Prospect Info: HFCF Prospect Poll: #5 (run-off)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
We did this last summer, lets do it again.

I am going to start with some guidelines.

To be considered a prospect in these polls they must be under 26 (as of July 1st, 2015) and have fewer than 80 games of NHL experience (including playoffs).

I will set polls to expire in 48 hours. After 48 hours a winner shall be declared unless the winner has less than a 10 vote lead. At which point there will be a 24 poll that pits anyone within 10 votes of first against the leader. There will not be multiple runoff-polls so a win by 1 in a run-off poll will be final. After a winner is declared the next poll will be put up at my earliest convenience.

The current plan is vote on all 37 eligible prospects, but if participation dissipates it may stop sooner.

List of eligible prospects:
Agostino, Ken
Andersson, Rasmus
Arnold, Bill
Bennett, Sam
Bruce, Rily
Carroll, Austin
Culkin, Ryan
DeBlouw, Matt
Elson, Turner
Ferland, Micheal
Gillies, Jon
Gilmour, John
Granlund, Markus
Grant, Derek
Harrison, Tim
Hathaway, Garnet
Hickey, Brandon
Jankowski, Mark
Jooris, Josh
Kanzig, Keegan
Karnaukhov, Pavel
Klimchuk, Morgan
Kulak, Brett
Kylington, Oliver
Mangiapane, Andrew
McDonald, Mason
Morrison, Kenney
Ollas-Mattsson, Adam
Ortio, Joni
Poirier, Emile
Rafikov, Rushan
Shore, Drew
Sieloff, Patrick
Smith, Hunter
Van Brabant, Bryce
Wolf, David
Wotherspoon, Tyler

Rankings:
1. Sam Bennett http://hfboards.mandatory.com/sh....php?t=1927891
2. Emile Poirier http://hfboards.mandatory.com/sh....php?t=1928091
3. Jon Gillies http://hfboards.mandatory.com/sh....php?t=1929015
4. Mark Jankowski (tiebreaker) http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1930105

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
With Anglesmith's crusade to vote Mark Jankowski in as the fourth best prospect completed as a resounding success, he then set his sites on his next target: Joni Ortio.

QcFlames12

Feb 1, 2012
Voted Granlund, but had also wanted to Vote Kylington. The Fact that Markus Granlund is already an NHL Calibre Forward swayed me to choose.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I think we need to have a discussion about Hickey vs Kylington.

Edit: or am I alone on this?

Not at all. I'm not going to be voting for Kylington for a while, to be honest (though based on results so far, I may never vote for him at all).

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think we need to have a discussion about Hickey vs Kylington.

Edit: or am I alone on this?

Here was my post on that topic in the other thread:

In regards to Kylington being ahead of Hickey, Kylington played in a pro league at the age of 16. That is not very common and the fact that he was able to keep up with the pace of play in arguably the 2nd best league in the world shows how talented he is.

Due to his defensive game (or lack there of), Kylngton wasn't getting the minutes he needed with Farjestads so he was demoted, that's what hurt his draft stock this season. It still doesn't change what kind of athlete he is and the set of skills he posseses. Hickey is a great prospect and skater as well, but I don't view him as having that same kind of upside.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
I guess the main problem is I know nothing about the Swedish leagues whereas I have seen Hickey play, know he played well as an 18 year old in the NCAA and now hes getting a look from Hockey Canada this summer for World Juniors. Would be interesting if they both played in the World Junior tournament this winter.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I guess the main problem is I know nothing about the Swedish leagues whereas I have seen Hickey play, know he played well as an 18 year old in the NCAA and now hes getting a look from Hockey Canada this summer for World Juniors. Would be interesting if they both played in the World Junior tournament this winter.

Yeah I still think that there's a strong possibility that Kylington goes to play for Sweden if he has a strong start to the year, where ever that may be. I think Hickey may be the biggest riser in his draft class to date, but I'm not sure how high his offensive upside is? I saw him play twice last year, he's extremely solid, but I didn't see him really impose his presence a ton on the offensive side of the puck other than controlling the play quite well from the blueline. I get the impression that he's got the upside of a very good #3.

Kylington didn't have great numbers in his pro league either, but it's rare that any 18 year old does, let alone a dman. Once he was moved down he started producing with regularity. Kylington must improve his shot but that'll likely come with strength training and just regular practice.

FWIW, I have it as: Kylington, Andersson (ever so slightly) and then Hickey. But I have them all in the same tier and possibly any them surpassing each other by the end of next year depending on performance.

If Hickey scores over 35 points next year, it's going to be hard saying he's not our #1 prospect.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I thnk Hickey's floor might be higher than Kylington's. He has the potential to still be an effective #5/6/7 defenseman if he doesn't ever reach his full potential whereas if Kylington doesn't, might as well jettison him back to Europe. Kylington's ceiling is probably much higher though.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
I thnk Hickey's floor might be higher than Kylington's. He has the potential to still be an effective #5/6/7 defenseman if he doesn't ever reach his full potential whereas if Kylington doesn't, might as well jettison him back to Europe. Kylington's ceiling is probably much higher though.

Well said, Stewie.

______

I personally think Andersson is our best defensive prospect. Just seeing what he did in the OHL (while having fitness issues) makes me think this kid could be something special with the right commitment to fitness. Very intelligent, good skating, and high IQ.

I love how finally we are actually having genuine debates about the depth of our D prospects!

Andersson, Kylington, Hickey, Morrisson, Wotherspoon, Culkin! :handclap:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Well said, Stewie.

______

I personally think Andersson is our best defensive prospect. Just seeing what he did in the OHL (while having fitness issues) makes me think this kid could be something special with the right commitment to fitness. Very intelligent, good skating, and high IQ.

I love how finally we are actually having genuine debates about the depth of our D prospects!

Andersson, Kylington, Hickey, Morrisson, Wotherspoon, Culkin! :handclap:

And I agree with this (as well as with Stewie). Andersson might score 75-80 points next year, especially if he improves his fitness. He has the offensive game already, he's a little chippy at times, and he's fairly good in his own end (needs work though). I really have him and Kylington as neck and neck, but still view Oliver in a little higher regard due to his elite skating.

Jbo, who has limited offensive ability is still a top pairing dman largely in part to his skating ability. I think Kylington has much better natural offensive instincts than Bouwmeester, for that reason I think if he hits his ceiling I truly do believe that the sky is the limit for him.

But Stewie said it very well, Hickey probably has the highest floor and that 100% needs to be taken into consideration. For me, I largely rank my guys due to ceiling.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
And yes, it's awesome to be talking about our D guys like this. I also think Kanzig is going to be like an elite version of Engelland.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad