HFBoards TOP 50 Prospects Ranking #44 (closed)

• K.Miller, D - NYR

• H.Lapierre, C- WSH

• K.Marchenko, LW - CLB

• E.Tolvanen, RW - NSH

• C.Foote, D - TBL

• C.Zary, C - CGY

• A.Kaliyev, RW - LAK

• D.Mercer, C - NJD

• R.Merkley, D - SJS

• R.Amirov, LW - TOR

• L.Brown, C - OTT

• P.Tomasino, C - NSH

• C.York, D - PHI

• N.Hoglander, LW - VAN

• V.Heinola, D - WPG

• A.Formenton, LW - OTT

• K.Guhle, D - MTL

• A.Beckman, LW - MIN

• J.Jenik, C - ARI

• M.Frost, C - PHI

• D.Holloway, C - EDM

• M.Boldy, LW - MIN

• T.Dellandrea, C - DAL

• J.Studnicka, C - BOS

• J.Bean, D - CAR

• T.Harley, D - DAL

• L.Elvenes, C - VGK

• O.Wahlstrom, RW - NYI

• other

Results are only viewable after voting.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I remember he was supposed to go top 20 in the draft.... I never understood why he fell. The Russian factor?

He fell because of the same questions I just asked. People doubt that he'll work hard enough because he hadn't seemed to work hard at anything at the Jr. level. He was either an instant talent or he didn't try and failed. Historically speaking, a lot of busts come from that profile.

What I'm more curious about is whether those views have changed somewhat over the last year. I've heard that Kaliyev has rounded out a bit. He was fine at the WJC. I'm not sure how much stock to put in that.

Reactions: amnesiac

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
He's American.
He is American, but he was born in Uzbekistan.
The Russian factor here was that there were questions of how old he really was. There were rumors out there that he was actually at least one year older.

I don't know if you are a baseball fan, but there have been numerous occasions were Dominican players were found out to be years older

Last edited:

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
He is American, but he was born in from Uzbekistan.
The Russian factor here was that there were questions of how old he really was. There were rumors out there that he was actually at least one year older.

I don't know if you are a baseball fan, but there have been numerous occasions were Dominican players were found out to be years older

In this case (and probably most) the rumour is just preposterous bigotry. Nobody lies about the age of a toddler expecting him to one day grow up into a hockey player.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
He is American, but he was born in from Uzbekistan.

There was a similar controversy with the basketball player Ersan İlyasova, where he was supposedly an Uzbek born slightly older player named Arsen Ilyasov who disappeared. There was a lot behind that theory, I've never heard anything compelling about Kaliyev's age. I just think it's interesting that both involve Uzbekistan.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
In this case (and probably most) the rumour is just preposterous bigotry. Nobody lies about the age of a toddler expecting him to one day grow up into a hockey player.

I don't think that's the theory, is it? It probably is false but doubtfully so preposterous. The idea is probably that people forge birth certificates after the player is already adolescent.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I don't think that's the theory, is it? It probably is false but doubtfully so preposterous. The idea is probably that people forge birth certificates after the player is already adolescent.

I never heard of it until a few minutes ago, but he's from a Muslim country and immigrated to New York post-9/11. There is a zero percent chance he got into the country with any forged legal documents.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
I don't agree with the practice, I was merely answering the question.

There are more details about it here if anyone is interested

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
To be clear, I'm not accusing you of being bigoted. Originating as some Reddit conspiracy theory certainly doesn't give it any amount of credence.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I don't agree with the practice, I was merely answering the question.

There are more details about it here if anyone is interested

The Russian-born vs Uzbek-born thing is probably simple enough. Ethnic Russians from other former Soviet states often say they are from Russia. I had a doctor once who was from the far side of Ukraine near the Polish border, who said he was from Russia.

I can't figure out why the Hamilton paper says he was born in Staten Island?

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
The Russian-born vs Uzbek-born thing is probably simple enough. Ethnic Russians from other former Soviet states often say they are from Russia. I had a doctor once who was from the far side of Ukraine near the Polish border, who said he was from Russia.

I can't figure out why the Hamilton paper says he was born in Staten Island?
Journalists have become increasing lazy, many do zero research now.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
There was a similar controversy with the basketball player Ersan İlyasova, where he was supposedly an Uzbek born slightly older player named Arsen Ilyasov who disappeared. There was a lot behind that theory, I've never heard anything compelling about Kaliyev's age. I just think it's interesting that both involve Uzbekistan.
This stuff always makes me think of that Immigrant from Sudan who came to canada at 17 and became a highschool basketball star. Then it turned out he was like 30 or something and was just dominating kids in highschool :laugh:

Reactions: 780il

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
This stuff always makes me think of that Immigrant from Sudan who came to canada at 17 and became a highschool basketball star. Then it turned out he was like 30 or something and was just dominating kids in highschool :laugh:

One can dream. I'm 36 and past my prime but I can outmuscle 15 year old hockey players. Just need to explain away the beard. :laugh:

Ricklongisland

May 31, 2016
New York
You’re thinking of Thon Maker. He insists his birth certificate is correct but most people think he’s full of crap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad