HFBoards Ranks Everything - time for the redux?

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
Was taking a look at the previous 'Ranks everything' thread, stickied to the top of the page - and none of the links seem to really work anymore. To top that off, it has been 5 calendar years since we ran most of those previous threads (with some even older than that). Do we reckon it's time to host them again? The last swath were really fun, and led to some super-engaging, positive conversations about music, games, film & books.

I'm not sure if we have to get moderator support behind this, but what is the general consensus here?

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I used to enjoy doing them but it sucks when there's no support behind it. I'd always participate though, unless it's something I know nothing about.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I've always assumed that if you do it, people will find every excuse to flock to it, and that you can't miss with that kind of thread.

Personally, while I probably don't have the willpower not to participate when it happens either way, I mostly dislike and get annoyed by the "board consensus" aspect of it-- just becomes kind of a deflating popularity contest with predictable and uninteresting results.

If it's just extensive discussion, ranking, gushing, and debate about what we think are the best of each thing, bouncing ideas off each other, I'd be a lot more supportive.

Some random ideas that I actually have some interest in: why don't we ever mix and match things from different mediums? I think the comparisons would be just as valid, personally, and the results would be more interesting/unpredictable/curious. I have no idea what the most appreciated "thing", period, is around here. Is it a movie? A song? An album? A TV show? A videogame? A book? A standup routine? That would be fun to get to the bottom of. Or maybe pit the overall body of work of different people/artists against each other?

Last edited:

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I was planning on making HF's favourite album a once-a-decade type thing, so if you leave that until next January for me that'd be great. I can't wait to post the original list and laugh at the amount of people who voted for Mumford & Sons

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad