John Hayden
Michael McLeod
Mirco Mueller
Kevin Rooney
Brett Seney

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
i was sitting here, trying to decide between greene, simmonds and schneider and it’s impossible. voted simmonds, add seney

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Butcher went way too high.
I honestly think Butcher is better than Greene at this point, and I voted Smith because I think he's better too. I consider all three mid-pairing D at this point (and I know Greene was in over his head a bit playing a 1st line role). I think the margin between the three is pretty small.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
I honestly think Butcher is better than Greene at this point, and I voted Smith because I think he's better too. I consider all three mid-pairing D at this point (and I know Greene was in over his head a bit playing a 1st line role). I think the margin between the three is pretty small.

You honestly think that if Butcher was put in Greene’s role and Greene in Butcher’s role Butcher would still look better? Ty Smith who has boatloads of potential but hasn’t played a single game is better than Greene too? Cmon, dude. That’s ridiculous. Just because Greene is grossly misused due to lack of depth on LD doesn’t mean he’s a beer leaguer.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
You honestly think that if Butcher was put in Greene’s role and Greene in Butcher’s role Butcher would still look better? Ty Smith who has boatloads of potential but hasn’t played a single game is better than Greene too? Cmon, dude. That’s ridiculous. Just because Greene is grossly misused due to lack of depth on LD doesn’t mean he’s a beer leaguer.
Actually, yes, i do. At least I think either would be fairly close defensively but better offensively.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Methinks the Cory plummeting is way overdone.
No, it's really not.

Since the 16-17 season, 13 goaltenders with a minimum of 50 games played have a worse save percentage than Schneider.

Neuvirth (Probably out of league, but I did hear he got a PTO from the Leafs), Johnson (probably out of the league, at least on a full time basis), Niemi (out of the league), Pickard (AHL tweener), Korpisalo, Darling (probably out of the league), Ward (probably out of the league or hockey altogether), Domingue (currently third on on Tampa's goalie depth chart), Mrazek, good ole Keith Kinkaid, Koskinen, Lehtonen (retired), Condon (out of the league).

And he's tied with career backup/AHL tweener Alex Stalock and ancient Craig Anderson in save percentage. So a minimum of 50 games played over the last 3 years, the only goalies that have performed worse than him who pretty much have a guaranteed NHL job next year are Korpisalo Mrazek, Kinkaid and Koskinen.

I'm not saying he's the worst player on the team, I'd probably vote him over a few of these guys like Carrick, Mueller, maybe even the current Greene and possibly a few others, but I don't see him as a top-10 player on this team anymore. Not after the last 3 years.

Last edited:

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Butcher went way too high.
I don't think he did at all.

He's possibly the most underrated player on here these days. Palmieri is starting to become underrated around here to a degree, but at least he did get voted into the spot that he probably should be in.

Who that's remaining on here should go ahead of him? Not a large enough sample size on Blackwood yet for me to put him above Butcher, Carrick sure as f*** shouldn't, no way in hell Mueller should, Schneider sure as hell shouldn't, as he's been one of the league's worst goaltenders over the last 3 years. Simmonds? Eh, maybe. He had one pretty poor year last season, but his icetime was reduced and he could easily bounce back to a 40 point player this year. Smith? No sample size at all yet. Wood or Zacha? Probably not.

Greene is old at this point and has played beyond his capabilities for at least 2, maybe 3 years now, so it's not definitive to say Butcher is better than him, but I think at this point and at age 37, which Greene will be early this season, I'd feel reasonably comfortable in saying Butcher is the better player in 2019-2020.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
I don't think he did at all.

He's possibly the most underrated player on here these days. Palmieri is starting to become underrated around here to a degree, but at least he did get voted into the spot that he probably should be in.

Who that's remaining on here should go ahead of him? Not a large enough sample size on Blackwood yet for me to put him above Butcher, Carrick sure as **** shouldn't, no way in hell Mueller should, Schneider sure as hell shouldn't, as he's been one of the league's worst goaltenders over the last 3 years. Simmonds? Eh, maybe. He had one pretty poor year last season, but his icetime was reduced and he could easily bounce back to a 40 point player this year. Smith? No sample size at all yet. Wood or Zacha? Probably not.

Greene is old at this point and has played beyond his capabilities for at least 2, maybe 3 years now, so it's not definitive to say Butcher is better than him, but I think at this point and at age 37, which Greene will be early this season, I'd feel reasonably comfortable in saying Butcher is the better player in 2019-2020.

Agreed Palms is underrated amongst the fan base, but Zajac is #1 there IMO.

I still take Greene over Butcher. I also think Corey has enough track record and showed enough recovery in his play in the second half last year that he’s above Butcher too. A healthy Simmons is also better than Butcher. I’d even think long and hard about Zacha vs Butcher. Both players have some left to be desired in their non-special teams play relative to potential. Zacha biggest value is on the PK and Butcher on the PP. I honestly think there is a higher chance Zacha becomes a bonafide top 6 guy than Butcher being a bonafide top 4 guy. Would be more than happy for Butcher to prove me wrong though.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Cordell put up an article the other day about Zacha, basically showing he's actually one of the best penalty killers in the entire league. Even if his offense remains somewhat limited, and I don't think it will but I'm biased, that's definitely worth quite a bit to me. Enough so that he should be going around this spot.

Me thinks opinions on him are just skewed a bit based on draft on position and expectations.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Methinks the Cory plummeting is way overdone.

I don't know man. Tough to put him over Blackwood. I'm not sold that he's 'back' at all at this point. He looked 'better' - but still not anything like he was in his first few years here. Even at his best, there's enough holes in his game to make him a liability instead of a strength, so I expect MB29, Zacha and maybe Simmonds or someone else to sneak in ahead of him.

Reactions: Bleedred

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad