Prospect Info: HFCBJ 2023 Summer Prospect Rankings: #10

Which of these 5 prospects is best?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
We're about at the halfway point for HFCBJ's annual prospect polls. A quick reminder as to how this goes:
Vote for the best prospect from the above poll (listed alphabetically) and post who you think should be added from the full (remaining) list below. Criteria is that they are under 25 and haven't spent the majority of a season in the NHL. (This criteria may not match any particular service's/outlet's, or anyone's here who makes a list. Be that as it may...)

There are no set guidelines to determine how you vote. Peak potential, likelihood of NHL career, pathway to playing time, expectations based on draft status -- any/all of these can be used at your discretion. There is no right/wrong way to vote.

1) Adam Fantilli (C)
2) David Jiricek (RD)
3) Denton Mateychuk (LD)
4) Dmitri Voronkov (C)
5) Stanislav Svozil (LD)
6) Gavin Brindley (C)
7) Jordan Dumais (RW)
8) Corson Ceulemans (D)
9) Daniil Tarasov (G)

Added: Nikolai Makarov (LD)

Select your add from the list below:

Tyler Angle (C)
Ole Julian Bjørgvik Holm (LD)
Ben Boyd (C)
Cameron Butler (RW)
Jacob Christiansen (LD/RD)
Kirill Dolzhenkov (RW)
Joshua Dunne (C)
James Fisher (RW/MOD)
Trey Fix-Wolansky (RW)
Jet Greaves (G)
Aidan Hreschuk (LD)
Sergei Ivanov (G)
Oiva Keskinen (C)
Samuel Knazko (LD)
Nolan Lalonde (G)
Tyler Peddle (LW/C)
Mikael Pyyhtia (LW/C)
Luca Pinelli (C)
Guillaume Richard (LD)
Martin Rysavy (RW)
Melvin Strahl (G)
Andrew Strathmann (LD)
Robbie Stucker (RD)

Add votes as of tunnelvision:
Dolzhenkov - 8
Pyyhtia - 7
Ivanov - 6
Pinelli - 1
Fisher - 1
Richard - 1

Last edited:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Because his top end is just higher. Ldbb has been a PPG 2/3 seasons he's played in jr's. Malatesta only was this last season.

If he can translate his game LDBB could top out in the top 6 where as i don't think Malatesta gets out of the bottom 6

This. Though at this point it's all pretty close
LDBB is a fine prospect, but he doesn’t do anything exceptionally well. He’s just fine. Or “mid” as we say now.

Malatesta may not have exception skills but he has an exceptional motor that will probably carry him to nhl games if he can keep up with the skating.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
LDBB is a fine prospect, but he doesn’t do anything exceptionally well. He’s just fine. Or “mid” as we say now.

Malatesta may not have exception skills but he has an exceptional motor that will probably carry him to nhl games if he can keep up with the skating.

LDBB is younger, wears an A (no letter for the older more experienced Malatesta), has more points over the last two seasons even though he is younger, and plays a more valuable position. Yet you don’t know how people are voting him over Malatesta??? I get having your personal preference, but not even comprehending why people are voting for LDBB seems like a stretch. I think Dumais is the most overrated prospect we have, but I understand why people rated him so high.

Reactions: thebus88

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
LDBB is younger, wears an A (no letter for the older more experienced Malatesta), has more points over the last two seasons even though he is younger, and plays a more valuable position. Yet you don’t know how people are voting him over Malatesta??? I get having your personal preference, but not even comprehending why people are voting for LDBB seems like a stretch. I think Dumais is the most overrated prospect we have, but I understand why people rated him so high.
correct. The letter and position thing are nice, but the only clear advantage he has over Malatesta is size, and it’s not even by much. LDBB may be a better offensive player too, but does he have a toolkit to make the NHL? I have doubts. I think Malatesta will be an everyday NHL player.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
correct. The letter and position thing are nice, but the only clear advantage he has over Malatesta is size, and it’s not even by much. LDBB may be a better offensive player too, but does he have a toolkit to make the NHL? I have doubts. I think Malatesta will be an everyday NHL player.

Are you dense?

Last season, Del Bel Belluz was 19 for most of the season. He put up 87 points in 66 games from a more demanding position (center) and in the lower scoring OHL.

When Malatesta was 19 he put up 66 points in 55 games in the higher scoring Q.

Obviously, people seem to have fallen in love with Malatesta during the Memorial Cup run.

But if you can't see that a) LDBB is bigger, b) plays a more demanding position (and did so in in the OHL vs QMJHL), and c) scored at a higher rate at the same age as Malatesta, then I can't help you.

I can see arguments for both. I actually have them one spot apart. Certainly, CHL production is not the best all end all predictor of NHL success. But come on.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
McKown add Dolzhenkov.

I was leaning LDBB but McKown is only 15 months older than LDBB, not as much as I thought. And he's a much more pro ready player. We'd be happy if Luca is as good in a year.

I could have gone Pyyhtia over Dolzhenkov. I liked how smart Pyyhtia looked in the NHL and AHL games I watched, but the production doesn't foretell an impact player. Dolzhenkov at least has a puncher's chance, like all the giants do.

I'm staking out my spot in the Malatesta fan club (proven by the fact that I think I was the first person to vote to add him to poll and then the first one to vote for him in a poll).

I get that he isn't big and producing points as an age-out player in the Q isn't something that is that extraordinary. But, I've watched a lot of Memorial Cup games over the years and what he was able to accomplish in that tourney this year, as well as the Q playoffs, was something that I was damn impressed by. 19 goals in 22 playoff games in major juniors? There's a very short list of people who can claim similar big-game production at that age.

He's got the fire that I think will allow him to carve out a nice little NHL career even though he doesn't have the physical talents that others have on this list.

Physical talent is the one thing that Malatesta has. He's crazy strong, he can bull his way to the net (at least against juniors) and whack pucks in. His puck talent is what he doesn't have.

He is the ideal player prototype for the new, less physical, faster NHL. He's a top 8 prospect in the organization regardless of this forum's votes.

People are knocking him for his height? Let's look at other sub 5'10 players like Yanni Gourde, Jared Spurgeon, Gaudreau, Cole Caufield, Cam Atkinson, JAM, Brad Marchand before we write him off.

Malatesta doesn't play like any of them. That's the problem. I could maybe see him making it as a part-time role player but he doesn't have half the skill of any of those guys. His passing game would make him hard to play with, he'd have to work as the finisher on his line.

I can totally see the appeal of Mckown so I’m not mad if people pick him (even if I disagree).

There is no debate about the others though. How LDBB is getting picked over him I will never know

Luca has first round caliber puck skills. And he also just had good playoff scoring, though nothing eye popping. Luca is also 6 months younger FWIW. A little bit more runway. I'm not bullish on him but I'd take him a bit ahead of Malatesta, who is more of a lower upside case.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Are you dense?

Last season, Del Bel Belluz was 19 for most of the season. He put up 87 points in 66 games from a more demanding position (center) and in the lower scoring OHL.

When Malatesta was 19 he put up 66 points in 55 games in the higher scoring Q.

Obviously, people seem to have fallen in love with Malatesta during the Memorial Cup run.

But if you can't see that a) LDBB is bigger, b) plays a more demanding position (and did so in in the OHL vs QMJHL), and c) scored at a higher rate at the same age as Malatesta, then I can't help you.

I can see arguments for both. I actually have them one spot apart. Certainly, CHL production is not the best all end all predictor of NHL success. But come on.

I think this overstates some things (and is needlessly insulting).

Malatesta is actually the bigger stronger player, he's just shorter. He's about six months older. And the scoring levels in the Q are about the same in the O these days (I think, I haven't been able to find good stats on that and I'm not doing the math now).

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Based on what? Because if it’s production, that’s not true. If it’s based on draft position, it’s again not true. But maybe it’s true on vibes.

Uhhh I'm basing all my votes on vibes. :laugh:
1691105840562.jpeg

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio

You literally said you cannot understand why someone would vote for LDBB ahead of Malatesta. “How LDBB is getting picked over him I will never know.” That is what I have a problem with. Plenty of people have given reasons.

Anyway, I think arguing over these guys is pretty stupid. I have LDBB ranked 7th which I personally think means he has the best chance to be an NHLer that probably doesn’t move the needle on this team. I have Malatesta 10th. Again, I can see him as an NHLer, but I don’t think he’ll ever be a difference maker.

I think we have 2 studs (Fantilli, Jiricek), 4 more prospects that might be important contributors to make this team a playoff caliber team if they can reach their potential (Mateychuk, Voronkov, Ceulemans, Brindley), and then a bunch of guys who could end up with Emil Bemstrom type careers. I don’t think having a bunch of potential mediocre 3rd line wings is that great. I see people talking about what great depth we have in our prospects, but I see a bunch of potential mediocrity. Other than the long shot of Dolzhenkhov putting it all together, we don’t have a lot in the pipeline after the first few guys that gets me too excited.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
You literally said you cannot understand why someone would vote for LDBB ahead of Malatesta. “How LDBB is getting picked over him I will never know.” That is what I have a problem with. Plenty of people have given reasons.
Good.

The whole point of this is so people actually talk and validate their opinions. These threads are at their boringest (imo. Also yes that’s now a word.) when everyone just says their vote and an add. Was trying to add some discussion by stirring it up a bit.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Good.

The whole point of this is so people actually talk and validate their opinions. These threads are at their boringest (imo. Also yes that’s now a word.) when everyone just says their vote and an add. Was trying to add some discussion by stirring it up a bit.

I think part of why they are boring is who we are drafting. Woohoo. Let’s vote between an undersized offensive left D or an undersized wing who puts up good numbers in Canadian juniors doing things he could never do in the NHL. It gets more interesting if we are voting between guys who are longer shots to pan out but if we hit on them they could really have an impact - like voting between Dillon Heatherington and Josh Anderson.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I don't think our prospects from #9 to #20 are an exceptional group. Like for most teams, most of these guys won't make it. But chances are a couple of them will. If you go back to our lists from ~2014, where were Bjorkstrand, and Josh Anderson, and Korpisalo and Forsberg ranked? Probably pretty low. It's exciting to think about who might surprise us this time.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Good.

By this, I want to clarify that I meant saying things like "I cant believe ___ is over ___." Not these polls themselves. Was just looking to add some dialogue to add some flare to the polls

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
I think part of why they are boring is who we are drafting. Woohoo. Let’s vote between an undersized offensive left D or an undersized wing who puts up good numbers in Canadian juniors doing things he could never do in the NHL. It gets more interesting if we are voting between guys who are longer shots to pan out but if we hit on them they could really have an impact - like voting between Dillon Heatherington and Josh Anderson.
Yes it would be super exciting for all of us if we traded Mateychuk for Maverick Lamoureux and Dumais for Brady Cleveland and then have a debate on which is a better pick in poll #10.

add Ivanov

Last edited:

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
So as long as the players were debating are big guys, it’s all good?

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
I've come away from this as being pretty impressed who the CBJ have been drafting - we're at 10 and there's still players that I think could be NHLers.

Reactions: Viqsi

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
So as long as the players were debating are big guys, it’s all good?

Not necessarily, but I am looking at guys that might be difference makers or might have good trade value. Smaller offensive left D and small wings rarely are difference makers or have trade value.

I've come away from this as being pretty impressed who the CBJ have been drafting - we're at 10 and there's still players that I think could be NHLers.

We have this problem that we can find plenty of guys who are legit NHL players, but we don’t find difference makers. Jarmo is a master at finding underrated guys who can play — Robinson, Danforth, etc. McKown looks like the latest example. My issue is he isn’t swinging for the fences. We don’t need more mediocre but legit NHL players.

I’d trade Dumais for Brady Cleveland in a heartbeat. If Brady Cleveland hits, you have a guy with serious value. At playoff time who doesn’t want a 6’5” defensive left D? That is the kind of guy we’d be looking to find at the deadline if we are looking like a playoff team in a few years with Werenski, Mateychuk, and Svozil on the left side. Every commentator in the world will say something like “The CBJ should be looking to add some size and toughness on the left side if they want to make a deep playoff run. Playoff hockey is different than regular season hockey.”

Plenty of people on this board think a problem with this team is we have too many middle 6 wings. I am one of those people. I find it hard to get excited about guys like Malatesta or Dumais when they are not what we really need. We need centers, we need guys who can seriously play defense, and we need goalies. I have a hard time getting excited about a lot of our prospects even though I think they plenty of them have a decent shot of making it to the NHL.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I think we have 2 studs (Fantilli, Jiricek), 4 more prospects that might be important contributors to make this team a playoff caliber team if they can reach their potential (Mateychuk, Voronkov, Ceulemans, Brindley), and then a bunch of guys who could end up with Emil Bemstrom type careers. I don’t think having a bunch of potential mediocre 3rd line wings is that great. I see people talking about what great depth we have in our prospects, but I see a bunch of potential mediocrity. Other than the long shot of Dolzhenkhov putting it all together, we don’t have a lot in the pipeline after the first few guys that gets me too excited.

Honestly I don't think anyone would say the CBJ have great prospect pool depth without the 2 studs at the top. They push everyone down creating the "depth" and most other teams don't have those 2 studs. At least not that caliber of stud. Imagine if Mateychuk was our #1 prospect.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00