HFHabs 2020 Mock Draft - Completed

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
The :leafs are proud to select from the Orebro HK (SHL), Linus Oberg!

thumb_2560-1080x675.jpg

Toronto's picks:
50. Nico Daws - Guelph Storm (OHL)
112. Alex Laferriere - Des Moines (USHL)
117. Colby Ambrosio - Tri-City Storm (USHL)
148. Landon Slaggert - U of Notre Dame (USNTDP)
174. Luke Reid - U of New Hampshire (NCAA)
178. Danny Weight - Boston College (NCAA)
198. Linus Oberg - Orebro HK (SHL)

@Janne Niinimaa has been PMed!

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Just realised my Chicago mock was over, thought I had a 7th round pick.

9. G Yaroslav Askarov
56. LHD Shakir Mukhamadullin
71. W Daniel Torgersson
76. W Will Cuylle
102. C Zayde Wisdom
133. F Pavel Tyutnev
164. F Grant Slukynsky

At 9, it was a no-brainer to me to select Askarov, their goalie pipeline is dry and Crawford is hurt very often, they needed him. And he's not really a reach, which is nice.

At 56, Mukhamadullin couldn't drop further, he may not be spectacular offensively, in fact he'll have to add some offense to his game, but he played a big part of the season against men in the KHL, providing great defensive plays with his hockey IQ, anticipation and skating/size combo... if he adds offense, could be a real steal in this draft.

At 71, a boom-or-bust in Torgersson, kid is a skilled, big winger who skates well and has a great shot, but who, right now, struggles to understand how to use said size. Coordination ain't the best, nor the speed of his decision-making, but if he can put it together, he does have top-6 potential.

At 76, another big winger, this time who plays a power game and has a pretty good shot, and nice skating. Also owns surprisingly good 2-way acumen. Drawback in his case ? Production doesn't come easy, and is inconsistent, he will need time to develop, but if his offense doesn't develop more, he could become a bottom-6 2-way winger.

At 102, a player who can do it all, bulky but not that tall, nice skater who will be a pest and create havoc in the opposing zone with his constant buzzing and physical play. But overall potential may not be that high, still could develop into a dependable, physical, PK killing bottom-6 forward.

At 133, probably a reach, but really like his skating and offensive skills. Not very big, but gritty in the offensive zone, he'll fight to get the puck and has great hands. In the defensive zone, though, it's lackluster to say the least, and it remains to be seen how much more he can develop. Could surprise, could totally bust.

Finally at 164, a kid that I think could surprise, provided he manages to play well against better opposition than what he had all year long this season (phrasing ?). Good, efficient skater with great hands and vision and a very good shot to boot, remains to be seen if he can up his game a couple notches or if he's simply a USHS superstar.

Thanks to everybody, again a very fun mock, and thanks to @Tomas Tatahhh for holding things together as always, it's very appreciated. (and is it just me or they deleted the archives ? can't find past mocks...)

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
11 - Minnesota: Seth Jarvis
25 - Minnesota (from Pittsburgh): Dylan Holloway
42 - Minnesota: Jeremie Poirier
104 - Minnesota: Wyatt Kaiser
135 - Minnesota: Christopher Sedoff
166 - Minnesota: Isac Andersson
197 - Minnesota : Isaak Phillips

I like this draft. Sedoff was an auto pick, but at that point hes an okay pick, I probably just would have bumped up Andersson/Phillips to the next round.

I think its nice, lotsa grit and lotsa talent added to Minny and you know thats something they need. Jarvis can hopefully become that guy offensively, at that spot him and Gunler were the ones I looked at. Holloway isn't exactly a need, as I feel there's a lot of Holloway types in the Wilds organisation, but at that spot I couldn't go without. Poirier brings the much needed talent on the backend.

Hopefully Jarvis/Holloway can mesh well with Boldy and I think they will. If Jarvis can become that play driving forward I think he can be, Holloway and Boldy are going to be awesome freaking "complimentary" pieces. Jarvis could very well be a Barzal for all I know and what if Boldy/Holloway turns into a Landeskog/Rantanen ? Suh-weet.

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

Janne Niinimaa

"Character"
Sep 28, 2017
Montreal
:rangersselect, Jackson Van De Leest.

PICKS

13. Jack Quinn, RW
23. Connor Zary, C
75. Alex Cotton, RD
84. Tyler Kleven, LD
106. Theo Rochette, C
137. Ryan Kirwan, LW
168. Artur Akhtyamov, G
199. Jackson Van De Leest, LD

PM'ing next.

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

John WhiteVan

Feb 2, 2018
Cape Breton
Calgary selects Nate Schweitzer (D) of Colorado College

14. Jake Sanderson (D)
45. Ridly Greig (C)
96. Jack Thompson (D)
138. Oliver Tarnstrom (C)
169. Hugo Ollas (G)
200. Nate Schweitzer (D)

Thanks for draft, always love these to discover prospects for the later rounds. Cheers folks.

PMing next GM.

Reactions: Pompeius Magnus

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Florida picks C/RW Riley Duran - Lawrence Academy HS-Ma

florida_panthers.svg

1 (15): Hendrix Lapierre - C
2 (46): Topi Niemela - RD
3 (77): Michael Benning - RD
3 (91): Evan Vierling - C
4 (108): James Hardie - LW
5 (143): Artyom Galimov - C
7 (201): Riley Duran - C/RW

Thanks for the draft everyone. Looking forward to the real thing. Cheers!

PMing the next GM

Last edited:

Carl182

Mar 31, 2019
Is there a board to talk about the upcoming prospects? Especially the more obscur ones?

Janne Niinimaa

"Character"
Sep 28, 2017
Montreal
:rangers select, Jack Works and Eric Engstrand.

Overall I'm very satisfied with this draft.

PICKS

13. Jack Quinn, RW
23. Connor Zary, C
75. Alex Cotton, RD
84. Tyler Kleven, LD
106. Theo Rochette, C
137. Ryan Kirwan, LW
168. Artur Akhtyamov, G
199. Jackson Van De Leest, LD
202. Jack Works, C
203. Eric Engstrand, LW

PM'ing next.

OB5

May 2, 2015
I'm hoping he's available he didn't show up in my search:

Carolina takes Danila Galenyuk, LHD, St. Petersburg (KHL)

Galenyuk has always been known as a physically gifted shutdown defenseman with a hard shot, but this year he has notably improved his mobility and defensive awareness, which resulted in a bigger role on a top team in the KHL. Not afraid to make opponents suffer both from his checking and answering the bell. Still is a bit error-prone, so he should continue working on eliminating that from his game.

19 - Rodion Amirov
44 - William Villeneuve
54 - Roby Jarventie
69 - Oliver Suni
85 - Brock Faber
205 – Danila Galenyuk

Last edited:

OriginalCanadian

May 13, 2015
The Hammer
With the Islanders' final pick of the 2020 draft, we select from Saint John in QMJHL....Brady Burns (C)

sea-dogs-vs-valdorIMG_4045-1024x683.jpg

With our 7th rounder we decided to go boom or bust, we selected a fast and creative center who can find all the right places on the ice to score goals. Burns is undersized at 5'8" & 150lbs, but he's also sneaky with the puck. He uses his speed to avoid being taken down by bigger opponents and uses his above average stick handling to get the puck out of the dirty areas. Brady nears the top of every scoring list for '02 born players, so it's hard to ignore his pure offensive output.

The only way that Burns will be able to compete at the next level if if he can build up strength to keep himself upright when facing stronger competition. If is offence doesn't translate, he will need to develop better defensive skills to compensate.

Final NYI Draft
82: Jack Finley (C) 6'5" 207lbs Spokane WHL
113: Carson Bantle (LW) 6'4" 201lbs Madison USHL
144: Zachary Uens (LD) 6'2" 185lbs Merrimack NCAA
175: Axel Rindell (RD) 6'0" 176lbs Jukurit Liiga

206: Brady Burns (C) 5'8" 150lbs Saint John QMJHL

Thank you to @Tomas Tatahhh for putting this together for another year :clap:

I will PM next pick

Last edited:
Reactions: Le Barron de HF

OriginalCanadian

May 13, 2015
The Hammer
With the Islanders' final pick of the 202o draft, we select from Saint John in QMJHL....Brady Burns (C)

sea-dogs-vs-valdorIMG_4045-1024x683.jpg

With our 7th rounder we decided to go boom or bust, we selected a fast and creative center who can find all the right places on the ice to score goals. Burns is undersized at 5'8" & 150lbs, but he's also sneaky with the puck. He uses his speed to avoid being taken down by bigger opponents and uses his above average stick handling to get the puck out of the dirty areas. Brady nears the top of every scoring list for '02 born players, so it's hard to ignore his pure offensive output.

The only way that Burns will be able to compete at the next level if if he can build up strength to keep himself upright when facing stronger competition. If is offence doesn't translate, he will need to develop better defensive skills to compensate.

Final NYI Draft
82: Jack Finley (C) 6'5" 207lbs Spokane WHL
113: Carson Bantle (LW) 6'4" 201lbs Madison USHL
144: Zachary Uens (LD) 6'2" 185lbs Merrimack NCAA
175: Axel Rindell (RD) 6'0" 176lbs Jukurit Liiga

206: Brady Burns (C) 5'8" 150lbs Saint John QMJHL

Thank you to @Tomas Tatahhh for putting this together for another year :clap:

I will PM next pick

Overall I think I had a well balanced draft considering I didn't have a 1st or 2nd rounder. It's a good variety of player types, position, size and age. All provide good offensive talent in their respective leagues, Finley and Bantle providing better two-way play than the rest.

Can't wait for next year! :laugh:

Hope Of Glory

May 24, 2009
North Shore
Edmonton selects Samuel Johannesson.

PM'ing the next guy.

Thanks to everybody that participated and helped set up this things, was really fun once again!

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
I was going to take Burns as he is a local kid but @OriginalCanadian beat me to him.
Instead I will take a chance on a goalie that got some good reviews from Amateur Scout Al Jensen.

Buffalo selects Goaltender Will Cranley of the Ottawa 67's. Cranley didn't get a lot of exposure as back-up to the strong Ottawa 67's team but he has good potential and should see more time in the crease this year. At 6'4", Cranley has both the size and athleticism to become an NHL goaltender for a team willing to be patient for him to develop.

Cranley_BT2-1024x819.jpg

8) Cole Perfetti, LW
38) Justin Barron, RD
100) Daemon Hunt, LD
131) Jacob Truscott, LD
193) Ivan Didkovsky, LW
208) Will Cranley, G

Thank you to all who made this draft and kept it going. It was fun!
No doubt when we look back in a few years I will have nailed each pick :sarcasm:

Next up is Carolina:@OB5

Reactions: OriginalCanadian

OB5

May 2, 2015
Carolina Selects Jackson Kunz!

Although he only played five games for the Gamblers in a shortened season, Jackson had a stellar season with Shattock St. Mary's Midget Prep. He recorded 69 points with them before coming to the Gamblers where he recorded one in five games. Next season, Jackson will play for the University of North Dakota who will provide him with a great platform to continue developing into a more well-rounded prospect.

19 - Rodion Amirov
44 - William Villeneuve
54 - Roby Jarventie
69 - Oliver Suni
85 - Brock Faber
205 – Danila Galenyuk

209- Jackson Kunz

@CapSpace is up

Thanks to @Tomas Tatahhh for another great draft!

yoteshot

Lazy Habs fan
Aug 6, 2005
Gatineau / Ottawa
Alright, well it's been 19h since the last pick so I'll just go ahead and make mine... At this point in the draft, I guess @CapSpace can just make his pick whenever he stops by (he was online at 3 PM and 3 AM).

yoteshot

Lazy Habs fan
Aug 6, 2005
Gatineau / Ottawa
:sharks

With the 211th pick in this draft, we are happy to select, from Saginaw in the OHL, defenceman Mitchell Smith.

I went to see a Saginaw game in Ottawa this year to watch #91 (Perfetti) in action. He was as advertised, but he was the only player I noticed more than #22 on the Spirit. I had to look this kid up because as a defenceman, he kept making nice rushes up the ice and seemed to always be looking to jump in the action, yet I didn't see him make many mistakes on D. I Googled him and that's when I noticed he was born on September 15th, the latest he could to be a 2020 draft eligible. Playing behind more experienced defenders, his icetime was limited, but I'm expecting big time progression from his next year as he becomes a true top 4 guy for Saginaw. He's obviously a long term project, but he really stood out for me and I'll be stoked if he ends up being drafted this year as I did see some potential in him.

28 - Jan Mysak - LW, Hamilton Bulldogs (OHL)
34 - Brendan Brisson - C, Chicago Steel (USHL)
60 - Kasper Simontaival - RW, Tappara U20 (Jr. A - Finland)
126 - Jacob Dion - D, Drummondville Voltigeurs (QMJHL)
127 - Gage Goncalves - C, Everett Silvertips (WHL)
211 - Mitchell Smith - D, Saginaw Spirit (OHL)
213 -

Philly was PM'd

Last edited:
Reactions: Pompeius Magnus

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
With our last pick in the draft, we select Lukas Svejkovsky!

28108.jpg

Svejkovsky has tons of talent. He possesses great skills which is complimented with his great vision. He's got a good shot that he uses in dangerous areas, and he also has good speed.

26: John-Jason Peterka
57: Luke Evangelista
119: Adam Wilsby
150: Elliot Ekmark
181: Kyle Crnkovic
194: Jack Smith
212: Lukas Svejkovsky

Overall, I'd say it's a decent draft. I really like Evangelista, but I might be a bit too high on Wilsby because I think I drafted him pretty early.

Thanks to @Tomas Tatahhh for hosting again!

yoteshot

Lazy Habs fan
Aug 6, 2005
Gatineau / Ottawa
:sharks

Let's close out our draft with yet another guy that would be considered undersized for his position in goaltender Amir Miftakhov. We happen to like a lot of late round goalies this year (Hlavaj and Garand are 2 others) so we're happy that we still had one left on our list. Miftakhov is small, but he has already shown to be able to excel in the clutch such as when he had to replace Askarov on short notice. Supremely agile, we feel like his size will not deter him from reaching the NHL, where he could be a solid 1B goalie in the mold of a Jaroslav Halak. If that happens, we'll be more than happy to have it come from a 7th rounder.

28 - Jan Mysak - LW, Hamilton Bulldogs (OHL)
34 - Brendan Brisson - C, Chicago Steel (USHL)
60 - Kasper Simontaival - RW, Tappara U20 (Jr. A - Finland)
126 - Jacob Dion - D, Drummondville Voltigeurs (QMJHL)
127 - Gage Goncalves - C, Everett Silvertips (WHL)
211 - Mitchell Smith - D, Saginaw Spirit (OHL)
213 - Amir Miftakhov - G, Bars Kazan (VHL)

TB was PM'd

All in all, I'm super happy with my draft. I see Mysak, Brisson and Simontaival as 3 of the more skilled forwards available this years and I feel like I got all 3 of them a bit later than they will go. Dion I kinda forced myself to pick a D there, but looking at who went after, apart from Commesso, I'd still make that pick. Goncalves is one my favourite OA this year and I just can't talk myself out of him being this year's Morgan Geekie, a prospect I really like. Smith and Miftakhov are both smaller guys and long shots, but both very skilled at what they do, so I think I could definitely have done worse. Happy to have picked from 6 different leagues out of 7 picks. Sometimes it's easy to focus too much where you know the most.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad