HFBoards TOP 50 Prospects Ranking #24 (closed)

• S.Edvinsson - DET

• V.Kravtsov - NYR

• N.Robertson - TOR

• P.Broberg - EDM

• S.Pinto - OTT

• D.Guenther - ARI

• V.Podkolzin - VAN

• C.York - PHI

• A.Holtz - NJD

• D.Holloway - EDM

• C.McMichael - WSH

• T.Harley - DAL

• V.Heinola - WPG

• J.Quinn - BUF

• V.Soderstrom - ARI

• D.Mercer - NJD

• S.Jarvis - CAR

• P.Tomasino - NSH

• A.Kaliyev - LAK

• C.Addison - MIN

• K.Johnson - CLB

• T.Foerster - PHI

• other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Quinnisinoverhishead

Oct 4, 2014
It's 9 months age difference between Holloway and McMichael. Whether you think that is important or not is up to you, but it is not the same age.
Harley was born in August of 2001. Holloway was born in September of 2001. Tomasino was born in July of 2001. Seider was born in April of 2001. Hughes was born in May 2001. McMichael was born in January of 2001. Who is the same age in your eyes? Where is your cut off? Just because the NHL has a weird cut off date - doesn't mean it's right. Hockey in Canada starts 4 years after your birth year. They all started in September of 2005 (If they started right away). College hockey, juniors and high school hockey look at birth year not birth month.
Holloway is not eligible for World Juniors next year just like everyone that was drafted the previous year.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Harley was born in August of 2001. Holloway was born in September of 2001. Tomasino was born in July of 2001. Seider was born in April of 2001. Hughes was born in May 2001. McMichael was born in January of 2001. Who is the same age in your eyes? Where is your cut off? Just because the NHL has a weird cut off date - doesn't mean it's right. Hockey in Canada starts 4 years after your birth year. They all started in September of 2005 (If they started right away). College hockey, juniors and high school hockey look at birth year not birth month.
Holloway is not eligible for World Juniors next year just like everyone that was drafted the previous year.

9 months is 9 months. 1 month is 1 month. 4 months is 4 months. I don't know what you're trying to get at.

The year they started playing as kids doesn't factor in here.

We're talking about the mental and physical development of these players and how much of that runway they have left to takeoff. Holloway likely has more, perhaps 9 months more. It of course will vary greatly from player to player but given what we know Holloway will likely have more runway left.

Quinnisinoverhishead

Oct 4, 2014
9 months is 9 months. 1 month is 1 month. 4 months is 4 months. I don't know what you're trying to get at.

The year they started playing as kids doesn't factor in here.

We're talking about the mental and physical development of these players and how much of that runway they have left to takeoff. Holloway likely has more, perhaps 9 months more. It of course will vary greatly from player to player but given what we know Holloway will likely have more runway left.

I explained it pretty clearly. If you don't understand my point, that sounds like a "you" problem.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
You said that "McMichael and Jarvis put up similar numbers to Holloway's college numbers in the AHL this year". I get that they played in different leagues, but their point paces were nowhere near alike. (As it should be, given the disparity between the leagues). But you made it sounds like their AHL numbers were similar to Holloway's NCAA numbers. In regards to the WJC, Holloway was utilized in a defensive checking role and exceeded there.

I mean Holloway is 9 months younger and had one less developmental year, that doesn't count for nothing.

In response to "I don't know how you can say he jumped so many guys from his draft class alone, let alone others", his NCAA point totals are honestly enough to make a solid argument. His ppg this year was top-5 among NCAA U20 players in the last decade, ahead of guys like Gaudreau/Keller/Boeser and well ahead of guys like Boldy/Zegras.

This is flat out false. Holloway played against his fellow ‘01’s growing up. That’s how minor hockey works, players play with and against players in the same age group as them (January-December of their born year).

This can be confirmed by looking at the Canada u-17 team he played on. His peers aren’t Byfield, Drysdale and Perfetti. They’re Byram, Cozens and Ryan Suzuki.

Reactions: Llamamoto

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
This is flat out false. Holloway played against his fellow ‘01’s growing up. That’s how minor hockey works, players play with and against players in the same age group as them (January-December of their born year).

Yeah nvm that part, I know how minor hockey works. (I play).

What I meant is that Holloway hasn't had an opportunity to play at the professional level, unlike guys like Jarvis and McMichael. And what is flat out false is saying that their AHL numbers are similar to the numbers Holloway put up in the NCAA.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Yeah nvm that part, I know how minor hockey works. (I play).

What I meant is that Holloway hasn't had an opportunity to play at the professional level, unlike guys like Jarvis and McMichael. And what is flat out false is saying that their AHL numbers are similar to the numbers Holloway put up in the NCAA.
I wasn’t commenting on the whole comment when saying it’s false, just the what I bolded.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I explained it pretty clearly. If you don't understand my point, that sounds like a "you" problem.

Artificial age cutoffs don't matter here, we're talking about the biological development of young men and how much time they left in their mental and physical development. 9 months age difference is 9 months, regardless of whether they are born in the same calendar year.

I understood your argument, it was just wrong.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Literally click on who voted for Holloway, the majority either have an Oilers related name, an Oilers related avatar, or are located in Edmonton...I'm not kidding

It's the exact same scenario with Bouchard at #22, the same usernames.

Was the same last year as well when it was Broberg they voted in at #16, that worked out well. Rinse, repeat.

Reactions: Stewie Griffin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad