Prospect Info: HFCBJ Summer 2021 Prospect Rankings: #1

Who is the best prospect of these 5?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Here it is, the thread you've all been waiting for!!

Here's the general plan for anyone who's new or forgotten how this works:
Vote for the best prospect from the above poll and post who you think should be added from the full list below. Criteria, broadly, is that they are under 25 and haven't spent the majority of a season in the NHL.

Notes:
1) We've made every effort to have the full prospect list as accurate as possible. Despite the blanket criteria, there were a few players around whom there was some discussion whether or not they should be included. "Graduates" include Stenlund and Carlsson. Tex and Bemstrom graduated last year. Boqvist is out, despite the fact I wanted to include him. Players no longer in the system are obviously gone, as is Peter Thome, who remains unsigned.

Peeke was another borderline player but we left him in. Calvin Thurkauf signed in Europe but we retain his rights so he's included - address that situation as you see fit. Foudy remains.

If you have quibbles with the list, please shoot me a PM and we'll see if it needs to be fixed.

2) Just so it's said up front, there are no set criteria to determine how you vote. Peak potential, likelihood of NHL career, pathway to playing time, expectations based on draft status -- any/all of these can be used at your discretion. There is no right/wrong way to vote.

3) There was some discussion on the first five. That said, we didn't fuss too much about it because you all can "fix" it in the add voting. Those five don't have to be the top five, if we get a player added and then enough posters vote for him in the subsequent poll.

4) Each poll is open for one day. We will do our best to keep these going with a fresh poll every day, but pre-apologies if we miss a day here or there.

Select your add from the list (again, please let me know if there are corrections)

Tyler Angle (C)
Tim Berni (D)
Ben Boyd (LW)
Jacob Christiansen (D)
Corson Ceulemans (D)
Josh Dunne (C)
Trey Fix-Wolansky (RW)
Liam Foudy (C/LW)
Eric Hjorth (D)
Ole Julian Bjorgvik Holm (D)
Kale Howarth (LW)
Samuel Johannesson (D)
Marcus Karlberg (LW/RW)
Samuel Knazko (D)
Nikolai Makarov (D)
James Malatesta (C)
Carson Meyer (RW)
Andrew Peeke (D)
Mikael Pyyhtia (C)
Guillaume Richard (D)
Martin Rysavy (LW)
Robbie Stucker (D)
Stanislav Svozil (D)
Calvin Thürkauf (C/LW)
Dmitri Voronkov (LW)

Add: (as of Long Live Lyle)
Voronkov - 18
Peeke - 4
Foudy - 3

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Byrral

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
KJ, and I may end up regretting this later but add Voronkov.

Normally I have a top-20 laid out before I start voting, but I find myself agonizing over this list again and again. There's more folks that I think of as top-10 than there are spots to fit into "top-10" and it is driving me absolutely bonkers. So some revisions may take place over the next couple days. ;)

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Only from the whom I SAW:

Dmitri Voronkov
Daniil Tarasov
Liam Foudy
Samuel Knazko
Kirill Marchenko
Yegor Chinakhov
Josh Dunne

I didn`t see Johnson, Sillinger, etc.

Reactions: Jan

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Only from the whom I SAW:

Dmitri Voronkov
Daniil Tarasov
Liam Foudy
Samuel Knazko
Kirill Marchenko
Yegor Chinakhov
Josh Dunne

I didn`t see Johnson, Sillinger, etc.
The usual idea behind this thing is that we try to put together an ordered list of all Jackets prospects, even tho pretty much none of us will have seen all of them. Having seen them definitely helps a lot, but this is more of a "what do people think about the prospect pool" thing rather than a hard-and-fast list.

Well, okay, I usually put together a strict list and take people to task for not following it, but that's just me being my usual bitchy self. ;) The short version is: don't be afraid to vote for folks you haven't seen.

(Also - given the order of your list, should this be counted as a vote to add Voronkov?)

Reactions: LetsGOJackets!!

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
The usual idea behind this thing is that we try to put together an ordered list of all Jackets prospects, even tho pretty much none of us will have seen all of them. Having seen them definitely helps a lot, but this is more of a "what do people think about the prospect pool" thing rather than a hard-and-fast list.

Well, okay, I usually put together a strict list and take people to task for not following it, but that's just me being my usual bitchy self. ;) The short version is: don't be afraid to vote for folks you haven't seen.

(Also - given the order of your list, should this be counted as a vote to add Voronkov?)
Of course, Voronkov has to be there. He isn`t worse than Marchenko minimum.

It`s funny how anybody can do a list of prospects if one never saw them.

Reactions: Doggy

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
I get shiny toy syndrome but we just had a group of pages where ppl questioned Johnson bc no one knows what position he ends in.. but he's voted top prospect so far?

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I get shiny toy syndrome but we just had a group of pages where ppl questioned Johnson bc no one knows what position he ends in.. but he's voted top prospect so far?
I think it's the fact that he's got the highest ceiling, multiple scouts have commented that he could very well be the best player of the draft regardless of position.

I'd gladly take another Panarin type on the wings.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

I wasn't concerned about him because of position uncertainty, but rather whether he'd be able to execute his skill-set in the NHL. But for the purposes of this vote, I weighed his upside more heavily.

Personally, I have four guys rated pretty much the same, but this exercise precludes my preference to rate them in tiers.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Sillinger add Voronkov.

Pretty persuadable on Johnson as #1 though.

If Johnson hits anywhere near his upside then we've got an elite playmaker and then who cares what position he plays.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
If Johnson hits anywhere near his upside then we've got an elite playmaker and then who cares what position he plays.

Sorta my point, a lot of "IF"...meanwhile we are seeing Marchenko and Voronkov play against adults and succeeding...in my mind, that seems more likely...but I know everyone has their own standards

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Sorta my point, a lot of "IF"...meanwhile we are seeing Marchenko and Voronkov play against adults and succeeding...in my mind, that seems more likely...but I know everyone has their own standards

It is more likely but the payoff is on a different scale.

If KJ has a 40% chance of being Elias Pettersson, a 30% chance of being Drouin (nearly nothing), and a 30% chance of being nothing, then that's still worth more than KM who has an 80% chance of being Buchnevich. Those would add up to roughly equal value if Buchnevich was worth half a Pettersson, but he isn't.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Still trying to make my list. So I’m just going to go off of pure instinct right now and dive into it later. And my gut tells me Johnson, add Voronkov

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
2) Just so it's said up front, there are no set criteria to determine how you vote. Peak potential, likelihood of NHL career, pathway to playing time, expectations based on draft status -- any/all of these can be used at your discretion. There is no right/wrong way to vote.

Quoted for emphasis. And to point out that how each of us decides is a topic for discussion in the thread if you like. fro and major posts are interesting, to me, anyway.

Reactions: Fro

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
So the counter to voting for Johnson because he may become a winger is voting for a winger?

He has the highest potential of our prospects, if he reaches that potential is another question but its there

Last edited:

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
So the counter to voting for Johnson because he may become a winger is voting for a winger?

He has the highest potential of our prospects, if he reaches that potential is another question but its there
Solid point...my stance on taking Marchenko is that I've seen him play against adults and hold his own, obviously we haven't seen that from KJ. I am probably higher on the 2 Russians than most just bc of what I've seen of them...I actually would have voted Voronkov 1st if he was in the 5...

Reactions: tunnelvision

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
Voted KJ, + Voronkov

The more context I learn with Johnson the more I like him. Also his scrimmage performance was reassuring.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Solid point...my stance on taking Marchenko is that I've seen him play against adults and hold his own, obviously we haven't seen that from KJ. I am probably higher on the 2 Russians than most just bc of what I've seen of them...I actually would have voted Voronkov 1st if he was in the 5...
Which is fair but I think we should atleast consider the fact he played on a talented Michigan team that had Beniers and Bordeleau who came up through the US program as centers vs Johnson who was some lanky kid coming in from the BCHL. Im not going to pretend to be an expert on Michigan hockey but Im assuming they saw more value in Johnson playing top line wing vs running all 3 as centers.

He has a lot of room for growth as a player and physically which is where I personally believe the greatest benefit of college hockey lies so its going to be exciting to follow.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I'm in the minority (obviously, based on voting) but I like Sillinger a bit more than Johnson and voted him #1.

Add Voronkov

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad