Who is the better goaltender?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Price and Vasilevskiy are close enough for a tiebreaker for #1.

Winner gets #1, loser gets #2.

Simply vote for you who think is better.

Only going to stay open for 24 hours.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
Must be nice for Vasi to play for the best team with one of the best defense in front of him. Even then, he gets swept in the 1st round of playoffs.

Price, on the other hand, plays in front of ass. Weber and Petry are the only solid defensemen in front of him. But yeah, Price sucks, Habs suck.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Winner gets #1, loser gets #2.
I don't think that's right. Gibson had a ton of votes, and you're taking away a significant amount of people's votes who originally voted for Vas/Price that could be voting for Gibson. Still don't think it was out of the realm of possibility that Gibson could have won this poll.

Especially if Vas ends up winning this I'd speculate that a lot of people that voted Vas would vote for Gibson over Price. Vas/Gibson votes are more about what they've done lately vs. Price being based more around reputation.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
he just had a good year with one of the leagues worst defences.... where were you?

.918 save percentage does not earn you the title of best goaltender in the world, full stop

and the poor defense excuse is tired and old. Price apologists say their D sucks every year, so if it sucks every year why does his save percentage vary so much? If he put up .934 with shitty D before, then why are we giving him the benefit of the doubt two years in a row?

if he has a good year next year you can probably start throwing his name back into these conversations again

if McDavid has two seasons of say 50-60 points in a row, no one is mentioning him as top player in the league anymore

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I don't think that's right. Gibson had a ton of votes, and you're taking away a significant amount of people's votes who originally voted for Vas/Price that could be voting for Gibson. Still don't think it was out of the realm of possibility that Gibson could have won this poll.

Especially if Vas ends up winning this I'd speculate that a lot of people that voted Vas would vote for Gibson over Price. Vas/Gibson votes are more about what they've done lately vs. Price being based more around reputation.

Agreed. I’m guessing it’s mostly Habs fans voting for Price.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
.918 save percentage does not earn you the title of best goaltender in the world, full stop

and the poor defense excuse is tired and old. Price apologists say their D sucks every year, so if it sucks every year why does his save percentage vary so much? If he put up .934 with ****ty D before, then why are we giving him the benefit of the doubt two years in a row?

if he has a good year next year you can probably start throwing his name back into these conversations again

if McDavid has two seasons of say 50-60 points in a row, no one is mentioning him as top player in the league anymore
Subban/Weber, Markov and Petry were absolutely not shitty D so stop lying. Everyone besides Weber, Petry and Benn got sent down or cleared waivers at some point. If that isnt shitty D, I dont know what is. You wont find many arguing that he is still the same goalie as his Hart year, but it's not a reach at all to say that he is the best goalie in the league.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Price might be the most overrated goaltender in the league. Why should he be an option here?

He shouldn't. No one can explain why he's an option either. He's not a bad goalie, but there are numerous better goalies. Price is inconsistent, doesn't have the numbers of some of the other goalies, and hasn't been in the best goalie in the league discussion for a few years. It seems like a lot of the Price votes are Habs fans stuffing the ballot box.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
Subban/Weber, Markov and Petry were absolutely not ****ty D so stop lying. Everyone besides Weber, Petry and Benn got sent down or cleared waivers at some point. If that isnt ****ty D, I dont know what is. You wont find many arguing that he is still the same goalie as his Hart year, but it's not a reach at all to say that he is the best goalie in the league.

So the best goalie in the league needs Noreis quality dmen to excel? Sounds good.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
CDF99B83-B1D0-4297-9953-457BB47CDA0B.png
Must be f***ing tough playing behind this shit tier defense..

Count me among them. He's still best in the league. The D he's behind is a joke.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
So the best goalie in the league needs Noreis quality dmen to excel? Sounds good.
So the best goalie in the league cant have more than 3 dmen that can stay in the NHL for the whole year? Sounds good.

Also, you said shitty defense with Subban/Weber, Markov, Petry but then you say that Price needs Norris caliber dmen to excel. Make up your mind instead of spewing contradictory garbage.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
View attachment 249217 Must be ****ing tough playing behind this **** tier defense..
It's a shitty D.

The Canadiens were good at shot differential this past season. That's true. However, they were also one of the worst teams in the league at giving up shots in close. Combine those two factors together (fewer shots but better quality ones) and your goalie's save percentage is going to get killed.

Half his D was waived or moved to the minors last season. And it's not a coincidence that once Weber came back his numbers improved to the tune of .925. Weber is an overrated blueliner but he's miles ahead of what they had back there. They have basically two legit NHLers on the blueline last year... Petry and Weber (who missed about two months of the year.)

I don't care how good a goalie you are, you're going to take a big hit on your save percentage when you're stuck behind a group like that.

His blueline last season:

Weber (missed two months)
Petry
Jordie Benn (absolutely horrific when used in the top six and let go in the offseason)
Mete

Rotating cast of journeymen, rookies and scrubs
Kulak
Mike Reilly
Chaput (dumped)
Juulesen (rookie)
Schlemko (waived)
Ouellette (waived)

It is a horrific group of players. Esp on the left side.

Flip the teams they're on and these two goalies would have had drastically different save percentages. Even with the clubs they were on, Price equals Vas at .925 from the point Weber comes back on Nov 27th to the end of the year. That's not coincidence.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad