AA hockey teams team for quite some time. I will always have a soft spot for them because without the Ducks, I probably would have never played hockey.

I absolutely despise the Kings. I used to be indifferent towards them, but with the recent success they have had with winning 2 Cups, their fan base has gotten pretty bad. I lost a lot of respect for the fan base when I went to Frozen Fury last year. I have no problem with hazing and jesting until it goes to the extreme, and it was overboard for a meaningless pre season game. Same thing happened when I went to Staples for the regular season game in January.

I am indifferent about the Sharks. I like a lot of players on their team and have had a good experiences with the fan base.

sparkychewbarky

Jan 27, 2012
Name: Jim
How long have you been in town: Try to get down twice a year
Where are you from/hometown?: Campbell's Cross, Ontario
Favorite Team (assuming Vegas wasn't around): Leafs
Vegas' Position on the favorite team scale: Got a soft spot for the Wings also, so Vegas will be #3 for me...#1 in the west!!
How did you get into hockey: grew up in the country, 1/4 mile away from the public school outdoor rink.
Saturday, in the winter would be...get up and watch cartoons...grab something to eat...go play shinny 'til feet were frozen...hobble home crying...warm bath, hot supper...fall asleep watching "Hockey Night".
Favorite Player(s): as a kid...Wendell Clark...Joe Sakic...today, I love watching McDavid.
Favorite Hockey Possession (Pucks, Sweaters, Autographs): Don Cherry autographed cap and books...Yzerman Team Canada bobblehead
Favourite Music: AC/DC ... The Mavericks... Mark Knopfler movie soundtracks w/ a good scotch.
Favorite Movies: Local Hero... Slapshot... Return of the Jedi
How did you pick your name: "sparky chewbarky" is a hockey-playing beaver character in a kids book that I've been working on...(for about 10 years now :laugh:)

Last edited:

WickedAxiom

LRossi
Dec 11, 2015
Name: Lauren
Location: Ann Arbor, MI or Melbourne, or somewhere else around Michigan
If you're in Vegas, where?: n/a
How long have you been in town:never
Did you go to Thunder/Wrangler Games?: n/a
Where are you from/hometown?: Melbourne, AU
Season Ticket Section (if applicable):n/a
Favorite Team (assuming Vegas wasn't around):n/a
Vegas' Position on the favorite team scale: Favorite
How did you get into hockey: Went to a game at Yost Ice Arena.
Favorite Player(s): Kyle Connor
Favorite Hockey Possession (Pucks, Sweaters, Autographs): No hockey possessions/just getting into sport.
Favorite Music: Heaps of stuff, mainly pop/rock I suppose
Favorite Movies: Can't really think of one
How did you pick your name:First initial, portion of last name.

GKG18

Expansion Fan
Jun 25, 2016
Hendertucky

Zalapski isn't really my favorite player, just love that name.
I am a freelance broadcast technician by trade and I live in Hendertucky, so instead of traveling all over the place to to work, I can finally have a home show.

MrLouniverse

frontline internet hero
Sep 19, 2012
(Las) Vegas
Name: Will
If you're in Vegas, where?: Summerlin
How long have you been in town: Lived here for about 2 years after college, wandered around the coastal cities for a bit, closing on my first overpriced house in a cold market in Summerlin next month!
Did you go to Thunder/Wrangler Games?: Caught a few Wrangler games at the Orleans, still have my laughable but nostalgic blank K1 jersey.
Where are you from/hometown?: I've lived my adult life in either LA, Vegas and NY but I was b&r in Connecticut.
Season Ticket Section (if applicable): P2
Favorite Team (assuming Vegas wasn't around): WE'RE THE DEVILS! THE DEVILS!
Vegas' Position on the favorite team scale: 2
How did you get into hockey: Played as a kid (absurdly with 2 current NHLers I went to different schools with, albeit didn't play on a team with one of them, I did help him pass chemistry, haha) until I aged out of pee-wee/got assigned to the Freshman/Thirds team in high school and admitted I just really didn't have the hands to hack it. My late dad also had amazing tickets to the Devils (S122R9 at BB/CAA, S19R9 @ Prudential for anyone familiar,) my whole childhood and we went to 25-30 regular season games before I went to boarding school + all of the playoffs every year in all of NJ's quasi-dynasty years. So, yeah, I was too blessed to ever really make a choice; I've always known this was the greatest game on earth.
Favorite Player(s): Marrrrttttyyyyssss bettter. (Scott Stevens is a close #2) Currently, my homer vote goes to Henrique because I love the guy even though Cory carries the team. Jagr will always be top troll and *the* living legend, and I'm rather fond of Ovi (for a divisional player,) too. Shea Weber is definitely up there too.
Favorite Hockey Possession (Pucks, Sweaters, Autographs): Probably in order, my old KOHO Elias sweater signed by almost the entire 2003 cup team, our tickets from R4G4 and R4G7 from 95 and 03 (respectively,) a piece of the net from Marty's 551, and even though it's indistinguishable from any game puck, the puck Ray Bourque tossed me from the box as a kid.
Favorite Music: Classic/Album-based Rock, nostalgic 90s grunge/pop-rock/rap, EDM (live, anyway.)
Favorite Movies: Anything with John Cleese, Blow, The Big Lebowski (RIP), Happy Gilmore, Caddyshack, Cool Hand Luke... gonna wrap this up; who doesn't like movies?
How did you pick your name: I think I just typed the first thing the came to mind but can't really remember; the thought process had to be roughly Lou is a god damned legend who built the Devils and is the most responsible for the cups even though Marty/The Scotts won them, thought it sounded kind of clever at the time, who knows?

I've typed too much... I realize that, but it's done now, haha. The scene in my room would be a much more accurate "above the influence" PSA. "Harmless? Marijuana is the number one cause of eating skittles for dinner and ranting on the internet when you have things you really should be doing instead... not even once."

ronthemailman

Oct 23, 2016
Las Vegas
Name: Ron Murphy
If you're in Vegas, where?: Aliante
How long have you been in town: 24 years total
Did you go to Thunder/Wrangler Games?: Wrangler
Where are you from/hometown?: San Francisco
Season Ticket Section (if applicable): P6
Favorite Team (assuming Vegas wasn't around): San Jose Sharks
Vegas' Position on the favorite team scale: #1
How did you get into hockey: San Francisco Seals (WHL) in the 60's..then California Golden Seals (one of the faithful few)
Favorite Player(s): more team interested..nobody stands out
Favorite Hockey Possession (Pucks, Sweaters, Autographs): Seals Jersey
Favorite Music: Alan Parsons Project..orchestrated rock (ELO)
Favorite Movies: Big fan of 1940-1955 comedies (Cary Grant..Thin Man)
How did you pick your name:It's what I am

Puckrobber

Backup Netminder
Feb 28, 2016
Central Oklahoma
Name: Rob
If you're in Vegas, where?: N/A
How long have you been in town: N/A
Did you go to Thunder/Wrangler Games?: Nope
Where are you from/hometown?: Port Angeles, WA (Lived in Tucson, AZ for the last 3 years enjoying the Coyotes.)
Season Ticket Section (if applicable): N/A
Favorite Team (assuming Vegas wasn't around): Los Angeles Kings
Vegas' Position on the favorite team scale: 1A (Been a Kings fan for many years, but, glad to have a team in L.V. to root for as well.
How did you get into hockey: Used to see Canucks games on local TV quite often as a kid. Got really into it after the Kings '93 run to the Cup. (Damn Canadiens!)
Favorite Player(s): "Captain" Kirk McLean, Eddie "The Eagle" Belfour
Favorite Hockey Possession (Pucks, Sweaters, Autographs): Just have a few different sweaters/jerseys.
Favorite Music: Hard rock/heavy metal, mostly, but also enjoy stuff from Enya, Bruce Hornsby, Melissa Etheridge, and various jazz music. No rap or hip-hop, thanks. :yo:
Favorite Movies: "The Natural", "Star Wars", horror movies
How did you pick your name: Being a "Rob", I figured being a robber of some sort was appropriate. Plus, the goalie is my favorite hockey player, so, I'm a "Puckrobber". :D

And also, a special "hello & welcome!" to the ladies who are venturing onto the VGK boards as fans. Glad to have you here. Enjoy yourselves!

Last edited:

Ginormousthumbs

Jul 7, 2013
West Side
I'll play along

Name:Manny
If you're in Vegas, where?:Aliante
How long have you been in town:25 years
Did you go to Thunder/Wrangler Games?:Wranglers. During the 04-05 season I missed maybe 2 home games.
Where are you from/hometown?:Lorain,Ohio
Season Ticket Section (if applicable):Nope
Favorite Team (assuming Vegas wasn't around):Pittsburgh Penguins
Vegas' Position on the favorite team scale:Pittsburgh Penguins
How did you get into hockey:1980 Winter Olympics
Favorite Player(s):Mario Lemieux
Favorite Hockey Possession (Pucks, Sweaters, Autographs):I love collecting jerseys. I think I have around 40. I have autographed pictures and 2 auto'd sticks
Favorite Music:A lot! 90's alt probably my favorite era but I continue to progress musically. I don't want to be stuck in time.
Favorite Movies:Star Wars/Quintin Terantino
How did you pick your name:

Last edited:

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Sorry in advance, just a curious Wings fan bumping this thread. I wondered how those of u started to get interested in this team that have no local ties to LV (yet) and/or having a #1 team already.

Thanks. As mentioned above, just curious and hope some of u bother to explain their motivation.

That being said, really looking forward to the draft next year. Gonna be exciting how your team's gonna look like.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Sorry in advance, just a curious Wings fan bumping this thread. I wondered how those of u started to get interested in this team that have no local ties to LV (yet) and/or having a #1 team already.

Speaking personally, my prime motivation was because Vegas, besides being another Southwest US NHL franchise, is the closest natural rival for my favorite team, the Coyotes. Vegas and Phoenix as cities may not have much in common outside of the climate, but in terms of hockey markets we share a great many similarities and, it must be said, challenges. I like the idea of having a team that can be a "friendly rival" with us in the league - a team I can cheer against without having to actively loathe them like I do the Kings :D - but with whom I can also empathize and support off of it.

Esteban Tornado

Mar 28, 2014
Las Vegas
Name:JR
If you're in Vegas, where?:Anthem
How long have you been in town:Since 1997, with a 5 year break for job transfer to San Diego
Did you go to Thunder/Wrangler Games?:Both
Where are you from/hometown?:LA
Season Ticket Section (if applicable):No, but will use Stubhub, Gametime etc. for now
Favorite Team (assuming Vegas wasn't around):LA Kings
Vegas' Position on the favorite team scale:1A
How did you get into hockey:Friends were into hockey. Went to a lot of Kings games in the '70's at the Forum
Favorite Player(s):Kopitar, Doughty
Favorite Hockey Possession (Pucks, Sweaters, Autographs):I have many signed pucks, ticket stubs, jerseys, not sure if any is my absolute favorite.
Favorite Music:Rock, Jazz, Blues
Favorite Movies:Big Lewbowski, Goodfellas, Casino
How did you pick your name:Vegas reference.

Last edited:

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Name: Trevor
If you're in Vegas, where?: Been to Vegas for a few weeks.
How long have you been in town: NA
Did you go to Thunder/Wrangler Games?: No
Where are you from/hometown?: Seattle, Washington
Season Ticket Section (if applicable):
Favorite Team (assuming Vegas wasn't around): Vancouver Canucks (still are)
Vegas' Position on the favorite team scale: Second (Behind the Canucks)
How did you get into hockey: Watching Pavel Bure highlights.
Favorite Player(s): Jannik Hansen, Bo Horvat, Alex Edler, Pavel Datsyuk, Ilya Kovalchuk, Patrick Kane, Ryan Kesler.
Favorite Hockey Possession (Pucks, Sweaters, Autographs): Hansen's Away Jersey. Signed stick/Autograph of Sami Salo's.
Favorite Music: Rock, Hip Hop
Favorite Movies: Too many to name.
How did you pick your name: Random

Northern Knights

Jan 8, 2013
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Name: Brandon
If you're in Vegas, where?: NA
How long have you been in town: NA
Did you go to Thunder/Wrangler Games?: No
Where are you from/hometown?: Calgary, Alberta
Season Ticket Section (if applicable): NA
Favorite Team (assuming Vegas wasn't around): Florida Panthers and Arizona Coyotes.
Vegas' Position on the favorite team scale: #1
How did you get into hockey: Games on TV and lurking on this site.
Favorite Player(s): Aleksander Barkov
Favorite Hockey Possession (Pucks, Sweaters, Autographs): NA
Favorite Music: Metal
Favorite Movies: NA
How did you pick your name: I'm a Knights fan, and I live in Canada. Not very creative, I know! :P

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad