HFBoards TOP 50 Prospect Ranking: #27 (closed)

• Max Comtois - W

• Josh Brook - D

• Dante Fabbro - D

• Oliver Wahlstrom - W

• Filip Hronek - D

• Sam Steel - C

• Jordan Kyrou - W

• Aleksi Heponiemi - W

• Philip Broberg - D

• K'Andre Miller - D

• Grigori Denisenko - W

• Alex Texier - C

• Adam Fox - D

• Peyton Krebs - C

• Jusso Valimaki - D

• Ryan Poehling - C

• Alex Newhook - C

• Elie Tolvanen - W

• Martin Kaut - W

• Victor Soderstrom - D

• Cam York - D

• Logan Brown - C

• Nick Suzuki - F

• Jesper Boqvist - W

• Joel Farabee - W

• Urho Vaakanainen - D

• Matthew Boldy - W

• Dillon Dube - W

• Henri Jokiharju - D

• Other (who?)

Results are only viewable after voting.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
That time of year.

Vote for who you think will be the best.

22 and under, 50 NHL GP or less, no goalies

1. Jack Hughes - C:devils14. Martin Necas - C:canes27. 40
2. Kaapo Kakko - W:rangers15. Noah Dobson - D:isles2841
3. Cale Makar - D:avs16. Adam Boqvist - D:hawks2942
4. Bowen Byram - D:avs17. Evan Bouchard - D:edmonton3043
5. Quinn Hughes - D:nucks18. Vasili Podkolzin - W:nucks3144
6. Alex Turcotte- C:kings19. Ty Smith - D:devils3245
7. Vitali Kravtsov - W:rangers20. Dylan Cozens - C:sabres3346
T8. Kirill Kaprizov - W:wild21. Drake Batherson - W:sens3447
T8. Kirby Dach - C:hawks22. Morgan Frost - C:flyers3548
10. Cody Glass - C:vegas23. Cole Caufield - W:habs3649
11. Erik Brannstrom - D:sens24. Barrett Hayton - C:coyotes3750
12. Filip Zadina - W:wings25. Moritz Seider - D:wings38
13. Trevor Zegras - C:ducks26. Rasmus Sandin - D :leafs39
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
to add:

Sami Niku
Alex Romanov
Ethan Bear
Kristian Vesalainen
Jason Robertson
Tyler Benson
Lias Andersson
Nic Hague
Owen Tippett
Troy Terry
Alex Nylander
Gabe Vilardi
Timothy Liljegren
Alex Barre-Boulet
Joe Veleno
Philippe Myers
Jayce Hawryluk
Connor Garland
Rasmus Kupari
Jeremy Bracco
Bode Wilde
Carl Grundstrom
Serron Noel
Cal Foote

Last edited:

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
after reseaching a little im going with Jokiharju here

Just turned 20 a month ago
12A in 38GP last season with CHI
17P in 30GP in the AHL (all at age 19)

71P in 63GP in the WHL in his D+1 (age 18)

Pretty impressive for a very young Dman. Not sure why Chiacgo traded him.

Henri Jokiharju at eliteprospects.com

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
others I feel arent getting enhough love:

Max Comtois, Maxime Comtois at eliteprospects.com
6'2 207lbs winger, turned 20 last Jan
75G in his last 79GP in the Q over the past 2 seasons!... even managed 7P in 10GP with the Ducks last season

Alex Texier , Alexandre Texier at eliteprospects.com
will be 20 in Sept
41P in 55GP in the Liiga last season (age 19), 7P in 7GP in the AHL
and obviously played in the playoffs last sason with CLB

Aleksi Heponiemi, Aleksi Heponiemi at eliteprospects.com
5'10 but very light, turned 20 last Jan
86P in 72GP in the WHL in his draft year (age 17/18!!)
118P in 57GP in his D+1 (age 18/19)
46 P in 50GP in the Liiga last season (age 19/20), 9P in 7GP in WJC

Last edited:
Reactions: Sstroh84

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Voted Broberg, was between him and Fabbro.

Surprised Fabbro wasn’t in yet.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Heponiemi can easily be at least top 20 if he can add some (quite a lot of) mass, but now he looks like a child playing with men especially when the going gets tough.

Reactions: amnesiac

lilmaxo

Jul 12, 2015
i think that at this point, heponiemi should be frunt runner. His production level just makes him that good

c4rdsh4rk

Sep 17, 2007
Comtois, hronek, fox, poehling

A lot of good prospects that could go anywhere in the next 10

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Id also would like to know whats the narative behind Seider, Podkolzin and Cozens going ahead of Boldy. Especially Seider, draft hype goes a long way, it seems.
Boldy was ranked 11th pre-draft, We looked at 14 sources to come up with EOTP’s Consensus NHL Draft Rankings

Personally I dont feel 17/18 year olds ranked 10th+ should be going before prospects whove proven themselves against men, and continued to produce at 18-20. Look at the past drafts and see how many top 15 picks are just nowhere to be found now.

Nothing against a guy like Boldy, he could be great for all I know, but Ill take the likes of : Steel, Comtois, Hepo before him in terms of forwards.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ana Crusis

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
I went Comtois since I blanked on his name in the last thread lol. Valimaki would have been my vote otherwise. I like the Jokiharu argument as well.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Boldy was ranked 11th pre-draft, We looked at 14 sources to come up with EOTP’s Consensus NHL Draft Rankings

Personally I dont feel 17/18 year olds ranked 10th+ should be going before prospects whove proven themselves against men, and continued to produce at 18-20. Look at the past drafts and see how many top 15 picks are just nowhere to be found now.

Nothing against a guy like Boldy, he could be great for all I know, but Ill take the likes of : Steel, Comtois, Hepo before him in terms of forwards.
This is madness. Absolute madness.

If you look at like the past five or six drafts the top 10/15 is pretty much all present, much more than players who had good D+1, imo. Tolvanen carried similar hype last year and now look at him. Really you have to go to 2016 to see a top 10 player not having much value with Puljujarvi?

And then again, it doesnt explain Seider.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Voted Deni again, though K'Andre & Valimaki were tempting.

after reseaching a little im going with Jokiharju here

Just turned 20 a month ago
12A in 38GP last season with CHI
17P in 30GP in the AHL (all at age 19)

71P in 63GP in the WHL in his D+1 (age 18)

Pretty impressive for a very young Dman. Not sure why Chiacgo traded him.

Henri Jokiharju at eliteprospects.com

Because Boqvist, Mitchell, & Beaudin are even better blueline prospects...especially the first 2...despite being further away, and Krys/Vlasic have comparable upside. Plus Jokiharju looks better on paper than he does the ice & has some real trade value with those NHL #s; so he made the most sense to trade of the glut.

Trading him for Nylander was dumb, but that's because of the target, not because trading him for a comparable forward prospect wouldn't have made sense if they had picked a better target.

Reactions: amnesiac

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Boldy and Newhook really need to be voted in. Sandin is a great prospect but its incredible that hed be voted ahead of them.

I'm not nearly as high on Newhook as you are...although as an Avs fan I certainly hope you are right lol...but folks put a lot of stock in #s & who is doing the best at the highest level right now; rather than projecting who's talent will make the greatest impact at the NHL level :dunno:

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Personally I go:

Valimaki
Steel
Dube

I know that’s two homer votes but both guys were studs in their first AHL years. Can’t see how Comtois goes before Sam Steel for Anaheim prospects.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I'm not nearly as high on Newhook as you are...although as an Avs fan I certainly hope you are right lol...but folks put a lot of stock in #s & who is doing the best at the highest level right now; rather than projecting who's talent will make the greatest impact at the NHL level :dunno:
Thats fair if people actually believe that, but really how does that explain Seider? I mean Newhook just had the best BCHL season in recent memory in points relative to teammates, so its not like he did not dominate his peers and he was absolutely dominant at the u18s too.

Its all really weird to me.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
This is madness. Absolute madness.

If you look at like the past five or six drafts the top 10/15 is pretty much all present, much more than players who had good D+1, imo. Tolvanen carried similar hype last year and now look at him. Really you have to go to 2016 to see a top 10 player not having much value with Puljujarvi?

And then again, it doesnt explain Seider.
2014: Dal Colle, Virtanen
2015: Zacha, Crouse, Gurianov, Zboril, Senyshyn
2016: Pulju, Juolevi, A.Nylander, McLeod, Bean

I mean, granted, the jury is still out on some, and others I didnt list are 3rd/4th liners (Perlini, Bennett, Jost, Ritchie).... all to say, Boldy is far from being a sure fire top 6 player. I put in the same rank as: Krebs, Podkolzin, Caufield, Newhook. Theyre 17/18 year olds, the most unproven of the list.

as for Seider, people just saw where he was drafted. Nothing more.

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Personally I go:

Valimaki
Steel
Dube

I know that’s two homer votes but both guys were studs in their first AHL years. Can’t see how Comtois goes before Sam Steel for Anaheim prospects.
Dubé is fine but theres probably 30 to 40 guys that should still be ahead of him here. Hes probably really close to NHL ready but really, where is his upside?

Reactions: Llamamoto49

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Dubé is fine but theres probably 30 to 40 guys that should still be ahead of him here. Hes probably really close to NHL ready but really, where is his upside?

Personally, I think Dube has a chance to be a number 1 C. I honestly think he has a chance to be a better player than Tkachuk or Monahan (although not as gifted offensively). In the preaseason the Oilers broadcast team was comparing him to Brayden Point

I think he had a top 5-10 ppg for players 20 and under in the history of the AHL. Plus he is an absolute stud defensively/ he is a possession monster.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Thats fair if people actually believe that, but really how does that explain Seider? I mean Newhook just had the best BCHL season in recent memory in points relative to teammates, so its not like he did not dominate his peers and he was absolutely dominant at the u18s too.

Its all really weird to me.

Good question on Seider, dunno what drove that other than maybe his late rise making people think that there's something to him that they'd been missing?

Personally, I think Byram was the only blueliner in this class who goes top 10 in each of the past 10 drafts, so I expected a team (or two) to reach for Seider or Broberg because this blueline class just isn't as stacked as the past few. Not saying they're bad prospects, just that they were over-drafted compared to guys I liked more like Valimaki or K'Andre Miller, who went much later just a year ago and guys I like a lot more (like Hughes), who went around were Seider did.

But the post you quoted is why guys like Sandin going higher than I have him, or someone like Jokiharju making the list before Ian Mitchell, doesn't surprise me.

Last edited:
Reactions: BabyPanda

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad