HFBoards TOP 75 Prospects Ranking #45 (closed)

• K.Miller, D - NYR

• H.Lapierre, C- WSH

• K.Marchenko, LW - CLB

• E.Tolvanen, RW - NSH

• C.Foote, D - TBL

• C.Zary, C - CGY

• A.Kaliyev, RW - LAK

• D.Mercer, C - NJD

• R.Merkley, D - SJS

• J.Veleno, C - DET

• L.Brown, C - OTT

• P.Tomasino, C - NSH

• C.York, D - PHI

• N.Hoglander, LW - VAN

• V.Heinola, D - WPG

• A.Formenton, LW - OTT

• K.Guhle, D - MTL

• A.Beckman, LW - MIN

• J.Jenik, C - ARI

• M.Frost, C - PHI

• D.Holloway, C - EDM

• M.Boldy, LW - MIN

• C.Timmins, D - COL

• J.Studnicka, C - BOS

• J.Bean, D - CAR

• T.Harley, D - DAL

• L.Elvenes, C - VGK

• S.Fagemo, RW - LA

• other

Results are only viewable after voting.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
comparing KHL stats at age 18-19 is useless... youre talking about a league where Nigel Dawes is top 5 in scoring every year.

Denisenko shoudve gone higher, hes top 20 on almost every list Ive seen (not including 2020 picks). Nothing against Amirov, but hes was ranked around 15-20th pre draft.

Your sense of him being "top 20 on almost every list", I'm not finding very persuasive. The lists could be wrong, or could be old news for all I know. It's also not intuitive to me that being 20th before the 2020 class came along would make you clearly better than someone drafted 15th in 2020.

Nothing against Amirov, but hes was ranked around 15-20th pre draft. Amirov, Mercer, Zary, Holloway, Guhle, Lapierre are all interchangeable.

the KHL is too difficult a league to judge young players, imo... you can be a Kuznetsov/Panarin or you can be a Nikita Filatov/Shipashyov.

Difficult if you're a bean counter. You watch them like any prospect and make your own judgment. Amirov just looked darn good to me in the first couple of games of the Karjala Cup and came away sharing MVP honors.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
We need our Russians to make a list for us. @Caser , @SoundAndFury , @Atas2000

Among Kravtsov, Amirov, Podkolzin, Marchenko, Denisenko, and anyone else you want to mention, who are the best prospects for NHL purposes?

I'm sort of assuming my boys Voronkov and Chinakhov will be on the bottom of that group. Anyone else above them?

Reactions: Howe Elbows 9

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
We need our Russians to make a list for us. @Caser , @SoundAndFury , @Atas2000

Among Kravtsov, Amirov, Podkolzin, Marchenko, Denisenko, and anyone else you want to mention, who are the best prospects for NHL purposes?

I'm sort of assuming my boys Voronkov and Chinakhov will be on the bottom of that group. Anyone else above them?

Add in @Kshahdoo he’s pretty informed with Russian players as well.

Reactions: majormajor

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Your sense of him being "top 20 on almost every list", I'm not finding very persuasive. The lists could be wrong, or could be old news for all I know. It's also not intuitive to me that being 20th before the 2020 class came along would make you clearly better than someone drafted 15th in 2020.

4 different lists... Im pretty sure theyve probably watched him more than most

#2 (yes thats too high, from Jan 2020) Russian players dominate top spots in TSN’s ranking of NHL-affiliated prospects - TSN.ca
#8 Ranking the Top 25 Prospects Around the NHL
#11 https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-top-100-prospects-ranking/
#17 LNH: les 50 meilleurs espoirs repêchés - TVA Sports

Difficult if you're a bean counter. You watch them like any prospect and make your own judgment. Amirov just looked darn good to me in the first couple of games of the Karjala Cup and came away sharing MVP honors.
and Im sure someone whos watched enough of the aforementioned would say they all looked darn good as well. I believe you and anyone who says Amirov has looked good in the early season, but that doesnt mean hes moved up higher passed the others based on a good (not great) start in the K. Its a small sample size.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
4 different lists... Im pretty sure theyve probably watched him more than most

#2 (yes thats too high, from Jan 2020) Russian players dominate top spots in TSN’s ranking of NHL-affiliated prospects - TSN.ca
#8 Ranking the Top 25 Prospects Around the NHL
#11 https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-top-100-prospects-ranking/
#17 LNH: les 50 meilleurs espoirs repêchés - TVA Sports

and Im sure someone whos watched enough of the aforementioned would say they all looked darn good as well. I believe you and anyone who says Amirov has looked good in the early season, but that doesnt mean hes moved up higher passed the others based on a good (not great) start in the K. Its a small sample size.

I'm not sure what role sample size plays in this comparison. Denisenko and Amirov were drafted in the same draft position, and neither player has distinguished themselves yet in the KHL. Both standout more in international play (where I've seen them). Perhaps Denisenko is better than Amirov but they aren't separated to my mind in terms of their skillset and it's not like there is a weight of evidence and experience behind Denisenko. In other words, there's no "moving up" or "moving past", it's two guys with comparable skills and performance.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Tomasinos been building a lot of hype lately. If you were to pick either him or McMichael to have the better career, who would you choose? Both very promising prospects

LaMasquerade

Mar 11, 2018
Tampere
Heinola didn't have super great start to this season, but is doing great now. Also he showed already last season that he can play in NHL, so this time my vote goes to him.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
This. Samorukov is universally as our 4th best prospect.

His KHL performance thus far for the legendary CSKA team (the old Soviet Red Army team) is pretty impressive. I know they’ve had some roster turnover recently giving him this opportunity, but he’s still making the most of it.

26-2-6-8 and +20 are damn good boxcars for a young D man in the KHL.

That +20 puts him 2nd in the league in that category.

Pretty good for his rookie season in the KHL.

Reactions: snipes

Howe Elbows 9

Sep 16, 2007
Sweden
Some of my favorite prospects at this point: Harley, Heinola, Bean, Tomasino, Höglander, Marchenko, Boldy and Kaliyev.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Kaprizov too old for this list? I d put him ahead of Rossi.

edit. nevermind, he turned 23 this summer.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
I feel like at this point its less of a prospect ranking and more of a fan base size ranking. Everyone is out here voting for their teams best remaining prospect.

I suppose it's always been like that, but with so much ambiguity outside of the top 10 or 20 it's much more pronounces than it used to be.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
That +20 puts him 2nd in the league in that category.

Pretty good for his rookie season in the KHL.

He's a beast, plus I love his physicality. He'll be a good D partner for our more offensive minded D prospects. I've always thought once they became established pros that he'd be a good partner for Bouchard down the road with his solid two way play and commitments to playing tough D in his own zone. He looks and hits like a middle linebacker in football.

Playing those types of minutes for a powerhouse franchise like CSKA very positive for his development.

Samorukov should definitely be on the to be added list.

Reactions: Llamamoto

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Kirill Marchenko's upside is drawing some lofty comparisons, from Sportsnet's article on 10 players playing in Europe:

" “This kid looks like he may be [Vladimir] Tarasenko,” said the scout, referencing St. Louis’s Russian sniper. "

That kind of upside is just not something that Ville Heinola or K'Andre Miller have, and probably not Dylan Holloway either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad