8235619638.1%
#5Patrice Bergeron34:bruins
3.png
6532477950.9%
#6Evgeni Malkin33:pens
9.png
6821517264.3%
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Rank hyperlinks direct to the corresponding voting thread.
Player hyperlinks direct to the corresponding player's hockey-reference.com page.

Suggested Additions:
Max Domi (1)
William Karlsson (1)

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Stamkos for me. Don't really know why he isn't getting more hype. 45 goals and 98 points last year, and his history shows that he clearly isn't simply riding his teammates' coat tails - they're just all good players that make each other better. Same thing that players like Matthews and Bergeron benefit from.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
i dont know enough about hockey to say so i present this as a question : how many other centers can haul the puck up ice and make succesful set up passes , plus hound any opponant center all 60 minutes like larkin can ? haulin the mail and shuttin down opponant stars doesnt show in stats , ecspecially when larkins bringing the puck into opponant zone with no good teammate dmen to play catch with , but is extremely important to winning . and larkins up there near mcdavid level at these two aspects . throw in 30 goals and ide bet coaches rank him in the top 10

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Stamkos for me. Don't really know why he isn't getting more hype. 45 goals and 98 points last year, and his history shows that he clearly isn't simply riding his teammates' coat tails - they're just all good players that make each other better. Same thing that players like Matthews and Bergeron benefit from.

30pts less than the leading scorer on the team doesnt scream top 10 player

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
30pts less than the leading scorer on the team doesnt scream top 10 player

Yep, let's punish him for his teammate having arguably the best single season we've seen a player have post-lockout. Makes perfect sense.

Matthews played with Tavares, Marner, and Rielly; should we knock him down a few pegs for that as well?

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
I love stammer and he is the 2nd best sniper around for me, but he isn’t great at driving his own line IN MY OPINION. He is a monster when paired with a good winger (MSL, Kuch), but I think I like him now more as our 2C than if he had to drive a first line on his own. I can see him still being top 10, but I would put Point and Matthews ahead of him, and then him and Scheifele and Tavares are a toss up. If he can put it all together in the playoffs then his production would put him above those two, but his issues are well documented

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012

He is a super dangerous player but when I watch him play he’s not as impressive as some of the guys on this list. As someone else alluded to he’s not really a guy to drive the line which I personally value a lot in centres.

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
He is a super dangerous player but when I watch him play he’s not as impressive as some of the guys on this list. As someone else alluded to he’s not really a guy to drive the line which I personally value a lot in centres.
I think stamkos could actually be a sick (top 3) LW if he took that role. If he took a drai-esque role of being a winger who takes face offs he would be able to just produce with less pressure. However that would require a big step up from cirelli to be able to produce at an adequate 2C level on our team

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa

Matthews does not get to play with Kucherov level players at ES, he played all season with Johnsson, Marleau, and Kapanen. Stammer is sick and gets super underrated, I'm with you there, but clumping Matthews in there with Stamkos and Bergeron as benefiting from star wingers is not accurate.

In 2018-2019 Nylander assisted on two of Matthews' goals at ES. Neither Tavares nor Marner recorded an assist on a Matthews ES goal.
Matthews assisted on two ES goals for each of Nylander, Tavares, and Marner.

Out of the 53 points Matthews scored at ES, his elite forward teammates were in on just 8 of them.

Kucherov assisted on 11 Stamkos goals. Stamkos assisted on 4 Kucherov goals. Point and Stamkos linked up for three goals by Point. That's 18 ES points for Stamkos with his elite forward teammates.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
I love stammer and he is the 2nd best sniper around for me, but he isn’t great at driving his own line IN MY OPINION. He is a monster when paired with a good winger (MSL, Kuch), but I think I like him now more as our 2C than if he had to drive a first line on his own. I can see him still being top 10, but I would put Point and Matthews ahead of him, and then him and Scheifele and Tavares are a toss up. If he can put it all together in the playoffs then his production would put him above those two, but his issues are well documented

Point isn’t better than Stamkos. His shooting percentage was ridiculous last season. He’ll have a regression in goal scoring similar to William Karlsson.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I think stamkos could actually be a sick (top 3) LW if he took that role. If he took a drai-esque role of being a winger who takes face offs he would be able to just produce with less pressure. However that would require a big step up from cirelli to be able to produce at an adequate 2C level on our team

Does Johnson not play center anymore? Couldn't he fill the #2 center role adequately?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I'm just gonna vote Stamkos because I'm angry at the last poll and Laty brought up some really good points about him.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
Imagine thinking Stamkos is better than Point. Feel like no one here ever watches these people play and everyone just pulls up eliteprospects to make their pick.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Matthews or O'Rielly for me. Kopitar should be in the next couple as well. Not necessarily the best hockey players in the list, but the best at playing center.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
If you remove all the names and just list the numbers both offensively and defensively and look at the last two years the choice at #7 would be the guy that eventually go in the 20's due to being massively underrated on these boards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad