Prospect Info: HFCBJ 2022 Summer Prospect Rankings: #15

Which of these 5 is the best prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
He went maybe a bit high. But are we that confident that he has zero shot of making it?
No, there is definitely a chance he makes it. I should have been more precise there. Started my post on the premise of "no future in the NHL" only to illustrate the point that there still could be good reasons to vote for him.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
No, there is definitely a chance he makes it. I should have been more precise there. Started my post on the premise of "no future in the NHL" only to illustrate the point that there still could be good reasons to vote for him.
*I* have a zero percent chance of making it. His odds are slightly better.

DougKnowsBest

Feb 6, 2004
Newark, Ohio
Everyone sleeping on Aidan Hreschuk is going to be eating they $13 dirty eBay cbj hat.

Fr fr no cap bussin

191F87DF-DAD1-4C34-A0C3-B14C857E5B5D.png

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Add Makarov

Still stumped by the Dumais love. Granted, we're talking the middle of our prospect group but I just don't buy into a small guy that's a perimeter player and isn't a great skater. Just doesn't feel like an NHL future even with high end IQ. That's just me complaining so I fit in with this group. :D
It's the chl sportsman of the year award for me
Some notable winners include :
Robertson, Suzuki, Girard, Reinhart, Stone, and Carter.

:sarcasm:

But seriously, with his scoring ability, he's always a threat to make it. He just has to push through some adversity(his size), so there's not a large change he makes it... But if he does I expect a big boom. We just signed a small kid who went late who didn't really have a chance to make it either...

Reactions: LJ7 and majormajor

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Add Makarov

Still stumped by the Dumais love. Granted, we're talking the middle of our prospect group but I just don't buy into a small guy that's a perimeter player and isn't a great skater. Just doesn't feel like an NHL future even with high end IQ. That's just me complaining so I fit in with this group. :D
He did just score over 100 points in the CHL. Even if he was on a stacked team that’s nothing to sneeze at. He’d probably be a near top 5 prospect on some other teams.

Reactions: Viqsi

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
He did just score over 100 points in the CHL. Even if he was on a stacked team that’s nothing to sneeze at. He’d probably be a near top 5 prospect on some other teams.

Including the Jackets a few years ago after we traded such top prospects as Abramov and Davidsson to the Senators for Duchene.

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Add Makarov

Sure Dumais has a lot of work to do, but if he puts it all together he'll be an impactful top 6 player.

What's the ceiling for the rest? Looks like a bunch of replacement level 3rd pair Dmen to me. Dolz is the exception, but he has just as much work to do as Dumais to be a NHLer.

High risk player with top 6 ceiling > Medium risk player with 3rd pair ceiling

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Dumais could either become one of the best players on the team or a TJ Tynan type guy who barely see's NHL ice time but could be a producer in lower leagues. Hes got unreal passing ability and vision but also anyone at that size is going to be fighting an uphill battle. If his skating improves some more it would go a long way in improving his outlook as a legit NHL prospect. The Mooseheads have been good at pumping out stars for awhile now, I hope Dumais is the next one.

I like seeing those smaller guys make it though, always have a chip on their shoulders so when they do make it a lot of them end up being a special player because of the mentality and the skills they develop to get by without the size

Reactions: Viqsi

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
For the record, I don't think I said I didn't think Dumais had a chance, I just don't agree with him being considered above others that have more desirable traits (not just size) and what appears to be a higher probability of contributing. To be fair, I think he's another good prospect in the pipeline of a deep pipeline but I see a perimeter player that's very small and not apparently willing to go to the high traffic areas but has a great hockey IQ (that's a big plus). I put TFW above him in my mind. If he doesn't make it as a scorer, he isn't going to make it and I think that's a big if. Whereas others can contribute in other ways if not scorers. Again, just an opinion. I hope he does make it. Time will tell. Just a little surprised with his placement in our middle prospect group.

Reactions: tunnelvision

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Add Makarov

From Scott Wheeler (I copied and pasted from 1st Ohio Battery article): Blue Jackets Prospect Report: The Answers To Your Questions About Kent Johnson, David Jiricek, Denton Mateychuk, And Jordan Dumais

"I love (Dumais') game," Wheeler said. "The knock on (Dumais) was that he's five-eight and his skating stride looks a little clunky. It looks a little awkward. And when you're small and slow, teams typically write you off and I think the beauty of his game is that he's not slow. It might look weird, but he is not slow. I spoke a lot with the people in Halifax about him over the course of that season.

"He led that team in scoring. He led that team in takeaways. He led that team in retrievals. He was their best player along the wall. He won all his races. The little details that you maybe don't expect out of a smaller player, they're all there and I think that elevates him in a way because he's got the skill offensively. He's going to make plays in the offensive zone. He's dangerous. He's creative. There's some cleverness to his game.

"All of that is great. Really high grades. One of the smartest players in the draft. He won the CHL's Most Sportsmanlike Player award this year.

"There are just a lot of little things to like about him. And I think because of the concerns about the skating and size, he was just overlooked by default and teams didn't do enough due diligence on how he was creating all those points he scored. This is a kid who had the most productive draft-eligible season in the QMJHL since Sidney Crosby.

"This was a very, very impressive year for a 17-year-old. He had 109 points. That does not happen often in the ‘Q’. At least not for players that age.

"So yeah, just an impressive, impressive player, and I ran into him in St. John. He was at the CHL awards in St. John when I was there, for the Memorial Cup to accept the Most Sportsmanlike award, and he looked bigger than five-eight as well. At least just in terms of running into him. I'm five-foot-ten, five-foot-ten and a half and I don't think he was much shorter than me.

"So I think he might actually be an inch taller than five-eight at this point. So we'll see, but I'm a big fan. Love that pick. That was one of my favorite day two picks."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad