HFBoards TOP 50 Prospect Ranking: #8 (closed)

• Barrett Hayton - C

• Erik Brannstrom - D

• Evan Bouchard - D

• Cole Caufield - W

• Dylan Cozens - C

• Trevor Zegras - C

• Filip Zadina - W

• Martin Necas - C

• Eeli Tolvanen - W

• Kirill Kaprizov - W

• Adam Boqvist - D

• Jordan Kyrou - C

• Noah Dobson - D

• Cody Glass - C

• Kirby Dach - C

• Vasili Podkolzin - W

• Drake Batherson - W

• Lias Andersson - C

• Other (who?)

Results are only viewable after voting.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
That time of year.

Vote for who you think will be the best.

50 NHL GP or less, no goalies

1. Jack Hughes - C:devils142740
2. Kaapo Kakko - W:rangers152841
3. Cale Makar - D:avs162942
4. Bowen Byram - D:avs173043
5. Quinn Hughes - D:nucks183144
6. Alex Turcotte - C:kings193245
7. Vitali Kravtsov - W :rangers203346
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
to add:

Grigori Denisenko
Ryan Poehling
Alex Romanov
Matthew Boldy
Ty Smith
Oliver Wahlstrom
Jusso Valimaki
Philippe Myers
Morgan Frost
Peyton Krebs
Bode Wilde
Nick Suzuki
Troy Terry
Dante Fabbro
Gabe Vilardi
Aleksi Heponiemi
Philip Broberg
Adam Fox
Kristian Vesalainen
Rasmus Sandin
Joel Farabee
K'Andre Miller
Sami Niku

Last edited:

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Why is Cole Caufield listed and not the 6 guys taken before him in last weeks NHL Draft?

Would you really have taken: Seider, Broberg, and Soderstrom over Caufield?.... I think the top goalscorer of the draft should be up there

he was projected around Cozens, Krebs, Podkolzin, and Boldy if you look at most final rankings

Yes, I could put Krebs and Boldy, but I thought there were enough 2019 picks already up there right now

Last edited:

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
Give me Dobson or Dach here

Voted Dobson when id rather have Dach but oh well, though I dont see a need not to allow switching

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Not sure, but 3 NHL GMs in Yzerman, Holland and Chayka did, which is good enough for me.
Chayka is terrible to be fair. Guy drafted Hayton at #5 last year. Holland has also been borderline senile past few seasons. Yzerman, for as highly regarded as he is did have a bad draft record in Tampa.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Why is Cole Caufield listed and not the 6 guys taken before him in last weeks NHL Draft?

Because almost no one had those guys ahead of him before the draft? Why should where he was actually picked change anyone's mind? It's not like the NHL draft is something GMs have gotten down to a hard science and never f*** up.

Reactions: HabsMD97

NotLeddy

Trust the Yzerscam
Oct 23, 2018
If this is 50 NHL games or less, I don't see how Hronek doesn't make your list...

Personally my standard for a prospect is 25 NHL games or less, but considering he put up 23 pts in 46 games as a 21 year old D on the Red Wings of all teams, and has been a very productive offensive defenseman at the majority of levels he's played at, he should've been on the list of the first prospects you listed.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Because almost no one had those guys ahead of him before the draft? Why should where he was actually picked change anyone's mind? It's not like the NHL draft is something GMs have gotten down to a hard science and never **** up.

So Pronman, Button, HF rankings etc. are valued more?

What do rankings (not released by actual NHL teams) have to do with where players were actually selected (again, by actual NHL GM/Scouting staffs).

To each their own.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
So Pronman, Button, HF rankings etc. are valued more?

What do rankings (not released by actual NHL teams) have to do with where players were actually selected (again, by actual NHL GM/Scouting staffs).

To each their own.

You know that many people actually have personal opinions of these prospects, right? It's not just because [insert authority] said so (though your argument is essentially that we should defer to the authority of team scouts, so those 2 positions aren't really qualitatively different in any meaningful way). If, before the draft, I have Turcotte at 3 on my board and Dach at 5, should I flip them because that's the order they got drafted in? Obviously no, that's stupid---absolutely nothing has happened in that time that should change anyone's opinion of either player. No hockey has been played.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Exactly, which is why I posted my personal opinion on the subject and even included "to each their own".

fwiw, Im basing the 2019 draft rankings on an average from 14 reputable sources (see link). I dont think there anything better than that.

We looked at 14 sources to come up with EOTP’s Consensus NHL Draft Rankings

I mean weve seen it happen often where a guy was ranked higher than where he was picked, and many GMs regretted it. Forsberg, Barzal, Teravainen, Tarasenko, Chychrun all come to mind. And yes, the opposite happens a lot too (ie busts).

Last edited:

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Would you really have taken: Seider, Broberg, and Soderstrom over Caufield?.... I think the top goalscorer of the draft should be up there

he was projected around Cozens, Krebs, Podkolzin, and Boldy if you look at most final rankings

Yes, I could put Krebs and Boldy, but I thought there were enough 2019 picks already up there right now

You thought there were enough 2019 picks but put Caufield up there? It’s pretty clear why he’s up there and the other six aren’t.

Reactions: Isaac Nootin

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
You thought there were enough 2019 picks but put Caufield up there? It’s pretty clear why he’s up there and the other six aren’t.

if you think its because Im a Habs fan, well Im not. I just explained Caufield was ranked around: Cozens, Krebs, Podkolzin, and Boldy, and hes hands down the top goalscorer of the draft... The 4 Dmen taken before him were ranked after the aforementioned forwards from 13th-16th (see the link in my previous post for the consensus list).

and lemme guess, you think Seider should be there? Right. Him and Caufield couldve EASILY been switched (Caufield 6th, and Seider 15th). Which acutally wouldve made more sense. Dunno what Yzerman was thinking to be honest.

Last edited:

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
My next tiers would be:
I: Kaprizov
II: Glass, Zegras, Zadina, Necas, Dobson
III: Vesalainen, Denisekno, Bouchard, Ty Smith, Tolvanen, Frost, Farabee
IV: Terry, Wahlstrom, Boqvist, Hayton, Fox, Brannstrom, Podkolzin, Boldy, Poehling

I'd take Drake Batherson and Lias Andersson off the list. Replace with Frost, Terry, Smith or Denisenko.

Also, others to consider for 'to add' group: Owen Tippett, Rasmus Kupari

Reactions: Anichels

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
if you think its because Im a Habs fan, well Im not. I just explained Caufield was ranked around: Cozens, Krebs, Podkolzin, and Boldy, and hes hands down the top goalscorer of the draft... The 4 Dmen taken before him were ranked after the aforementioned forwards from 13th-16th (see the link in my previous post for the consensus list).

and lemme guess, you think Seider should be there? Right. Him and Caufield couldve EASILY been switched (Caufield 6th, and Seider 15th). Which acutally wouldve made more sense. Dunno what Yzerman was thinking to be honest.

Pretty sure Mantha was the top goal scorer of the 2013 draft. Doubt anyone would’ve included him over everyone drafted around him because of that. You’re biased here, it’s alright we understand.

No, I don’t think Seider should be up there yet. Who knows how he’ll turn out but he shouldn’t be up there as of now. I don’t see what my team has to do with this. But you can go ahead and be immature about it if you’d like.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
My next tiers would be:
I: Kaprizov
II: Glass, Zegras, Zadina, Necas, Dobson
III: Vesalainen, Denisekno, Bouchard, Ty Smith, Tolvanen, Frost, Farabee
IV: Terry, Wahlstrom, Boqvist, Hayton, Fox, Brannstrom, Podkolzin, Boldy, Poehling

I'd take Drake Batherson and Lias Andersson off the list. Replace with Frost, Terry, Smith or Denisenko.

Also, others to consider for 'to add' group: Owen Tippett, Rasmus Kupari

yes, I rotate those who get no/few votes

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Pretty sure Mantha was the top goal scorer of the 2013 draft. Doubt anyone would’ve included him over everyone drafted around him because of that. You’re biased here, it’s alright we understand.

No, I don’t think Seider should be up there yet. Who knows how he’ll turn out but he shouldn’t be up there as of now. I don’t see what my team has to do with this. But you can go ahead and be immature about it if you’d like.

Youre accusing me of being biased yet I just explained that he was CONSENSUSLY ranked around Cozens, Krebs, Podkolzin, and Boldy, and the 4 dmen were well after. Understand yet?

Am I also Canucks homer because I put Podkolzin over Broberg or Seider? I could easily put Boldy or Krebs over Caufield and Podkolzin, as they were all ranked around the same. But guess what, IT DOSENT MATTER. They arent going to be voted in for a while anyway. Youre just miffed that I have a Habs prospect up there, and feel the need to point the finger.

Whos being immature now?

Take the time to look up Caufield btw, and see the records hes broken. As of now, he was the steal of the draft whether you think so or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnLennon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad