Prospect Info: HFCBJ Voted Top 20 Prospects: Summer 2021

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Not as bad as the top 20 list looks.

The two best players to come out of the 2009 pool did not even make the top 20 list. David Savard and Cam Atkinson.
Hmf. Savard was on mine. :p: ;)
upload_2021-8-27_23-6-37.png

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
2nd round graveyard goes back much further than Jarmo

It's, what, basically Boone Jenner and jury out on Peeke, Texier, Marchenko, and maybe Stenlund? Fritsche did play 256 games but of course, Shea Weber went three picks after him and Corey Crawford a few picks after Weber.

Reactions: Fro

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
2009 prospect pool was awful

I mean...Brassard, Moore, Goloubef, Dorsett, Calvert, Clitsome, Sestito, and Holden all had/have 8+ year NHL careers. Just none were at a very high level - a lot of bottom pair/bottom line or tweener types.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I mean...Brassard, Moore, Goloubef, Dorsett, Calvert, Clitsome, Sestito, and Holden all had/have 8+ year NHL careers. Just none were at a very high level - a lot of bottom pair/bottom line or tweener types.
Yeah; that's in no small part because MacLean's approach to prospect development was "Ha ha! This Howard Dolgon guy is great! We'll let his boys take care of it", which of course produced f***-all, and the instant we started to try to show any independent initiative at all w/r/t development and management the relationship took an abrupt nosedive. (Anyone else here remember the regular op/eds howling for blood over the inexcusable, unforgivable cutting of ties with The Man The Myth The Legend, Dan Smith? And our horrible crimes w/r/t the league assignment for Nikita Filatov?)

Reactions: LetsGOJackets!!

Jan

Jan 30, 2021
Man, we had a great group of prospects in 2016. Which I guess really shouldn’t be a surprise since we won the Calder Cup and had the 3rd overall pick in the draft.

1. Zachary Werenski
  2. Pierre-Luc Dubois
  3. Oliver Bjorkstrand
  4. Joonas Korpisalo
  5. Sonny Milano
  6. Josh Anderson
  7. Gabriel Carlsson
  8. Anton Forsberg
  9. Vitaly Abramov
  10. Paul Bittner
  11. Keegan Kolesar
  12. Daniel Zaar
  13. Dean Kukan
  14. Markus Nutivaara
  15. Vladislav Gavrikov
  16. Elvis Merzlikins
  17. Dillon Heatherington
  18. Andrew Peeke
  19. Veeti Vainio
  20. Markus Hannikainen
That was an incredibly good list, when looking on the pediction.
But If I remember the season before, they Wennberg, Kerby and Milano was up in the top of the list and then the prediction are not that good.
In fact from 2009 to 2014 was not very good at evaluate the prospect or to predict their value.

This is the same problem on this year list. How many of you has actually seen any of Kent Johnson or Cole Sillinger in anything than junior highlight here and there?

I for sure could not vote on any, simply because of no first hand direct knowledge.

At the prediction in 2015-2017, to top prospect was so well known to be almost guaranty to be at some impact on the NHL team at some time.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
This is the same problem on this year list. How many of you has actually seen any of Kent Johnson or Cole Sillinger in anything than junior highlight here and there?

I for sure could not vote on any, simply because of no first hand direct knowledge.

FWIW it's a lot easier these days, you can watch whole games for all of these prospects on youtube. It's still a guessing game, but at least you have the viewings.

Reactions: LetsGOJackets!!

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
It's, what, basically Boone Jenner and jury out on Peeke, Texier, Marchenko, and maybe Stenlund? Fritsche did play 256 games but of course, Shea Weber went three picks after him and Corey Crawford a few picks after Weber.

The jury is out but there's a very good chance that Peeke, Texier, and Marchenko is three NHLers. And considering most 2nd rounders don't make it, that's good drafting. From now on the "second round curse" is just a myth.

Jan

Jan 30, 2021
FWIW it's a lot easier these days, you can watch whole games for all of these prospects on youtube. It's still a guessing game, but at least you have the viewings.
Yes it is viewing of boys against boys.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
That was an incredibly good list, when looking on the pediction.
But If I remember the season before, they Wennberg, Kerby and Milano was up in the top of the list and then the prediction are not that good.
In fact from 2009 to 2014 was not very good at evaluate the prospect or to predict their value.

At the prediction in 2015-2017, to top prospect was so well known to be almost guaranty to be at some impact on the NHL team at some time.

The point isn’t to always be right or to be the most accurate or prescient. The point is to encourage consideration of our prospects and to do a thing collectively (and, honestly, to kill some time in the long off-season).

Of course we’re not scouts or a scouting service. But I’ll bet that many of us read reports and watch highlights (or, as major said, full games) more during the prospects polls that at almost any other time of year. Given that the site that used to sponsor this forum was called Hockey’s Future, that’s a valuable thing and should be encouraged.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Of course we’re not scouts or a scouting service. But I’ll bet that many of us read reports and watch highlights (or, as major said, full games) more during the prospects polls that at almost any other time of year.
I can't speak for others but for me it depends on how the Jackets are doing in that particular year. If we suck, I focus more on the Monsters and our prospects playing in international tournaments. If we are competing for playoffs for real, I'm too busy watching NHL and complaining about all dumb decisions our FO and coaches make.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I can't speak for others but for me it depends on how the Jackets are doing in that particular year. If we suck, I focus more on the Monsters and our prospects playing in international tournaments. If we are competing for playoffs for real, I'm too busy watching NHL and complaining about all dumb decisions our FO and coaches make.

That's true for most of us. The team was so bad last year, you'd think we'd all be prospect experts by now.

Jan

Jan 30, 2021
Whats your point? North American's generally play against their peers as juniors and continue to pump talent into the league
It is difficult to grade how they will play against opponents that is equal good or better than themselves.

It is easy to be dominated in junior, as one of the best in your age group.
In the NHL it is the best from may 12 times your age group.

For some even of the best juniors, it proves to be impossibly to midgrade their game to the senior professional League.
For other that seamed less skilled, they does better, that they did as juniors.

It is not even so it is easier with boys from Europe that has played in the KHL as juniors. They still sometime fails in the NHL.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
It is difficult to grade how they will play against opponents that is equal good or better than themselves.

It is easy to be dominated in junior, as one of the best in your age group.
In the NHL it is the best from may 12 times your age group.

For some even of the best juniors, it proves to be impossibly to midgrade their game to the senior professional League.
For other that seamed less skilled, they does better, that they did as juniors.

It is not even so it is easier with boys from Europe that has played in the KHL as juniors. They still sometime fails in the NHL.
Skill is skill, doesnt matter what age group you are playing against. At the end of the day the whole point of the draft is to project who will be the best as a finished product. I dont care if a player is dominating the CHL or playing 8 minutes a night in the KHL, skill will find a way as long as those players work and are willing to self evaluate and work on weaknesses.
The whole thing about players playing in mens leagues has some big advantage is a bunch of bull to me. Even if they were more developed it doesnt last long before everyone catches up.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
The jury is out but there's a very good chance that Peeke, Texier, and Marchenko is three NHLers. And considering most 2nd rounders don't make it, that's good drafting. From now on the "second round curse" is just a myth.

There's a ~34% chance a 2nd round draft pick ends up playing 99+ games in the NHL.

2nd round curse is warranted for this franchise.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
There's a ~34% chance a 2nd round draft pick ends up playing 99+ games in the NHL.

2nd round curse is warranted for this franchise.

In the first 15 or so years, I don't disagree. But it's a silly thing to invoke now when the last three 2nd round picks are Peeke, Texier, and Marchenko.

Reactions: LJ7201 and Viqsi

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Considering he traded the last two for the same useless player, no.

Dzingel did have 12 points in 21 games in the regular season for the CBJ. We might not have made the playoffs without him. He was arguably a better regular season player after we acquired him than Duchene. He just didn’t do much in the playoffs.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
In the first 15 or so years, I don't disagree. But it's a silly thing to invoke now when the last three 2nd round picks are Peeke, Texier, and Marchenko.

Texier went 42 straight without a goal last year, Marchenko isn't in North America for at least another year, and Peeke has played in 33 career NHL games.

Maybe don't count your chickens before they hatch?

Jarmo has drafted 7 skaters in the 2nd round, none have played in 100+ games get. Maybe Texier but for covid pauses, but still 1/7 is really bad.

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Texier went 42 straight without a goal last year, Marchenko isn't in North America for at least another year, and Peeke has played in 33 career NHL games.

Maybe don't count your chickens before they hatch?

Jarmo has drafted 7 skaters in the 2nd round, none have played in 100+ games get. Maybe Texier but for covid pauses, but still 1/7 is really bad.

1/7?

What a trolljob. So if a GM's last three first rounders haven't played 100 games yet, does that mean he is batting 0/3 and should be shitcanned? That's not how prospects work, and you obviously know that. You draft at 18, it takes years for their debut, let alone 100 games.

The first four were disappointing, but I'm pretty darn confident that the last three are going to be among that 34% to hit 100 games. Peeke I'm most unsure of but he's still got to be 80% plus.

Jan

Jan 30, 2021
Skill is skill, doesnt matter what age group you are playing against. At the end of the day the whole point of the draft is to project who will be the best as a finished product. I dont care if a player is dominating the CHL or playing 8 minutes a night in the KHL, skill will find a way as long as those players work and are willing to self evaluate and work on weaknesses.
The whole thing about players playing in mens leagues has some big advantage is a bunch of bull to me. Even if they were more developed it doesnt last long before everyone catches up.
Except some skilled player manages to elevate up to play against bigger opponent and other do to managed even when they just have to compete against equal strong opponent.

You can of cause begin to discuss what and who it in fact really skilled players.
That is however another discussion.

In these forum most are just going with what the main stream is telling and goes on and on about those exceptional skilled player.

Was Sonny Milano a skilled player, or a limited player, now that he failed in two NHL clubs?
In this forum he was one of the most skilled player at some time, do not forget this little fact.

There are, and I will guaranty you this, there are also Sonny Milano players on this year top prospect list.

Hopefully not among the top of the list.
Their may however also be a Cam Atkinson or a Bjorkstrand to find on the list.

To me it is just very difficult to be very hyped about those prospect lists, before they has either played in the AHL or SEL, switch League or KHL at least, where they has played against toucher opponents.

That you can like or dis likes all you want.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad