Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
giphy.gif

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
.918 save percentage does not earn you the title of best goaltender in the world, full stop

and the poor defense excuse is tired and old. Price apologists say their D sucks every year, so if it sucks every year why does his save percentage vary so much? If he put up .934 with ****ty D before, then why are we giving him the benefit of the doubt two years in a row?

if he has a good year next year you can probably start throwing his name back into these conversations again

if McDavid has two seasons of say 50-60 points in a row, no one is mentioning him as top player in the league anymore
he had a bad start with Weber's absence, and was one of the league's best goalies after Jan 1..... he didnt finish 7th in Vezina voting because he had a bad year.

After Weber and Petry the Habs had 4 fringe dmen: Mete, Reilly, Benn, and Kulak. The Habs never really had that bad a bottom 4 before. Say what you want.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I dont like how this poll was made.

Should include Gibson for a three way race.

Except he was down by 10 votes to each of them when this tiebreaker was made. Based on the votes, he wasn't close enough to put here.

I don't think that's right. Gibson had a ton of votes, and you're taking away a significant amount of people's votes who originally voted for Vas/Price that could be voting for Gibson. Still don't think it was out of the realm of possibility that Gibson could have won this poll.

Especially if Vas ends up winning this I'd speculate that a lot of people that voted Vas would vote for Gibson over Price. Vas/Gibson votes are more about what they've done lately vs. Price being based more around reputation.

And we could speculate the opposite way as well. The way I see it, tying the 1st poll and going to a tiebreaker shouldn't be held against someone. Price and Vasilevskiy both beat Gibson by 10 votes each in the 1st poll - the safe assumption is that that would hold, not the opposite, which is what you're speculating.

It also is not ideal, but I'm voluntarily running over 120 of these - if I can minimize that number in a way that seems logical (such as giving the loser of a tiebreaker the next spot), I'm going to. It's not like it's going to dramatically shift the results in any way, either. I think it's very clear that Price, Gibson, and Vasi are the top 3 goaltenders according to the HF collective, and it seems to me that where in the top 3 each fall is wildly up in the air. No matter who gets it of the 3, some people will be upset. There's no way to appease everyone. So instead, this is simply going to be run as logically and efficiently as I can.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The best goaltender in the league is Sergei Bobrovsky. It's not close. 61.6 goals saved in the last three years, 1st in the NHL. Those are borderline generational numbers.

Price and Vasilevskiy are 53rd and 54th in the league over the same three years, both with a negative goals saved above average.

Bobrovsky also leads all goalies in WAR. Price and Vasilevskiy are 21st and 23rd.

This f***ing site.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The last three full NHL seasons, Carey Price is 21st in WAR, 20th in sv%, 34th in GAA, and 53rd in GSAA.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Except he was down by 10 votes to each of them when this tiebreaker was made. Based on the votes, he wasn't close enough to put here.

And we could speculate the opposite way as well. The way I see it, tying the 1st poll and going to a tiebreaker shouldn't be held against someone. Price and Vasilevskiy both beat Gibson by 10 votes each in the 1st poll - the safe assumption is that that would hold, not the opposite, which is what you're speculating.

It also is not ideal, but I'm voluntarily running over 120 of these - if I can minimize that number in a way that seems logical (such as giving the loser of a tiebreaker the next spot), I'm going to. It's not like it's going to dramatically shift the results in any way, either. I think it's very clear that Price, Gibson, and Vasi are the top 3 goaltenders according to the HF collective, and it seems to me that where in the top 3 each fall is wildly up in the air. No matter who gets it of the 3, some people will be upset. There's no way to appease everyone. So instead, this is simply going to be run as logically and efficiently as I can.
Ya that's fair, makes sense to minimize where you can. Appreciate the effort you're putting into running these.

Reactions: LatvianTwist

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Yet Carey Price behind a similar defense is somehow the best goaltender in the league?

Howard's numbers are only close over those 3 seasons because of one outlier spike season for him and one outlier down season for Price. Howard has one season above a .910 SV% the past 6 seasons. Price has only one season under .918 SV% in that same time frame. Their numbers are not similar

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
79603D70-12FE-4D23-9E8A-E984638C289A.jpeg

Here we have the most recent year and won’t you look at that Vasy and Price are at the top. Anyways imo advanced stats for goalies are a complete waste of time since there is so much information that they don’t take into account.

The best goaltender in the league is Sergei Bobrovsky. It's not close. 61.6 goals saved in the last three years, 1st in the NHL. Those are borderline generational numbers.

Price and Vasilevskiy are 53rd and 54th in the league over the same three years, both with a negative goals saved above average.

Bobrovsky also leads all goalies in WAR. Price and Vasilevskiy are 21st and 23rd.

This ****ing site.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I think that Price can still be the best in the world, but he needs to stay healthy and he needs to not be so overplayed while healthy.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Howard's numbers are only close over those 3 seasons because of one outlier spike season for him and one outlier down season for Price. Howard has one season above a .910 SV% the past 6 seasons. Price has only one season under .918 SV% in that same time frame. Their numbers are not similar

I don’t think it’s fair to dock Howard for being more consistent. Career .914 for Howard and .918 for Price. I’m not saying Howard is better, but holy hell is Price overrated.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Gibson is #1 for me, neither of these goalies are but what you gonna do. For this tiebreaker, I gotta go with Vasi.

I don't understand Gibson at #1.

He has never won a vezina. Not a finalist. His best showing is 7th place 4 years ago.

I'm not saying he's not talented and couldn't take over as #1 overall - but he needs to actually accomplish something to do so.

It would be like saying McDavid was the best player in the world in his rookie year. No - Crosby, Kane, others...year 2 when he won the hart/lindsay? Sure, maybe (even then - i think it's more by year 3 where you call him that conclusively).

I think saying Gibson is #1 today is just overreach. Players still in majority pick Price at #1. Vasi is up there just won a vezina. Bob could have an argument. I think Gibson is behind all 3 of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->