HFBoards TOP 50 Prospect Ranking: #18 (closed)

• Drake Batherson - W

• Rasmus Sandin - D

• Dante Fabbro - D

• Nick Suzuki - F

• Dylan Cozens - C

• Oliver Wahlstrom - W

• Ryan Poehling - C

• Cole Caufield - W

• K'Andre Miller - D

• Morgan Frost - C

• Gabe Vilardi - C

• Jusso Valimaki - D

• Sami Niku - D

• Vasili Podkolzin - W

• Adam Fox - D

• Barrett Hayton - C

• Ty Smith - D

• Mortiz Seider - D

• Aleksi Heponiemi - F

• Sam Steel - C

• Grigori Denisenko - W

• other (who?)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Names I would drop from voting:
Gabe Vilardi
Rasmus Sandin
K'Andre Miller
Sami Niku
K’Andre Miller has #1 d-man upside and a really high ceiling in general. And his floor isn’t bad either, so even if he doesn’t become a #1 d-man, he can realistically be a top 4 guy.

Edit: Also, his PPG was higher than Makar’s was in his freshman year. And he isn’t even considered an offensive defenseman.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Crypto Guy

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
There’s actually not a lot of PPG players in the AHL. It’s a more physical and lower scoring league.

Go check the stats out yourself and see how many PPG players there are. You’ll be shocked.
Fair enough.

But hes 21. If a guy like Necas posted that at 19, Batherson shouldnt be 5-7 spots behind him on a best prospects list. Ty Smith was PPG as a defenseman at 19 while being strong defensively. If he played in the AHL at 21 who knows what he’d put up (he wont though, hes starting in the NHL this year)

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Fair enough.

But hes 21. If a guy like Necas posted that at 19, Batherson shouldnt be 5-7 spots behind him on a best prospects list. Ty Smith was PPG as a defenseman at 19 while being strong defensively. If he played in the AHL at 21 who knows what he’d put up (he wont though, hes starting in the NHL this year)

For sure, I’m a big Ty Smith fan. He’s a good Western Canadian boy and has tremendous leadership qualities as well. Any franchise would be blessed to have a high character kid like Ty Smith on their roster with his skillset.

He’ll be your future captain before he’s 25, book it.

However, being a PPG player like Benson and Batherson are in the AHL at 21 is a tough thing to do. I just wanted to point out to you that being a PPG in the AHL is actually quite rare as a youngster.

I think most fans are surprised at how much lower scoring of a league it is in terms of players putting up big individual numbers.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
right and if Batherson's a Devil youd be voting him every poll. We get it.

Smith may play, doesnt mean he'll be good. Ask those I mentioned.
I partially agree with you, but you can’t fault a guy for playing against lesser competition. I’m a Rangers fan, but I think Hughes is a slightly better prospect than Kakko even though Kakko is proven against men. I guess it depends on whether you value upside or certainty more.

Nonetheless, I think Ty Smith is a really good prospect. I know he isn’t proven against men but I care about his upside more. K’Andre Miller, Ty Smith, Cozens, Caufield, and Podkolzin are the next tier for me, with Batherson, Sandin, Frost, and Fox close behind. But those prospects are all so close that I wouldn’t really care which order they come in.

Last edited:

Sstroh84

May 28, 2015
Columbus, OH
Feel like Alexander Texier is being heavily underrated. He was a very good player in SM-liiga for two season and significantly improved his defensive game.

AHL stats:
7 GP - 5G - 2A - 7P

NHL stats:
Regular Season
2 GP - 1G - 0A - 1P
Playoffs
8 GP - 2G - 1A - 3P

This kid is only 19 years old and will probably be the best NHL player ever from France. Already suggested he be added to the add list, but it did not happen. The kid is a stud and may score 25 goals in the NHL this season.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Names I would drop from voting:
Gabe Vilardi
Rasmus Sandin
K'Andre Miller
Sami Niku
Hold on, hold on.

On the last poll, Rasmus Sandin was on your list of 'defensemen that should be voted next'
On this poll however, he's someone you don't think should even be an option?

Any clarity?

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
Hold on, hold on.

On the last poll, Rasmus Sandin was on your list of 'defensemen that should be voted next'
On this poll however, he's someone you don't think should even be an option?

Any clarity?
Oh. Did I? I, um, ah, ok. This is embarrassing.

[drops paper, fumbles with glasses]

Sorry folks, I guess I gave very little clarity. This time I checked back to my own rankings and tried to be consistent with those. Must have skipped that last time. Won't happen again.

Nice spot, Advanced Stats. And thanks for keeping me honest.

Sandin is #76 on my list. All the others are on there as well.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Oh. Did I? I, um, ah, ok. This is embarrassing.

[drops paper, fumbles with glasses]

Sorry folks, I guess I gave very little clarity. This time I checked back to my own rankings and tried to be consistent with those. Must have skipped that last time. Won't happen again.

Nice spot, Advanced Stats. And thanks for keeping me honest.

Sandin is #76 on my list. All the others are on there as well.
Why are you so low on him?

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I didnt realize that Hronek is eligible in these polls. He should absolutely be on there. I also dont think Morgan Frost is much different of a prospect from Joe Veleno so to have him on here consistently but not Veleno seems odd.

As for this poll I went with Batherson. Hes on a big time upward trajectory which I like and he was impressive in the NHL on his call up in the games I watched

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
I didnt realize that Hronek is eligible in these polls. He should absolutely be on there. I also dont think Morgan Frost is much different of a prospect from Joe Veleno so to have him on here consistently but not Veleno seems odd.

As for this poll I went with Batherson. Hes on a big time upward trajectory which I like and he was impressive in the NHL on his call up in the games I watched

Ive had Veleno up for the last 4-5 polls and got no more than 1 vote each poll.... what can you do?

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Smith than Hayton

Hopefully I don't have to keep those two as my votes much longer lol

Also, watching both Smith and the Oilers prospect... Yeah, I wouldn't take Bouchard or any Oilers prospect over Smith. Smith is a pretty exceptional talent with such a high upside, at 21 I wouldn't be shocked if he was able to put up PPG numbers in the AHL

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I mean I do think that Zegras is the higher upside guy and all but I do find it amusing that a lot of the top 2019 guys went so high and Cozens is dropping like a rock.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Yeah I knnow, I'm not blaming you just more of a general observation. Frost is getting a good number of the votes and Veleno doesnt get any when realistically theyre really comparable as prospects

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
I mean I do think that Zegras is the higher upside guy and all but I do find it amusing that a lot of the top 2019 guys went so high and Cozens is dropping like a rock.
I'm just not as high on Cozens as I was on Zegras, but that's just my own board.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Went with Podkolzin for upside but Frost outta be getting some love here soon.

I kinda mentioned it earlier in the thread but how do you think Frost compares as a prospect to Veleno? I'm genuinely curious what the comparison is like from the other side of the coin. I have them as pretty comparable

dirtydantheflyersman

Aug 31, 2018
Philadelphia
I kinda mentioned it earlier in the thread but how do you think Frost compares as a prospect to Veleno? I'm genuinely curious what the comparison is like from the other side of the coin. I have them as pretty comparable
They do share some similarities for sure in the way they attack in the offensive zone. I think Frost is a better skater and shooter but Veleno has better hands and passing. Both slight guys that will become even more dominant as they gain strength, I like the comparison.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad