Prospect Info: HFCBJ 2022 Summer Prospect Rankings: #9

Who is the best prospect of these 5?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Richard add Dolzhenkov

Svozil, add Dolzhenkov. See previous thread as to why Dolzhenkov (short version: I think the skating is correctable). I had to flip a coin between Svozil and Richard.

I'll make the case for Richard over Svozil. Both players had strong seasons last year but Richard is doing it at a higher level of play. And his frame and skating look more projectable to the NHL, he just has to fill out. Svozil has some intriguing upside but he has to get significantly quicker and stronger and might not have the easiest path to do that.

Reactions: cslebn and LJ7

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
Yep, those are the guys I was thinking of (less so Dunne, since his NHL experience was just at the end of the 2021 season).

Meyer I'm not too surprised about. He turns 25 in a couple weeks and pretty rarely is there any upside to a guy that old already. A nice AHL player who you can plug into the NHL lineup for 5-10 games if a bunch of injuries occur.

TFW's injury cut short his '20-'21 campaign. He was...idk...ok? in 6 NHL games last year. He's 23 and so again, we kind of get into the development curve discussion. 33 points in 53 games with Cleveland last year isn't too bad.

Christiansen is only 22 (turns 23 next month) and has shown a lot of offensive ability from the blue line. I think the concern is his play in the D zone.

I'd really have to defer to those who watch the Monsters more closely on those guys (and Dunne and Angle) in terms of their probability of becoming NHLers.

I'm betting Christiansen gets pinched in a number game. Injuries this year is probably his best shot to show he can stick. Otherwise I bet he moves orgs

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
On a side note, I was very hesitant on hiring Larsen as the head coach but I can see why the players really like him. He seems like a good guy that people really want to play for. His logic is solid and believable when he talks about his relationship with his players.

Yes.

Depends who you ask.

If I were a multi-millionaire many times over, few places I would rather end up in than Columbus, Ohio, to be honest.

I’m not making no f***ing lines that don’t include Ollie. Yeah I said it. I’ll get over it but not today.

f***ing idiots at The Athletic.

If face offs is the thing, maybe Vermette, who I think was mentioned, is your guy. He could also score.

You don’t think Sedlak is getting 60 points in the NHL?? :sarcasm:

I think the skill is there, but is probably going to take some adjusting. I don’t expect him to perform like Buchnevich did this year, but I think 0.5PPG in the NHL is achievable for Kirill in year 1.

Svozil being really underrated on our board.

Foudy, who appears to be the most underrated Jackets prospect

add Dumais
Only one of them is going to be more underrated than the other when this poll is done.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Only one of them is going to be more underrated than the other when this poll is done.
I think Svozil is being fairly rated. I have Foudy several slots higher.

I think Foudy’s injuries are being held against him more than Tarasov’s injuries or Blankenburg’s injuries are being held against them. Tarasov is kind of boom or bust in my opinion. Blankenburg looked good in his short time in Columbus, but he was injured before the last game and then injured again in the World Championships. He is a small guy that hits people, blocks shots, and plays the game the right way. As I have said before, I wonder if he’ll have to change his game (and lose his edge) or constantly hurt himself because he is a small guy playing a tough guy role. I like Marchenko but he is starting to get overhyped. I think LDBB and Blankenburg are getting the shiny new toy treatment. I know he has graduated, but I wonder where Chinakhov would go in this poll.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
I think Svozil is being fairly rated. I have Foudy several slots higher.

I think Foudy’s injuries are being held against him more than Tarasov’s injuries or Blankenburg’s injuries are being held against them. Tarasov is kind of boom or bust in my opinion. Blankenburg looked good in his short time in Columbus, but he was injured before the last game and then injured again in the World Championships. He is a small guy that hits people, blocks shots, and plays the game the right way. As I have said before, I wonder if he’ll have to change his game (and lose his edge) or constantly hurt himself because he is a small guy playing a tough guy role. I like Marchenko but he is starting to get overhyped. I think LDBB and Blankenburg are getting the shiny new toy treatment. I know he has graduated, but I wonder where Chinakhov would go in this poll.
FWIW, if we were able to include Silly and Chinny in the poll, the top of my list would be:

1) Jiricek
2) Johnson
3) Sillinger
4) Mateychuk
5) Marchenko
6) Chinakov
7) Ceulemans

After those 7 (and perhaps Tarasov) there is a big drop off in my mind. But I believe having Chinakov at 6 is more of a sign of having a lot of really good prospects than it is anything about him.

Reactions: koteka

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Yep, those are the guys I was thinking of (less so Dunne, since his NHL experience was just at the end of the 2021 season).

Meyer I'm not too surprised about. He turns 25 in a couple weeks and pretty rarely is there any upside to a guy that old already. A nice AHL player who you can plug into the NHL lineup for 5-10 games if a bunch of injuries occur.

TFW's injury cut short his '20-'21 campaign. He was...idk...ok? in 6 NHL games last year. He's 23 and so again, we kind of get into the development curve discussion. 33 points in 53 games with Cleveland last year isn't too bad.

Christiansen is only 22 (turns 23 next month) and has shown a lot of offensive ability from the blue line. I think the concern is his play in the D zone.

I'd really have to defer to those who watch the Monsters more closely on those guys (and Dunne and Angle) in terms of their probability of becoming NHLers.
Dunne, Meyer and TFW seem to me like good organizational depth guys, maybe even what you’d consider AAAA, who can handle a role in a call-up situation and you don’t hate it.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
just in case any one needs some persuading, as its tied RN...

Clutch goal in the NHL play-in round

uses his speed to get a shot on a 1 on 3 and then back checks to free the puck and regain possession.

i mean TSN had its own segment on him after the loss to CBJ in the playoffs...

not only can he create offensive opportunities, hes prevents them using his speed on a stellar PK shift for Team Canada.

clutch goal in OT. Backchecked and in good position to pressure his man prevent a shot on the breakaway and then takes off to create a 2 on 1 and instead of staring the goaltender down, he stares down the pass and then blows it by him.

Last edited:

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Foudy, who appears to be the most underrated Jackets prospect

add Dumais
Just like we wouldn't want a coach or GM giving a player a spot they haven't earned simply based on draft position, fans shouldn't vote for a guy based on draft position either.

He's got dazzling speed but hasn't shown any other NHL skills. Personally I think Foudy's ceiling is average third line wing who can maybe kill penalties. And I don't have great confidence he will reach that ceiling. Since he hasn't come close to playing a full season in four years I'm guessing they should place a plaque on his seat in the press box in Cleveland yet again.

I really hope he proves me wrong but I'm not holding my breath. Until he does anything he ain't done squat since turning pro. There's a reason prospects keep jumping him and every year his window to the NHL seems to get smaller.

I am hopeful a few of the players still on the list have higher ceilings and more likeliness of reaching it.

:popcorn:

Reactions: Halberdier

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
BTW, I voted for Dimi. I think his physical style of play with his net presence and willingness to run people over mid-ice will translate well in the NHL and he will look nice on that third line. He's probably never going to be a 20-25 goal scorer but he doesn't have to in order to have a successful NHL career.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
He's got dazzling speed but hasn't shown any other NHL skills. Personally I think Foudy's ceiling is average third line wing who can maybe kill penalties.

I think he has shown decent defensive awareness and skills. In the awful 2020-21 season, he was decent defensively. He hasn't shown he can score goals, but neither have several other young guys. He was getting plenty of assists in the AHL a couple of seasons ago.

Reactions: MissADD

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I think he has shown decent defensive awareness and skills. In the awful 2020-21 season, he was decent defensively. He hasn't shown he can score goals, but neither have several other young guys. He was getting plenty of assists in the AHL a couple of seasons ago.
You are referring to the 2020-2021 AHL season. That was the NHL's "taxi squad" season when all of the best AHL players were traveling and practicing with the parent clubs and not playing AHL games. IOW Foudy showed off some offensive skill vs a watered down AHL.

Even Tyler Angle and Carson .Meyer were scoring big that season in the AHL. Where are those two guys on your prospect rankings? And Meyer flashed more in his time in the NHL than Foudy did.

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
You are referring to the 2020-2021 AHL season. That was the NHL's "taxi squad" season when all of the best AHL players were traveling and practicing with the parent clubs and not playing AHL games. IOW Foudy showed off some offensive skill vs a watered down AHL.

Even Tyler Angle and Carson .Meyer were scoring big that season in the AHL. Where are those two guys on your prospect rankings? And Meyer flashed more in his time in the NHL than Foudy did.
Its not his fault that he played a watered down AHL, so he did was he was supposed to do. He was also on the CBJ taxi squad so he was able to dish out assists like that w/o really getting settled. Plus everything between March of 2020 and October of 2021 was a mess. Foudy, along with many other prospects, have had their development screwed up because of it. Foudy himself has only played in 76 games since March 2020 40% of which came this past season. Meyer on the other hand was settled in the AHL for 2 full season before making his NHL debut last season so his development wasn't as hampered as Foudy's was. Don't write off Foudy because of things out of his control. With everything that has happened, where his is isn't a bad spot

Reactions: koteka

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Its not his fault that he played a watered down AHL, so he did was he was supposed to do. He was also on the CBJ taxi squad so he was able to dish out assists like that w/o really getting settled. Plus everything between March of 2020 and October of 2021 was a mess. Foudy, along with many other prospects, have had their development screwed up because of it. Foudy himself has only played in 76 games since March 2020 40% of which came this past season. Meyer on the other hand was settled in the AHL for 2 full season before making his NHL debut last season so his development wasn't as hampered as Foudy's was. Don't write off Foudy because of things out of his control. With everything that has happened, where his is isn't a bad spot
1) I never said it was Foudy's fault he played in a watered down AHL. Not even necessarily his fault he keeps suffering long rehab injuries. Just saying its hard to look at stats playing in a watered down league and give them as much weight as if he'd done it in a full strength AHL.

2) Meyer played 26 games in the AHL in the 2020-2021 pandemic shortened season. I suppose it was officially a full season but that's a technicality...it was just 26 games. Then he played 2/3 of a full AHL season before being promoted to Columbus. "2 full seasons" is a bit of a stretch. And Carson has played a whopping 96 games over that same time as Foudy's 76 games.

3) However you could argue Meyer debuted as a 24 year old while Foudy's NHL time was when he was 20 years old.

All the arguments for Foudy sound like excuses. I will restate what I intended to state earlier. Draft status means nothing and performance means everything. IMO, at this point Foudy has shown nothing that makes me think he's anything more than JAG with speed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad