Who is the better goaltender?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I don't understand Gibson at #1.

He has never won a vezina. Not a finalist. His best showing is 7th place 4 years ago.

I'm not saying he's not talented and couldn't take over as #1 overall - but he needs to actually accomplish something to do so.

It would be like saying McDavid was the best player in the world in his rookie year. No - Crosby, Kane, others...year 2 when he won the hart/lindsay? Sure, maybe (even then - i think it's more by year 3 where you call him that conclusively).

I think saying Gibson is #1 today is just overreach. Players still in majority pick Price at #1. Vasi is up there just won a vezina. Bob could have an argument. I think Gibson is behind all 3 of them.
I think people get too tied up with big landmark seasons or moments when it comes to goaltending. It's such an inconsistent position by nature that when you do find someone who is able to be consistently great, it's unbelievably rare. It's the whole reason why there is so much disagreement on who #1 is because there are different guys that step up in different seasons, and people don't know how much to attribute to recent play or overall reputation.

While he doesn't have the longest track record, Gibson really hasn't dipped below great his entire career so far despite playing with good/great teams and awful teams, and that is very rare.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Traditional Goalie stats are 90% team reflective these days. Show me the advanced stats, it's the only way to compare goalies.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I don’t think it’s fair to dock Howard for being more consistent. Career .914 for Howard and .918 for Price. I’m not saying Howard is better, but holy hell is Price overrated.

That has nothing to do with better consistency. Again, we're talking about a single outlier for both in the last 6 seasons.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
That has nothing to do with better consistency. Again, we're talking about a single outlier for both in the last 6 seasons.

You go back one more season and Price has another poor year. If we go with all the seasons, their save percentage is pretty close as I posted in the post you quoted. What’s our excuse for this one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad