HFBoards Top 31 NHL Wingers

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
I would rank McDavid at the top because even though he’s the leagues best Center, he plays Wing on the face offs and is so good at retrieving the puck after the draw.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Benn, Kessel, Laine really stick out as not belonging on the list
Kessel has outscored Skinner by over 60 points in the last two seasons. By metric, Skinner shouldn't be close either.

Honestly Kessel could be higher for me. He's a PPG guy.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
And? So apparently Crosby can turn any scrub into a 40 goal, 76 point scorers? Is that why Guentzel is literally the first winger who has ever done that next to Crosby?

Not saying Guentzel isn’t good but he’s propped up quite a bit by Sid

Crosby got Kunitz on the Olympic team...he has the ability to elevate his line mates to a ridiculous degree.

Eichel is no Crosby and Skinner has previously potted 37 playing on Carolina’s third line.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Not saying Guentzel isn’t good but he’s propped up quite a bit by Sid

Crosby got Kunitz on the Olympic team...he has the ability to elevate his line mates to a ridiculous degree.

Eichel is no Crosby and Skinner has previously potted 37 playing on Carolina’s third line.

"Propped up quite a bit by Sid" infers that Guentzel's totals wouldn't be anywhere close to what they were if you swapped centers. You really think if Guentzel was with Eichel instead, he'd, what, drop 10 goals and 20 points?

Again, no winger who has played with Crosby has ever scored 40 goals or 76 points (unless someone wants to get smart and include Geno in there). So it's not as easy as just plop a 20 goal, 40 point guy on Sid's wing and he'll turn him into a 40 goal, 75+ point guy.

Guentzel's not being given enough credit for what he brings to the table, which is much better playmaking ability than Skinner to go along with relatively equal goal scoring (even if you want to give Skinner a slight edge due to multiple seasons of 30+ goals).

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
"Propped up quite a bit by Sid" infers that Guentzel's totals wouldn't be anywhere close to what they were if you swapped centers. You really think if Guentzel was with Eichel instead, he'd, what, drop 10 goals and 20 points?

Again, no winger who has played with Crosby has ever scored 40 goals or 76 points (unless someone wants to get smart and include Geno in there). So it's not as easy as just plop a 20 goal, 40 point guy on Sid's wing and he'll turn him into a 40 goal, 75+ point guy.

Guentzel's not being given enough credit for what he brings to the table, which is much better playmaking ability than Skinner to go along with relatively equal goal scoring (even if you want to give Skinner a slight edge due to multiple seasons of 30+ goals).

“No winger who has played with Crosby has ever gotten 76 points or 40 goals”.

You act as if this statement holds a great deal of value. I mean okay yes, I think Guentzel is better than Chris Kunitz and Pascal Dupuis?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
“No winger who has played with Crosby has ever gotten 76 points or 40 goals”.

You act as if this statement holds a great deal of value. I mean okay yes, I think Guentzel is better than Chris Kunitz and Pascal Dupuis?

No, I'm pointing out that a player doesn't simply put up the type of numbers Guentzel did last year simply by virtue of getting to play next to Crosby.

Guentzel's numbers last year are better than anything Skinner has ever produced. So unless you're insisting that's only because Crosby is worth 10+ goals and 20+ points to any winger he plays with, you're not giving Guentzel enough credit for his own season.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
No, I'm pointing out that a player doesn't simply put up the type of numbers Guentzel did last year simply by virtue of getting to play next to Crosby.

Guentzel's numbers last year are better than anything Skinner has ever produced. So unless you're insisting that's only because Crosby is worth 10+ goals and 20+ points to any winger he plays with, you're not giving Guentzel enough credit for his own season.

I'd be interested to see Guentzel's stats away from Crosby.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

When he's away from Crosby, he's on the 3rd or 4th line playing with 3rd or 4th line centers. How is that an accurate portrayal of what he would do with another 1st line center just not named Crosby? It's not like when he plays on the third line, he's playing with a Jack Eichel caliber center.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Though, fun fact, in 2017-18 (since it's a bigger sample size of him being away from Crosby), Guentzel's production rates were actually better with Riley Sheahan at 3C than they were with Crosby.

Crosby (653:03 at 5on5) - 5G, 12A, 17P
Sheahan (252:21 at 5on5) - 6G, 5A, 11P

That's 2.62 P/60 with Sheahan and only 1.57 P/60 with Crosby.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Things Guentzel is better at than Skinner:
Having a higher number in the "A" column on NHL.com

Things Skinner is better at than Guentzel:
Everything not mentioned above

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
He spent an entire season on mcdavids line. (This next part is not to far fetched of thinking though). Unless mclellan is an idiot through and through and had mcdavid on the wing and draisaitl as the center then i can only guess is yes draisaitl is a winger. Same kind of thing as with pavelski.
Entire? Might want to check your stats on that one.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
I'd have Ovechkin above Kane, but otherwise you can't really complain about this list. Vastly superior to the lolNHL list.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad