#34 - Michael Pezzetta
#35 - Kieran Ruscheinski
#36 - Antoine Waked
#37 - Arvid Henriksson

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Clearly not everyone will agree on the order but whatever order you prefer there's no doubt that the Habs top 10 is just sick and that top 20 is very, very deep. Of course many won't make it, some won't live up to the hype but if only a few of them reach their ceiling then things are going to be very interesting in a few years depending on various factors.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
the pool of prospect is very deep and will continue to be with 12 choices in the next draft.

for sure although we'll see if they end up with 12 picks or not, as that could be a bit of a problem in terms of the 50 and spots in Laval. So we might see them move some picks again for future picks in '21 or '22.

The system should take a hit at the top though as we could see Poehling, Brook, Suzuki in the NHL full time by the start of '20-'21. If Caufield turns pro at the end of this upcoming season that would also hurt if he makes the team out of camp but it's too early to say one way or the other yet.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
here's the breakdown of the 37,

G- 3 (Primeau, McNiven, Dichow)

D- 12 (Brook, Romanov, Struble, Fleury, Harris, Norlinder, Fairbrother, Leskinen, LeGuerrier, Sklenicka, Ruscheinski, Henriksson)

C- 11 (Poehling, Suzuki, Ikonen, Evans, Olofsson, Hillis, McShane, Vejdemo, Stapley, Verbeek, Houde)

W- 11 (Caufield, Ylonen, Teasdale, Pitlick, Fonstad, Gorniak, Khisamutdinov, Harvey-Pinard, Alain, Pezzetta, Waked)

some forwards play all 3 forward positions, so some I just put on the wing that can play center or some centers that will likely end up on the wing.

Reactions: Maxime Tremblay

Maxime Tremblay

Aug 8, 2019
Montréal
for sure although we'll see if they end up with 12 picks or not, as that could be a bit of a problem in terms of the 50 and spots in Laval. So we might see them move some picks again for future picks in '21 or '22.

The system should take a hit at the top though as we could see Poehling, Brook, Suzuki in the NHL full time by the start of '20-'21. If Caufield turns pro at the end of this upcoming season that would also hurt if he makes the team out of camp but it's too early to say one way or the other yet.

Also, even if the exchange of choices for 2021 or not the young people who will be drafted in 2020 will not be in the system for two or three years it will be time for Bergevin to let young people who disappoints and veterans who are either in Montreal or Laval

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007

What is interesting is how the drafting seems to overload with organizational need each year

2018 was centers
2019 was left d

I guess we need to look at righty shooters for 2020 as Rd and rw seem the area of need based on the depth chart in the other thread.

Reactions: Habs Icing

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I still have Ruscheinski last. Literally every person on that list has done more in a better league than him.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal

If those 3 players make it at the end of this year and before trade deadline, it may actually help with the 50 contracts. MB might be able to unload 2, 3, or 4 depth players for draft picks. If MB plays his cards right, he could get a nice momentum going where each year he brings up one or two prospects and trades one or two veterans for picks and never really approach that 50 contract limit. But someone will have to show MB how to play his cards first.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
For me
#1 - Cole Caufield
#2 - Josh Brook
#3 - Nick Suzuki
#4 - Alexander Romanov
#5 - Ryan Poehling
#6 - Cayden Primeau
#7 - Jesse Ylonen
#8 - Jayden Struble
#9 - Cale Fleury
#10 - Jordan Harris
#11 - Mattias Norlinder
#12 - Joni Ikonen
#13 - Cam Hillis
#14 - Joel Teasdale
#15 - Jacob Olofsson
#16 - Cole Fonstad
#17 - Rhett Pitlick
#18 - Jake Evans
#19 - Gianni Fairbrother
#20 - Otto Leskinen
#21 - Michael McNiven
#22 - Lukas Vejdemo
#23 - Allen McShane
#24 - Brett Stapley
#25 - Jack Gorniak
#26 - Arsen Khisamutdinov
#27 - Jacob LeGuerrier
#28 - Frederik Dichow
#29 - Hayden Verbeek
#30 - Michael Pezzetta
#31 - Alexandre Alain
#32 - David Sklenicka
#33 - Rafael Harvey-Pinard
#34 - Samuel Houde
#35 - Kieran Ruscheinski
#36 - Antoine Waked
#37 - Arvid Henriksson

Next year graduates: Poehling
Next year potential risers: Ikonen, Fairbrother, Leskinen, Khisamutdinov, Dichow, Ruscheinski
Next year potential fallers: Struble, Olofsson, Hillis, McNiven

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I still have Ruscheinski last. Literally every person on that list has done more in a better league than him.

Every player that's played in the NHL has done more in a better league than every player that has yet to play an NHL game, like Caufield, Suzuki, Brook, and Romanov. That doesn't mean they have higher future potential.

The thinking is if Timmins took him, he sees a possibility of future NHL potential. Whereas some of the other prospects are older and haven't progressed.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Every player that's played in the NHL has done more in a better league than every player that has yet to play an NHL game, like Caufield, Suzuki, Brook, and Romanov. That doesn't mean they have higher future potential.

The thinking is if Timmins took him, he sees a possibility of future NHL potential. Whereas some of the other prospects are older and haven't progressed.

Exactly!!!

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Nothing against Poehling but seeing him as our #1 is a bit weird. I get that the top 3 (hell even top 6) can be pretty interchangeable but his upside just seems relatively low to the others around him. I always think 'NHL readiness' is a garbage variable when ranking prospects. Show some stones.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Nothing against Poehling but seeing him as our #1 is a bit weird. I get that the top 3 (hell even top 6) can be pretty interchangeable but his upside just seems relatively low to the others around him. I always think 'NHL readiness' is a garbage variable when ranking prospects. Show some stones.

I like him at #1 as Caufield and Suzuki both have major flaws that will make them much less multi dimensional than Poehling.

For me he is much better than Caufield and Suzuki in the defensive zone and neutral zone as well as being more effective in some aspects of the game in the offensive zone. People put way too much weight on point production and not nearly enough emphasis on a player's total contribution to winning.

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
It is a garbage variable.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I like him at #1 as Caufield and Suzuki both have major flaws that will make them much less multi dimensional than Poehling.

For me he is much better than Caufield and Suzuki in the defensive zone and neutral zone as well as being more effective in some aspects of the game in the offensive zone. People put way too much weight on point production and not nearly enough emphasis on a player's total contribution to winning.

you have a point. Pacioretty's impressive goal totals post Chara incident mean little to me because I think he really didn't tilt the ice in our favour imo. I don't think Caufield's going to be that though. I think he can put up gaudy totals while still being a sizeable net plus out there. Despite my take on Patches I still put a premium on sheer production though. I really really like Poehling, for the reasons you stated especially as I see him contributing in many ways, even if he's a 3rd liner I think he can be a key cog to a really good team no doubt.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
you have a point. Pacioretty's impressive goal totals post Chara incident mean little to me because I think he really didn't tilt the ice in our favour imo. I don't think Caufield's going to be that though. I think he can put up gaudy totals while still being a sizeable net plus out there. Despite my take on Patches I still put a premium on sheer production though. I really really like Poehling, for the reasons you stated especially as I see him contributing in many ways, even if he's a 3rd liner I think he can be a key cog to a really good team no doubt.
Have you forgotten how crucial of a role he played in our offense in 2013-14, he scored like 25% of our goals or something ridiculous like that. Subban, Price and him carried the team to the playoffs that year.

Reactions: sharks9

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

Not a lot of potential in a guy who was visibly shaky against pressure in f***ing Midget.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Not a lot of potential in a guy who was visibly shaky against pressure in ****ing Midget.

Hey, maybe you do have more information than Timmins.

But a generalization about what league a player played in doesn't make any sense.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

well you can say that with every pick they make, they clearly see something or else they wouldn't have picked them. Hopefully it was just a draft class where the last few rounds was so thin that they just opted to take a more unusual approach. 2 players being drafted out of leagues that as far as I can find have never had a player drafted from that league before is very surprising. Granted they were 5th and 7th rounders so nothing is expected from them to begin with.

As long as they hit on Caufield and one or two others then this draft will be a success imo.

DinosaurBones

Sep 18, 2018
#1 - Ryan Poehling
#2 - Cole Caufield
#3 - Nick Suzuki
#4 - Josh Brook
#5 - Alexander Romanov
#6 - Cayden Primeau
#7 - Jesse Ylonen
#8 - Jayden Struble
#9 - Cale Fleury
#10 - Jordan Harris
#11 - Joni Ikonen
#12 - Mattias Norlinder
#13 - Jake Evans
#14 - Joel Teasdale
#15 - Jacob Olofsson
#16 - Cam Hillis
#17 - Rhett Pitlick
#18 - Cole Fonstad
#19 - Gianni Fairbrother
#20 - Allen McShane
#21 - Otto Leskinen
#22 - Michael McNiven
#23 - Lukas Vejdemo
#24 - Brett Stapley
#25 - Jack Gorniak
#26 - Arsen Khisamutdinov
#27 - Jacob LeGuerrier
#28 - Frederik Dichow
#29 - Rafael Harvey-Pinard
#30 - Alexandre Alain
#31 - David Sklenicka
#32 - Hayden Verbeek
#33 - Samuel Houde
#34 - Michael Pezzetta
#35 - Kieran Ruscheinski
#36 - Antoine Waked
#37 - Arvid Henriksson
Love this list, only difference I have is Ylonen and Struble switched. Well done

Reactions: montreal

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
well you can say that with every pick they make, they clearly see something or else they wouldn't have picked them. Hopefully it was just a draft class where the last few rounds was so thin that they just opted to take a more unusual approach. 2 players being drafted out of leagues that as far as I can find have never had a player drafted from that league before is very surprising. Granted they were 5th and 7th rounders so nothing is expected from them to begin with.

As long as they hit on Caufield and one or two others then this draft will be a success imo.

A reporter basically asked this question. And Timmins basically said yeah you could say this draft year was thin so we went to older players. Norlinder, picked in the 3rd round, is a year older than the first year eligible players....

I just don't think it makes sense to dismiss a player based solely on the league they played in.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O

I wouldn't call Suzuki one dimensional. He's pretty much the opposite. I think he's way better than Poehling in the neutral and offensive zone and his defensive game is very good. Need to see more of Caufield but I'd probably put him, Brook and maybe even Primeau and Romanov above Poehling. I just haven't seen the offense for Poehling.

It's nice that we can have these discussions though finally. Wasn't too long ago that Tinordi was far and away the top prospect. Dark times.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
A reporter basically asked this question. And Timmins basically said yeah you could say this draft year was thin so we went to older players. Norlinder, picked in the 3rd round, is a year older than the first year eligible players....

I just don't think it makes sense to dismiss a player based solely on the league they played in.

I wouldn't dismiss them this early but when you are the first pick out of said league it's going to get some blow back. If it works they will look very smart, if it doesn't then at least it was a later pick.

I like the Norlinder pick due to us having hired a new scout for Sweden, so I'm hoping for better luck this time around and that the new guy was a big reason why they went for him. Just hoping it wasn't another one of Rockstrom's "uncovered" gems or late bloomers.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I wouldn't call Suzuki one dimensional. He's pretty much the opposite. I think he's way better than Poehling in the neutral and offensive zone and his defensive game is very good. Need to see more of Caufield but I'd probably put him, Brook and maybe even Primeau and Romanov above Poehling. I just haven't seen the offense for Poehling.

It's nice that we can have these discussions though finally. Wasn't too long ago that Tinordi was far and away the top prospect. Dark times.

Poehling is miles ahead of Suzuki as a skater and puck carrier. Suzuki is at best an average skater who prefers to follow the play and have someone drop it back to him upon entry. Poehling also pressures puck carriers and closes seams much faster than Suzuki can in he neutral zone due to his combination of size, skating and hockey IQ. Poehling is a neutral zone beast whereas Suzuki is only a plus player in the offensive zone.

Suzuki is an adequate defensive player as he has the IQ to anticipate plays but he just doesn't have any of the physical advantages that Poehling has.

Agreed with your final thoughts as we have an abundance of riches at every position

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad