Prospect Info: HFCF Prospect Poll: #5 (run-off)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Even that summer we wouldn't have had Janko @#1 though. We have our own opinions on guys, that was my main point.

It's true. The way I look at it, the fact that management picked Rasmus first just means they knew they could get Kylington later, it doesn't necessarily mean that they thought Andersson was better.

That said, I stand by what I said before. It's based on my opinion, and I think that in this case, the opinions of the 29 other GMs support that opinion, but don't prove it.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
It's true. The way I look at it, the fact that management picked Rasmus first just means they knew they could get Kylington later, it doesn't necessarily mean that they thought Andersson was better.

That said, I stand by what I said before. It's based on my opinion, and I think that in this case, the opinions of the 29 other GMs support that opinion, but don't prove it.
I agree on that first part, that could have easily been a factor. I also think it was a coin flip like decision between the two given that we traded up to nab Kylington.

30 teams passed on Shea Weber too :naughty:

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
But is the difference between 53 & 60 really that great to change those opinions? I have a feeling it was a coin flip on who they decided to choose, which was why they traded up to grab the other.

I just think its worth considering when Anderssen isn't even getting that many votes yet.

I'm not saying its the be all end all.

I just think that there is a core fanbase that Kylington has had on this board since last summer and still see him as that former consensus third overall player as opposed to a guy that essentially every team in the league passed over twice. (this last point now seems stupid given your previous post)

Again I'm thrilled to have him, I just feel like the hype is strong is all.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I just think its worth considering when Anderssen isn't even getting that many votes yet.

I'm not saying its the be all end all.

I just think that there is a core fanbase that Kylington has had on this board since last summer and still see him as that former consensus third overall player as opposed to a guy that essentially every team in the league passed over twice. (this last point now seems stupid given your previous post)

Again I'm thrilled to have him, I just feel like the hype is strong is all.
Oh I agree, I think he is certainly going too early. Although I think after Klimchuk it becomes wide open.

I think all of Kylington, Andersson, Hickey, Wotherspoon, Morrison, McDonald, Agostino and Arnold are all very close and I have that group after the clear (in my mind) top 5. Maybe even throw Culkin in there too.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I think the holes in Kylington's defensive game are getting drastically overstated.

He's a teenager playing in a men's league, he is going to look "exposed" defensively, from time to time. Had he looked like that against his peers, no question - he's not even in the discussion for the top three rounds of the draft.

I think he's a top ten prospect. Maybe closer to #9 or #10 (shiny toy syndrome and all) but he's up there.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
If you take a baseball pitching prospect that can just throw a fastball like no other. Problem is, he has no curveball, slider or off speed pitches in his toolbox. So the scouting report on this pitcher comes out and everyone knows that all he has is his fastball and they start hitting his pitches out of the park like nobody's business. Well in his draft year, his coach decides that winning is more important than helping his pitcher develop his all around game and developing some other pitches so he barely plays him. Soon news gets out that the pitcher is barely playing and he falls way down the radar on most pro teams scouting lists.

This is Kylington, it probably was not the best decision at all for him to be playing pros as early as he was because it hurt the development of his all around game in the process. Plus factoring in that he got injured last year didn't help his cause either. The defensive side of the game can be taught (especially if your IQ is high), but if our coaches can get their hands on him and work with him for 1-2 seasons, hopefully he can improve by leaps and bounds in that area of his game because he's not going to make it if does not.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Oh I agree, I think he is certainly going too early. Although I think after Klimchuk it becomes wide open.

I think all of Kylington, Andersson, Hickey, Wotherspoon, Morrison, McDonald, Agostino and Arnold are all very close and I have that group after the clear (in my mind) top 5. Maybe even throw Culkin in there too.

On that topic I certainly don't disagree.

I would even add Ortio to that group potentially as well, especially considering the people voting have actually seen him play.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
If you take a baseball pitching prospect that can just throw a fastball like no other. Problem is, he has no curveball, slider or off speed pitches in his toolbox. So the scouting report on this pitcher comes out and everyone knows that all he has is his fastball and they start hitting his pitches out of the park like nobody's business. Well in his draft year, his coach decides that winning is more important than helping his pitcher develop his all around game and developing some other pitches so he barely plays him. Soon news gets out that the pitcher is barely playing and he falls way down the radar on most pro teams scouting lists.

This is Kylington, it probably was not the best decision at all for him to be playing pros as early as he was because it hurt the development of his all around game in the process. Plus factoring in that he got injured last year didn't help his cause either. The defensive side of the game can be taught (especially if your IQ is high), but if our coaches can get their hands on him and work with him for 1-2 seasons, hopefully he can improve by leaps and bounds in that area of his game because he's not going to make it if does not.

To me, though, expecting Kylington to suddenly sprout a solid defensive game to go along with his 99 mph fastball with movement is not more or less realistic than, for instance, expecting Hickey to become an elite offensive player in the next few years. It can happen, absolutely. There's tons of evidence to suggest that Kylington could follow the path of, for instance, Erik Karlsson, and become a superstar. Or that Hickey could develop like Mark Giordano. I think at this point, though, it's something you hope for, rather than expect. I think that putting him at #5 shows that you're expecting it, rather than just hoping for it.

Personally, there are many other prospects who right now I fully expect to be good NHL players, and I'm going to put those guys first. I like having Kylington in the pool, but I like him because I'm happy to take the chance on him, not because I believe it's an especially good chance.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
Imo hickeys odds of being keith lite are higher than kylington being karlsson lite. I like having kylington but id want to see him put together a full solid season.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
To me, though, expecting Kylington to suddenly sprout a solid defensive game to go along with his 99 mph fastball with movement is not more or less realistic than, for instance, expecting Hickey to become an elite offensive player in the next few years. It can happen, absolutely. There's tons of evidence to suggest that Kylington could follow the path of, for instance, Erik Karlsson, and become a superstar. Or that Hickey could develop like Mark Giordano. I think at this point, though, it's something you hope for, rather than expect. I think that putting him at #5 shows that you're expecting it, rather than just hoping for it.

Personally, there are many other prospects who right now I fully expect to be good NHL players, and I'm going to put those guys first. I like having Kylington in the pool, but I like him because I'm happy to take the chance on him, not because I believe it's an especially good chance.

Might be a little bit of an over statement. I'm very optimistic about him personally, but if I really did expect him to turn into a Karlsson or Keith type of player, I would have him ranked ahead of Bennett. And I do have him ranked #2 on my own list, but I rank my prospect heavily on their ceiling. I agree with you about Hickey, I think his floor is higher and more probable, and he could absolutely develop a higher ceiling over the next couple of seasons than Kylington and reach it, but as of now I think Kylington is the more sexy and skilled prospect which for me is a huge factor in my rankings.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Kylington's alleged flaws are significantly overstated. Lack of stability and inexperience explain most if not all of his troubles last season. Both of which can be fixed. The odds of him becoming an NHL'er in some capacity is fairly high.

It's honestly not much different than Jankowski. Those that rated him that highly seem to take it as a given his offense emerges, and likewise, some believe Kylington will figure out the defense part to an at least adequate level, which will be good enough for his style of play.

But I admit, I'm biased. I was more excited over the Flames drafting Kylington than I was over the Hamilton trade.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Really can't believe Hickey, Ortio, and Ferland are below Klimchuk and Kylington.

I can. Ortio was in the mix with these two. Hickey had a good year, but I wouldn't have him in the top 5. I don't see much potential in Ferland, aside from being a 3rd/4th line grinder. Ferland might make my top 10. Might.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
But I admit, I'm biased. I was more excited over the Flames drafting Kylington than I was over the Hamilton trade.

More excited that we got a long shot prospect who might provide offense at the NHL level than a 22 year old 6'5" defenseman who has shown flashes of being top pairing and already provides offense at the NHL level.

Yup.

Biased :D;):naughty:

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Kylington's alleged flaws are significantly overstated. Lack of stability and inexperience explain most if not all of his troubles last season. Both of which can be fixed. The odds of him becoming an NHL'er in some capacity is fairly high.

It's honestly not much different than Jankowski. Those that rated him that highly seem to take it as a given his offense emerges, and likewise, some believe Kylington will figure out the defense part to an at least adequate level, which will be good enough for his style of play.

I can't say I agree with you re: Hamilton vs. Kylington, but that article makes the Flames picks look even more awesome than before. I like it.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Re: Kylington, the biggest thing for me is that until his injury prior to the World Juniors he was still being talked about as a top ten draft selection by most major scouting outfits. Some were still considering him in the top five. This was in December - just 8 months ago.

Even as recent as June, many pundits still had him ranked in the first round: Bob McKenzie (24), Hockey Prospectus (20), Future Considerations (28), ESPN (15), The Hockey News (20). Now I get it, these are just opinions, but frankly they are the opinions of people that are paid to give their opinions.

I think there's a lot of reason to get on the hype train, but I also think there's room for a bit of heartache with this kid. If the Flames can get immediate control over his development it could do wonders for his game.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Re: Kylington, the biggest thing for me is that until his injury prior to the World Juniors he was still being talked about as a top ten draft selection by most major scouting outfits. Some were still considering him in the top five. This was in December - just 8 months ago.

Even as recent as June, many pundits still had him ranked in the first round: Bob McKenzie (24), Hockey Prospectus (20), Future Considerations (28), ESPN (15), The Hockey News (20). Now I get it, these are just opinions, but frankly they are the opinions of people that are paid to give their opinions.

I think there's a lot of reason to get on the hype train, but I also think there's room for a bit of heartache with this kid. If the Flames can get immediate control over his development it could do wonders for his game.
No one pays me but I would have taken him @ 14. Getting him and Hamilton is like ****ing Christmas.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I rank guys as I said previously based largely on upside (like who gets me excited as a fan). Assuming they make they NHL and get somewhere close to their ceiling, where are they likely to play in a teams lineup. Guys that are generally projected as bottom 6 players, or 3rd pairing dman, I usually won't rank very high even if they are very likely get to there.

Take Ferland for example, even though he has an excellent shot at having an NHL career and he's one of my favourite prospects, he's a fringe top 10 prospect to me due to where he projects to play on a roster.

If Kylington makes the NHL, I think most would agree that it's as a 2nd pairing dman at worst, but more likely he's a #3 or higher.

When Karlsson was drafted, he had much of the same criticism as Kylington. Great skater, good offensive ability, but not that great defensively, heck lots of critics still pick apart his defensive game today. But where he's so valuable is in the transition game. His ability to bring the puck up the ice and help in transition makes him probably the best at that in the NHL. Treliving stated after we got knocked out this year how important speed is in today's game, well that's exactly why. If nothing else Kylington will help in transition and keeping us on the offensive side of the puck. Now if he can learn to generate offence at the NHL level, well then he could become a top dman. Nonetheless he's a very exciting prospect to have, I don't think everyone realizes just how fast he is.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
On another note, I do like Klimchuk over Poirier, slightly. I think he's more skilled and I think there's a greater chance that Poirier ends up as a 3rd liner than Klimchuk whereas Klimmer is more likely to play top 6. I think Klimchuk could play with anyone, or anywhere and succeed. I think he's a smarter player, more disciplined and I think he has a better shot. I think Poirier is a more impressive athlete though and plays a more sexy game. All in all, I think they are very close but I think Klimchuk has a better shot of becoming a more productive player.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
On another note, I do like Klimchuk over Poirier, slightly. I think he's more skilled and I think there's a greater chance that Poirier ends up as a 3rd liner than Klimchuk whereas Klimmer is more likely to play top 6. I think Klimchuk could play with anyone, or anywhere and succeed. I think he's a smarter player, more disciplined and I think he has a better shot. I think Poirier is a more impressive athlete though and plays a more sexy game. All in all, I think they are very close but I think Klimchuk has a better shot of becoming a more productive player.

I can see either of them being better. Both will be good though.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I'm really confused as to why his name is pronounced Shillington. I think that will be the biggest thing that could potentially hold him back.

May 27, 2012
Earth
I'm really confused as to why his name is pronounced Shillington. I think that will be the biggest thing that could potentially hold him back.

Shilling

The shilling is a unit of currency formerly used in the United Kingdom and other British Commonwealth countries. The word shilling comes from scilling, an accounting term that dates back to Anglo-Saxon times , and from there back to Old Norse, where it means "division", and in fact many Norse influences countries use the term too.

Ton

The ton is a unit of measure. It has a long history and has acquired a number of meanings and uses over the years. It is used principally as a unit of mass. Its original use as a measurement of volume has continued in the capacity of cargo ships and in terms such as the freight ton. It can also be used as a measure of energy, for truck classification, or as a colloquial term.

Many divisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad